U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2007, 04:38 PM
 
122 posts, read 316,074 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
If you thought Dallas had these before you moved here - shame on you. And technically, many of the grasses turn YELLOW (dormant), not brown (dead) during the peak heat in summer. It's called heat induced dormancy. Incidentally, we didn't have that at all this summer.
I did not think Dallas had those qualities when I moved here; however, I did not realize how BAD the heat really is during the summer and how refreshing a more temperate climate was. I don't care about technicalities as to whether the grass turns brown or yellow, basically the fact is it is ugly. This past summer was an anomaly, the previous 10 summers were all hot with the vegetation becoming "heat dormant".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Uh, get out of the burbs and you have plenty of both of these. I've already named quite a few in previous posts. Have you gotten out to any of them?
Did you read any of my posts? I was specifically talking about the burbs. Thanks for validating my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
It's like you WANT to contradict yourself. You want mature transit like Boston, DC and NY, but you DON'T want their traffic congestion (each of those cities have far worse congestion than Dallas). Cities build public transit to help reduce congestion. Congestion does have to come first. In my opinion, Dallas is quite ahead of the curve and quickly moving forward.
Dallas already has congestion so it is not ahead of the curb. My point is that people do not have the option of decent public transit here. At least in the cities you mention you have the option to use public transit. Here in Dallas your only option is to deal with the congestion since public transit is subpar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
While Dallas isn't nearly as progressive on this as California, TX does have the most wind power generation in the country - even beating out California. This is a good start. We have pretty good solar potential as well which will be tapped more and more as power prices go up and solar panel pricing comes down.
You make a lot of good points above. However, Dallas, and Texas in general has a LONG way go before they can be truly considered progressive. I'll give them credit that Dallas is at least trying to address the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
Who cares if others are healthy. What do you do for your health? Are you over weight? I'm not - and there are plenty of people that aren't. I enjoy cycling. There is no shortage of other folks that enjoy cycling - as is evident on Saturday morning rides - groups of 20-30 people almost every Saturday all over the metro.
[/quote]

I care. The general health habits of a city says a lot about its population and what their lifestyle/values are. Besides the groups of 20-30 people who do bike each Saturday, the vast majority do not lead healthy lifestyles. This is a fact and is documented in numerous studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2007, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 5,572,550 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
I did not think Dallas had those qualities when I moved here; however, I did not realize how BAD the heat really is during the summer and how refreshing a more temperate climate was. I don't care about technicalities as to whether the grass turns brown or yellow, basically the fact is it is ugly. This past summer was an anomaly, the previous 10 summers were all hot with the vegetation becoming "heat dormant".
Hey, I'm an engineer, I get technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Did you read any of my posts? I was specifically talking about the burbs. Thanks for validating my comment.
Yes, I know you were talking about the burbs, I just hate having Dallas getting dissed because some white bread suburb sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
Dallas already has congestion so it is not ahead of the curb. My point is that people do not have the option of decent public transit here. At least in the cities you mention you have the option to use public transit. Here in Dallas your only option is to deal with the congestion since public transit is subpar.
Dallas has SOME congestion. It's much less than the areas with mature public transportation. My point is that public transportation generally gets built AFTER congestion hits a pain threshold. Dallas congestion started much later than congestion in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc, therefore it's public transportation started much later. If you look at how far Dallas has come in it's 11-year old DART rail system, it's come a LONG way very quickly. It isn't a mature system yet. That's a given, but there is a commitment for it to grow. 55K+ people one each weekday use the rail system. I'm sure they would disagree atleast partially with your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
You make a lot of good points above. However, Dallas, and Texas in general has a LONG way go before they can be truly considered progressive. I'll give them credit that Dallas is at least trying to address the issue.
Yes, Texas is definitely trying. I agree it's not progressive yet, but it's definitely far from the perception of being in last place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokctx View Post
I care. The general health habits of a city says a lot about its population and what their lifestyle/values are. Besides the groups of 20-30 people who do bike each Saturday, the vast majority do not lead healthy lifestyles. This is a fact and is documented in numerous studies.
Again, I don't give a crap about someone else's health. I care about mine (well, and my wife). General health habits do say a lot about it's population... but I'm me, not the general population. If I'm healthy, I'm happy. I don't worry about what other people do to their health; I don't worry about what other people think about mine. Some people think that riding a hundred miles on your bike before lunch is insane. I think it's invigorating. Who cares what other people do/say? It doesn't affect me.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
 
15,969 posts, read 25,420,254 times
Reputation: 5900
gokctx - what do you consider progressive? The only black DA in Texas, a lesbian County Sheriff, a gay County Judge, a Hispanic school superintendent, all the Republicans being swept out of office, what>..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Lake Highlands (Dallas)
2,395 posts, read 5,572,550 times
Reputation: 986
I assumed he meant progressive on environmental issues/alternative energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top