U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,274 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I've been considering moving to Dallas from Hawaii as of late. For the last year and a half I've been working part time as an admin assistant at a law firm. I'm really struggling to find a full-time entry level job here. I have a degree in MIS but no relevant experience to go with it. I'm hoping I might fare better in Dallas. Opinions?

(25, male, single, no kids).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:25 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,311,246 times
Texas it is! Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2011 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: Political opinions belong in the P&OC Forum, not in the Dallas Relocation Forum.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,084,566 times
While the cost of living isn't as cheap here as some would have you to believe, it is cheaper than living in Hawaii. And if you have an MIS degree, you can probably find work here -- at least as a temp, then full time.

How well do you think you would adapt to living in Texas? Moderator cut: see commentThings are not exactly liberal here. Hawaii seems very relaxed about things Texans are still uptight about - like gay marriage, Obama, etc.

It's something to think about ....

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-27-2011 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post referred to has been removed.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,471,953 times
I normally wouldnt suggest anyone move here without a job in hand, but for you this might actually be doable PROVIDED you do certain things;

1) Start now saving up cash if you havent already. Ideally at least 6 months worth of expenses. Don't let the news fool you, Texas might not be as bad off as Detroit or California, but it sure ain't raining cash from the sky either. With a LOT of hustle, hard work, perseverance and no small dose of luck, you could get a job quickly and be on your feet in no time, but there ARE people who have been unemployed here for over 6 months and counting, so be prepared for both scenarios.

2) Finding a place to live. The fact that you have no kids removes the limits that a family with kids would have. Generally speaking, most of the 'nice' apartment complexes require pay stubs/proof of income (and income has to be 2 or 3 times the monthly rent too in some cases) so that would preclude you. Perhaps searching on Craig's List for a room to rent in a house/apartment might be a better way to go for you.

3) Someone mentioned the politics here...yeah Texas is a red state (VERY RED) but as long as you keep yourself focused on your business and dont seek to broadcast/argue with everyone in sight you will be just fine.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 AM

326 posts, read 654,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I normally wouldnt suggest anyone move here without a job in hand, but for you this might actually be doable PROVIDED you do certain things;

1) Start now saving up cash if you havent already. Ideally at least 6 months worth of expenses. Don't let the news fool you, Texas might not be as bad off as Detroit or California, but it sure ain't raining cash from the sky either. With a LOT of hustle, hard work, perseverance and no small dose of luck, you could get a job quickly and be on your feet in no time, but there ARE people who have been unemployed here for over 6 months and counting, so be prepared for both scenarios.

2) Finding a place to live. The fact that you have no kids removes the limits that a family with kids would have. Generally speaking, most of the 'nice' apartment complexes require pay stubs/proof of income (and income has to be 2 or 3 times the monthly rent too in some cases) so that would preclude you. Perhaps searching on Craig's List for a room to rent in a house/apartment might be a better way to go for you.

For number 2 above, are you going to have your own transportation, or be utilizing public transportation? Take that into account when looking for a place to live, and probably also focusing on something that's located within easy access (via your own or public transport) of downtown and Plano, as your chances of finding entry level IS work are probably highest in that Dallas/Richardson/Plano corridor.

The other places to look that are often overlooked are the big hospitals. Their IT staff tend to have a lot of turnover at the lower levels, because the workload tends to be pretty brutal, so there are some entry level opportunities from time to time...

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post

For number 2 above, are you going to have your own transportation, or be utilizing public transportation? Take that into account when looking for a place to live, and probably also focusing on something that's located within easy access (via your own or public transport) of downtown and Plano, as your chances of finding entry level IS work are probably highest in that Dallas/Richardson/Plano corridor.

The other places to look that are often overlooked are the big hospitals. Their IT staff tend to have a lot of turnover at the lower levels, because the workload tends to be pretty brutal, so there are some entry level opportunities from time to time...

Totally forgot about that one! I dont know how it is in Hawaii, but in DFW, you will in all likelihood need to have a car, unless you limit yourself to job hunting within the city of Dallas where you have the best access to public transportation. But that would force you to leave out several other job centers like Plano Legacy, Las Colinas and others I'm leaving out. Of course, having a car is an additional expense which you will have to factor into your savings calculations. Good catch Mike.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,274 times
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Fortunately I've been living with family during my time here in Hawaii and have been able to save a fairly substantial amount of money (roughly 15k). Obviously I'd like to tap into that as little as possible, but its there if I need it.

As far as politics go, despite being 25, I'm far more conservative than liberal, so I have no problem with that. Politics are definitely a topic I shy away from either way though.

The lack of public transport is a bit of a concern. I'll have to look into that more.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:31 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,856,431 times
You'll have no problem. You can live here for next to nothing. You probably won't find a 100k job in a week, but you can get by for sure. Only thing is I'm not sure you'll be too wowed by how fabulous Dallas is and believe it or not, you may find it way too hot in the summer. But you will find opportunities, nice people, and an airport with regular travel deals so you can have the opportunity to visit many of the other great cities at your leisure. I say go for it!!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM

30 posts, read 44,491 times
Its been 3 months for me and I'm still looking... My experience here, HR people got the ball in their court. Ive been told Im under experienced and yes, even over-experienced (they think Im gonna quit when I find something better....cause jobs are SOOO abundant these days)

Old 11-03-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizkoteck View Post
Its been 3 months for me and I'm still looking... My experience here, HR people got the ball in their court. Ive been told Im under experienced and yes, even over-experienced (they think Im gonna quit when I find something better....cause jobs are SOOO abundant these days)

To be fair, this is happening everywhere...it's a tough time to be looking for jobs that's for sure...even here in Texas the unemployment rate is still over 8%, so it's not going to be easy finding something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or