Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

I am a 30 yr old single black female with a 5 yr old son. I'm contemplating accepting a job offer from a company who's offices are located at Galleria Towers, adjacent to Galleria Dallas.

I need a 2br apt for me and my son and would like to stay around $1k for rent but would go up to $1200.

I need to find a nice, safe area for me and my son to live and not have a terrible commute. Schools are also important. He currently goes to private school since SC schools are so terrible, so I would consider private schools there is nice safe area is mutually exclusive of good schools.

I have researched Greenhill and was initially looking at apartments near Galleria for commute purposes but they all seem to be pricier than I would like.

Any suggestions are welcome. Not sure what my options are. Cultural diversity would be nice, esp where schools are concerned. Lack of cultural diversity is not as much of an issue for me than for my son, but I still don't want to be in an area where we wouldn't be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 02:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
I would look at the AMLI apartments on Frankford & Coit. It is in Far North Dallas, about a 10-12 minute drive north of the Galleria. It is zoned to Plano ISD which is very good. It's also in your price range.

You could also look into apartments in Richardson in the JJ Pearce HS or Richardson HS feeders. Again, very good quality public schools and affordable housing within 10-15 minutes of the Galleria.

Both Plano ISD and Richardson ISD are very diverse economically as well as culturally. Both have residents who hail from around the world.

Greenhill is a very expensive top tier private school. I would not make any housing plans based on assuming your son will get in as the neighborhoods around Greenhill are not zoned for very good public schools. If you are looking at private schools, I would include St Marks (boys, VERY competitive, about 5-7 minutes south of Galleria), Parish Episcopal (co-ed, competitive, about 5-7 minutes east of Galleria), St Rita (co-Ed Catholic, caddy-corner from Galleria @ SW corner of 635 & Tollroad, competitive), & Lamplighter (co-ed, very competitive, about 3 minutes SW of Galleria, just south of St Rita). All will run about $20-25k per year with exception of St Rita which is closer to $12k.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,832 times
I work in that area and made the mistake of renting at The Reserve on Montfort. Their prices are reasonable and they have attached garage but you will encounter hidden fees, poor management and rundown units, dog feces everywhere and other things. I would avoid that complex if I were you.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:59 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,247 times
If you can swing a bigger rent (assuming the money you'd be spending for private school goes to rent) there are some rentals in University Park and you'd be in Highland Park school district. Also, you'd be not too far from the toll road to the Galleria.

There are some sketchy condos off Abbott, but some are actually pretty decent size and well-kept. There also may be appropriate housing near SMU in some of the blocks zoned for multi-family housing.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,060,308 times
All,
1. What are the apartments at Forest and Inwood called? That's about 3/5 minutes from The Galleria in all but Christmas time traffic and there are at least two workaround routes.

2. What do the apartments behind the sushi joint on the southbound Parkway cost? That's 2/3 minutes from the Galleria if one knows how to get around.

3. Greenhill, Parish, St. Rita, Lamplighter and even St. Monica are each close to the Galleria.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
All,
1. What are the apartments at Forest and Inwood called? That's about 3/5 minutes from The Galleria in all but Christmas time traffic and there are at least two workaround routes.

2. What do the apartments behind the sushi joint on the southbound Parkway cost? That's 2/3 minutes from the Galleria if one knows how to get around.

3. Greenhill, Parish, St. Rita, Lamplighter and even St. Monica are each close to the Galleria.
Problem is, those schools would add almost $2k a month in expenses, assuming acceptance.

Are there quality rentals in Plano?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Problem is, those schools would add almost $2k a month in expenses, assuming acceptance.

Are there quality rentals in Plano?
Kids are accepted to the privates regardless of ability to pay.

I encourage the OP to apply to the privates now for entry next fall then see if you get tuition assistance.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Kids are accepted to the privates regardless of ability to pay.

I encourage the OP to apply to the privates now for entry next fall then see if you get tuition assistance.

That's the plan...and if tuition assistance isn't available, I've put myself in a school district as back up.

I've spoken with some of the potential coworkers with kids and they are all saying Plano ISD is good and most of them stay north of the Galleria.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas