U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM

6,529 posts, read 10,250,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Look at your map again. Heath is due south of Rockwall.
You're right. I was getting Heath and Fate confused!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Both Zillow and Realtor.com get their information from MLS, not just public records. I've found that they are pretty comparable with respect to listings. Non-disclosure in Texas is related to closing information and sales prices. MLS has the sold price information for the homes listed through the MLS, but no one should rely on Realtor or Zillow for that information since it's a little sketchy. Only an MLS subscriber will be able to get reliable sales price information. And true, not all sales go through MLS. This is especially troublesome when it comes to commercial real estate since sales price data is extremely hard to come by.
Zillow is VERY inaccurate. We discussed this a while back on this forum. For example, it has MY OWN house listed as MUCH bigger than it actually is, and with an additional bedroom!! I don't know where it gets its information, but it is not accurate.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

8,050 posts, read 10,526,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Zillow is VERY inaccurate. We discussed this a while back on this forum. For example, it has MY OWN house listed as MUCH bigger than it actually is, and with an additional bedroom!! I don't know where it gets its information, but it is not accurate.
This is the truth. Buyers have the right to "z" out their sales price paid on homes in MLS - no info is entered so the sales price is not known. Very common in higher end real estate markets in DFW to make this choice.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM

63 posts, read 44,886 times
What about Trulia? I have only briefly looked at realtor.com and have checked out some individual realtor websites. Honestly we have to decide location first. I appreciate the info about Zillow.

I really appreciate your time and information. I've never moved with kids in school. It makes me very nervous and given their ages I sure hope this is the only time we do it. Location is everything. If I mentioned that my kids are fine arts driven with theatre and music would that change anything with regard to schools? I'm assuming that large districts offer that as they do here. I know Texas is having budget trouble with education like everyone else.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace316 View Post
What about Trulia? I have only briefly looked at realtor.com and have checked out some individual realtor websites. Honestly we have to decide location first. I appreciate the info about Zillow.

I really appreciate your time and information. I've never moved with kids in school. It makes me very nervous and given their ages I sure hope this is the only time we do it. Location is everything. If I mentioned that my kids are fine arts driven with theatre and music would that change anything with regard to schools? I'm assuming that large districts offer that as they do here. I know Texas is having budget trouble with education like everyone else.
Will PM you a good MLS site to search in DFW area. More user friendly than Realtor.com!!

How old are your kids? If elementary, then they will probably only have music class (if it still exists....it doesn't in many schools here, sadly!) 1 day per week. If in middle school or older, they *should* still have music & theatre "elective" courses to select that they will attend daily.

As with anything else, if you don't like what you see in public schools, ther are always private music or voice lessons and tons of children's theatre-type productions (ranging from church sponsored to semi-professional) to get involved with outside school.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 PM

6,586 posts, read 16,008,940 times
Dallas ISD has a Performing and Visual Arts magnet high school located in downtown Dallas. You have to audition to get in during your 8th grade year. It is highly regarded.

Booker T. Washington High School / Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Ar

Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 PM

One child is in 5th grade now, the other 8th.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Regarding Sunnyvale: Is the apartment complex built? (for section 8) I see it was to be done by July. Was it 70 units? Anyone know if the owner will be having accountability of the residents? What is the word about this issue? Further plans the city has? Further requirements from the ICP for providing services or will the churches be allowed to handle it?
are they appealing or is this over?

Old 11-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace316 View Post
Regarding Sunnyvale: Is the apartment complex built? (for section 8) I see it was to be done by July. Was it 70 units? Anyone know if the owner will be having accountability of the residents? What is the word about this issue? Further plans the city has? Further requirements from the ICP for providing services or will the churches be allowed to handle it?
are they appealing or is this over?
I don't know the specifics about Sunnyvale, but will just say that Section 8 housing in/near your neighborhood is virtually impossible to avoid in DFW. The liberals eventually get their way and the Sect 8 rolls in. Plano, Richardson, &Lewisville are examples of school districts that have continued to perform well after Sect 8 arrived. The only places you'll avoid it are the really high-dollar school districts like Highland Park ISD where the towns have successfully fought & won their lawsuits.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 4,952,318 times
Were there any such lawsuits against the cities of Highland Park and/or University Park? If it's Highland Park, were the involved complexes in HPISD? (Some parts of HP are in DISD)

I had the impression that many "small cities" avoid lawsuits since there's simply not enough room to construct Section 8 within the municipality limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't know the specifics about Sunnyvale, but will just say that Section 8 housing in/near your neighborhood is virtually impossible to avoid in DFW. The liberals eventually get their way and the Sect 8 rolls in. Plano, Richardson, &Lewisville are examples of school districts that have continued to perform well after Sect 8 arrived. The only places you'll avoid it are the really high-dollar school districts like Highland Park ISD where the towns have successfully fought & won their lawsuits.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:48 PM

I appreciate the info Turtle. I read another comment of yours from a different thread itemizing the best schools and I wrote it down. (I'm going to have to look at Coppell) I think Sunnyvale sounds intriguing if my husband is interested in the Mesquite job. I don't think they have debate though I'm trying to find out. My kids are strong in this and it is one of their extra curricular activities.
We will likely hope to have several options then we are going to have to fly down and check things out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas