U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 AM

1,171 posts, read 794,542 times

Advertisements

I am newbie here. Looking for suggestion and information for my house search. This is going to be my 1st house purchase. I am always thinking of having my own place. I missed ( hesitation / scared to commit large sums) lot of opportunities to own a house in my native place.

We relocated to Dallas 3 years back. We have KG student and new born child. As of now ,we do not have any plans to go back. My office/ present place is near Valley Ranch area. Still not sure about size. But I am feeling more comfortable if it is around 250 - 275k house as of now. Any suggestions on what to look for purchasing new house.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: title updated per OP 10/12/12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM

525 posts, read 766,181 times
Dallas 250 to 275 you can have beautiful house. Must be nice...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:08 PM

9,808 posts, read 20,436,829 times
Where will your work be? DFW is a HUGE metro area and you will want to live fairly close to your work.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Thanks to heetseeker and ChristieP for the information. My office is near 635 and Luna rd Junction. My wife used to work as a HR professional in small company in Las Colinas downtown. She will be looking for new job after some time. I am also thinking of job change in a year or so. Presently, we are staying near valley ranch in a rented apt.

I visited Emerald park (heritage homes) near Frys and 635 in valley ranch. They are running lottery system even to give price estimate. I am still waiting to hear from them. I contacted one broker. He indicated that, going price is $330k for 2500 sq.ft in this area. It seems to be expensive for me.

I checked out a layout between Royal lane, Riverside drive, Colwell blvd and 161. Construction is yet to start. Price is suppose to be around 310k for 3k sq ft home. I am not sure about the school district for this location. I am also looking for house in good school district.

Any idea on La vitta and Tom Landry elementary schools and corresponding middle/high schools. My kid actually went to Tom landry school for Pre-k. We are really impressed with his teaching staff. But when I try to compare with other schools ( Las colinas elementary, Valley ranch elementary), they are not that great on the scores. Based on whatever little time I spent comparing schools in this area, these scores seem to be related to the school attendance population. We ended up moving to Las Colinas elementary school area during summer.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 PM

4,136 posts, read 13,449,978 times
The best schoold district close to Valley Ranch is Coppell school district. You can get a pretty nice home in your price range.

Your first step would be to get pre-approved for a loan. This way you have a better picture of what your payments will be and just in case there are any issues with credit etc. you can resolve them before you get emotionally attached to a particular home. I'll be happy to send you recommendations for reputable local lenders.

Naima

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The best schoold district close to Valley Ranch is Coppell school district. You can get a pretty nice home in your price range.

Your first step would be to get pre-approved for a loan. This way you have a better picture of what your payments will be and just in case there are any issues with credit etc. you can resolve them before you get emotionally attached to a particular home. I'll be happy to send you recommendations for reputable local lenders.

Naima
I received a pre approved letter from a lender recommended by Meritage Homes (Emerald Park Phase 2 and/or Riverside Village).

Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Any feedback on new houses coming up in ( Emerald park by meritage homes, CISD) Valley ranch (near frys). They asked me $344k for 2722 sq.ft house, $361k for 3136 sq.ft house and $379k for 3289sq.ft house.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM

9,808 posts, read 20,436,829 times
Emerald Park is an awful location. It's sandwiched between big-box retail and a large, busy highway. If the Cypress Waters development ever gets built, it will be an even bigger mess over there.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM

443 posts, read 992,048 times
Its close to crowded 635. Imagine how much auto pollution you are inhaling? Can you go for a jog in the morning without worrying about the nearby pollution or retail crowd? I have a friend who lives a little further on the different Emerald Park Sub Division and they were surprised to see black dust settled on their windows.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM

3,330 posts, read 5,121,555 times
With young kids, your work location, and your budget, Coppell seems like a no-brainer. You will not get a brand new home. You will get a very nice home with excellent resale value in an awesome community with top-notch schools. And your commute will be minutes.

Take a look at these:

829 Cheshire Dr Coppell TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11647406 - Realtor.com®

This one is newer:

548 Hawken Dr Coppell TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11616696 - Realtor.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or