Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 PM

136 posts, read 726,270 times

Advertisements

I was visiting San Francisco and I was absolutely blown away by the contrast between it and Dallas in terms of the amount of people just walking around on the street. I would estimate that downtown/uptown Dallas has maybe 2-3% of the street traffic of SF. I understand that SF is denser, has more tourists and a better climate, but even when accounted for those things it’s still surprising.

I remember walking a loop through Victory Park, downtown, and uptown on a weekend, and it had a desolate, almost deserted feel to it. The irony is that I think Dallas actually has a better looking, more modern skyline than SF which seems to be made largely of either really old buildings or drab 1970s skyscrapers. I know Dallas has built a lot of housing in the downtown/uptown area, but that doesn’t seem to have translated into much street traffic.

I also remember being in Denver, and seeing a huge throng of people go across a crosswalk as I was parking my car. I assumed it must have been a sporting event letting out, but as I walked closer, it turns out that is just the normal street traffic on any given day on their 16th Street Mall.

Last edited by mikejj2004; 10-22-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
http://i8.tinypic.com/4qqf9yp.gif

Long story short, both cities were just built differently after WWII... that's all.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-22-2011 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted picture - post link instead

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Well, if downtown Dallas had an ocean running along one side of it, instead of say I-30, I'm thinking it would be a lot more popular.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:49 PM

99 posts, read 281,453 times
I think it's all about density vs sprawl. The metros have about the same population, but D/FW is more spread out than the Bay Area. Tourism in downtown SF also plays a role...

Old 10-22-2011, 04:00 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Cities with lots of pedestrians have lots of tourists! Dallas doesn't draw the tourism numbers that other cities do.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:28 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Cities with lots of pedestrians have lots of tourists! Dallas doesn't draw the tourism numbers that other cities do.
Exactly. Dallas is a place to work & live. We have virtually no tourist destinations/ experiences to offer->
*no natural beauty like the hills of San Fran or the Pacific Ocean & bay, no Lake Michigan, no Central Park, no Hollywood Hills or gorgeous drives to the ocean like LA, etc. No one's making a special trip to Dallas to run on the Katy Trail or see the Arboretum.

*no unique central neighborhoods built in America's "melting pot" immigration era, a la NYC's Chinatown and Little Italy or San Fran's Chinatown or Boston's Irish culture or Chicago's Italian culture, etc. We don't even have the German immigrant history the Texas Hill Country has.

*no renowned cultural institutions- Van Gogh's Starry Night lives in NYC's MoMA. Monet's Water Lillies live in Chicago's Art Institute. The Smithsonian is in DC. Sure, we have some lovely museums & galleries, but none of the "blockbusters" live in Big D.

*No unique "attractions" - Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Fisherman's Warf & all of SF's other piers, Golden Gate Bridge, Sears Tower, Wrigley Field, Indepence Hall, The Mall & all it's historical monuments, The White House, Boston Commons, The Alamo, The Riverwalk, La Brea Tarpits, Mann's Chinese Theatre, Rodeo Drive, Sunset Blvd, Broadway, Beverly Hills, South Beach. Nothing in Dallas comes close to these things. Houston, Phoenix, & Atlanta- also newer Sunbelt cities- are in the same boat we are.

It's not a bad thing; it just is what it is. We're a newer, sprawled out city, lacking cultural & historical interest (outside JFK & "Dallas"). We are a great place to live, not vacation.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
TC80 said it perfectly. Nothing left to say.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 PM

425 posts, read 995,276 times
I relocated to the metroplex (I live on the Ft. Worth side because that's where my job is) in 2009 from Chicago. Before moving here, my company sent me down here to decide if I would accept the relocation. When I first visited Dallas (and Fort Worth), I called my husband, who was still back home, and the first thing I said was "It's not Chicago." I was very disappointed with the downtown area of both Ft Worth & Dallas.

It wasn't until I looked into the area where my office is located, and the surrounding areas (and a visit to Southlake Town Center), that I felt like I could make the move down here. The suburbs are very similar to Chicago suburbs, but downtown Dallas will never compare to Chicago, because it just doesn't have the same feel.

As TurtleCreek said, Dallas is a great place to live or work, but it doesn't have those attractions that draw in the tourists etc, and make it a more bustling place to visit. Not all cities can be Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Sydney or Melbourne... it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM

695 posts, read 1,447,116 times
I am also from Chicago. Dallas is a better place to live on the whole. There is lots to do here, especially if you have a family. It's just not a world-class city the way some older, more established cities are.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 PM

275 posts, read 416,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I was visiting San Francisco and I was absolutely blown away by the contrast between it and Dallas in terms of the amount of people just walking around on the street. I would estimate that downtown/uptown Dallas has maybe 2-3% of the street traffic of SF. I understand that SF is denser, has more tourists and a better climate, but even when accounted for those things it’s still surprising.

I remember walking a loop through Victory Park, downtown, and uptown on a weekend, and it had a desolate, almost deserted feel to it. The irony is that I think Dallas actually has a better looking, more modern skyline than SF which seems to be made largely of either really old buildings or drab 1970s skyscrapers. I know Dallas has built a lot of housing in the downtown/uptown area, but that doesn’t seem to have translated into much street traffic.

I also remember being in Denver, and seeing a huge throng of people go across a crosswalk as I was parking my car. I assumed it must have been a sporting event letting out, but as I walked closer, it turns out that is just the normal street traffic on any given day on their 16th Street Mall.
Well, first of all, Dallas is NOT San Francisco. I'm not sure why you would expect it to be like San Francisco or Denver for that matter. The Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex is larger than some states. We have a number of walkable and entertaining areas that are not "desolate, almost deserted."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas