Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM

69 posts, read 144,540 times

Advertisements

I'm an African-American professional in my late 30s’ with an excellent job opportunity in Lancaster, TX. My family and I are looking for a beautiful, safe and diverse community with excellent schools. Every website, blog and discussion forum I've read has described Richardson, TX as "the perfect place to live." Is this true for ALL RACES? Are there any black people in Richardson? How are the top public schools in the area? Are there black stay-at-home mothers in the Richardson area? Are there diverse activities for children under the age of 5?

Our budget is no more than $350,000 for a home. We prefer 4+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms home with at least 2500 sq ft.

Please feel free to suggest other areas outside of Richardson, TX and not too far from Lancaster, TX. I look forward to reading your open and honest thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I personally feel it is. Richardson is a pretty racially harmonous place (and there are suburbs of DFW that arent, like Farmers Branch and Mesquite). 350k should get you a decent house as well. Richardson has good schools, its safe, and people seem to get along.

I wouldnt hesitate to move there if I were you. Where are you coming from?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
IMO - Richardson is to far away from Lancaster by car for a rational commute.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:03 PM

I appreciate your quick reply. We are moving from NOVA (Northern Virginia). I have never visited Dallas before, but can you tell me how the commute from Richardson to Lancaster is.
Currently, it takes me 60 to 75 minutes one way to commute to/from work (from northern VA to Washington, DC on a 16 miles distance.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
IMO - Richardson is to far away from Lancaster by car for a rational commute.

Welcome to Texas!
I agree with Richardson being too far from Lancaster- it's got to be an hour's drive or longer.

I would first look at Cedar Hill. It is one of the most diverse suburbs in Dallas- nearly 1/3 black, 1/3 white, 1/3 Hispanic. Good public schools- not the best in the metroplex, but you can certainly get a great education in AP/Honors classes in high school and several of the elementary schools are exemplary rated. It is a beautiful suburb- very hilly and near a lake. Great shopping- the Uptown Village is fairly new and has tons of stores and good restaurants. More middle class blacks there (SAHM's, professional dads & working moms, etc) than any other place in the metroplex I can think of. But not a "black bubble" either! Your price range for housing is in line with the area, which will mostly be newer homes. Guessing it's a 15-20 minute commute to Lancaster.

Other options would be to live in Dallas->
1. Kessler Park/Stevens Park/Winnetka Heights neighborhoods in 75208, North Oak Cliff. Need private school or magnets for grades 6-12 as only the neighborhood public elementary school Rosemont is good there. Lovely historic neighborhood about 10 min from downtown Dallas and 25-30 to Lancaster. Great restaurants in Bishop Arts District. Great community spirit (home tours, July 4th parade), diverse (gays, single professionals, families of all colors) though the driving culture immediately outside the neighborhood is Hispanic. Again, $350k is a good budget but will be smaller historic homes from 1910-1950's, not newer construction if that's what you're seeking.

2. Hollywood Heights/Santa Monica neighborhood in East Dallas (75223). Feeds into exemplary Lakewood Elementary and solid DISD middle and high schools. Affluent area. These two neighborhoods are small & tight-knit, mostly white in the neighborhood with the middle &'high school being majority Hispanic (60%) and about 20% black, 20% white. But public schools are very good which is difficult to find in a commutable distance to Lancaster other than above-mentioned choices. Again, historic homes in your price range vs new constriciin. 20-30 minute commute to Lancaster.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:12 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntz View Post
I appreciate your quick reply. We are moving from NOVA (Northern Virginia). I have never visited Dallas before, but can you tell me how the commute from Richardson to Lancaster is.
Currently, it takes me 60 to 75 minutes one way to commute to/from work (from northern VA to Washington, DC on a 16 miles distance.
Don't go to Richardson unless your job is off hours! The commute will kill you in about a week.

There are a lot of middle class Blacks in DeSoto, Cedar Hill, I think even Lancaster. Cedar Hill is gorgeous with hills, trees, views. Parts of Oak Cliff (Dallas) are very up and coming and you'd have a reverse commute yet be near downtown. There are repo's in those necks of the wood that you can get for a song.

I think you'll be very pleased when you get here. Welcome! Summer stinks but at least it's not as humid as NOVA.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,207 times
Richardson is a nice community, but it isn't close to Lancaster. You might also want to consider Cedar Hill or DeSoto, which are closer and have a decent selection of homes in your price range. You mentioned school districts as a factor (Are your children in Elementary, Middle, or High School?). Are there any unique school programs, such as gifted/talented, special education, AP, IB, etc. that you would like a school to offer?

Congratulations on the new job and as a resident of Lancaster, welcome!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

812 posts, read 2,183,098 times
Quote:

Oh, try realtor.com to get a sense of the houses available in your price range. Compared to DC, I think you're going to be quite happy.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
It is about 30-35 miles from Richardson to Lancaster. The commute from Richardson to downtown Dallas will take about 30-40 minutes in very heavy tradfic and then an additional 20-25 minutes to Lancaster. Going home, add another 10 minitesd 75 is the only route and it is a parking lot most days going south into downtown.

If you do decide to look in Richardson, focus on JJ Pearce attendance zone and maybe Richardson HS. Pearce is the "crown jewel" high school. It's also the least diverse at about 65% white.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Driving for an hour or longer is definitely not something I would like to continue doing. In the meantime, I am mostly concerned about my children’s education ( they are 2 and 5), and the neighborhoods I will be living in. I heard anywhere in South Dallas areas are to be avoided because of crime rates. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas