Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times

Advertisements

Visiting some family friends in Frisco next month & I've been researching the route to get there. Sounds like the Dallas North Tollway would be the smart bet, but I read that they've gotten rid of manned booths and gone to electronic collections? We don't have tolls in San Antonio & I don't have the TxTag, so how am I supposed to pay for the DNT?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 AM

621 posts, read 1,332,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Visiting some family friends in Frisco next month & I've been researching the route to get there. Sounds like the Dallas North Tollway would be the smart bet, but I read that they've gotten rid of manned booths and gone to electronic collections? We don't have tolls in San Antonio & I don't have the TxTag, so how am I supposed to pay for the DNT?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!
They send you a bill. They use your license plate info to get your address and will bill you in a few weeks.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:15 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Hmmmm. That's very interesting. So they send us a bill & how do we pay it? Via an online site or some other means?

Wonder how they ensure that we're properly billed. There's a few rants in the Austin thread about being grossly overbilled for using the toll roads there. Oh, well, it's a risk we have to take, I imagine.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Hmmmm. That's very interesting. So they send us a bill & how do we pay it? Via an online site or some other means?

Wonder how they ensure that we're properly billed. There's a few rants in the Austin thread about being grossly overbilled for using the toll roads there. Oh, well, it's a risk we have to take, I imagine.
I think you can pay online or mail in your payment.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:44 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,816,513 times
If you are renting a car get the toll tag otherwise they completely hose you on the bill with all sorts of fees. If it's your own car I suppose thats a different story.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:18 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
If you are renting a car get the toll tag otherwise they completely hose you on the bill with all sorts of fees.
Oh Lord no Kidding, and as many things as we can blame NTTA for this one is all the state's fault. They won't require the rental companies to just forward bills, or to give NTTA the address to mail bills too, and they won't regulate the fee. One car rental place used to charge an $80 per TOLL "Service Charge,: and that company HAD tolltags assigned to each car. That was fun when I worked there, and that customer got upset enough to end up escalated all the way to my phone. We would have to explain that we had no control over it, and they were being billed by the rental car company not us, and that it was agreed to in their rental agreement - I even memorized the language in that companies contract.

If you are renting Enterprise simply temporarily updates the system to reflect the renter;s info and you get mailed a bill for the tolls. We used to BEG the other companies to move to that system.

God I'm glad not to work there anymore.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,462,167 times
i rent cars often for work and probably 99% of the rental companies all have the electronic toll pass things on their cars. And Im talking all cities across the country. Dont worry about it.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
i rent cars often for work and probably 99% of the rental companies all have the electronic toll pass things on their cars. And Im talking all cities across the country. Dont worry about it.
In many place that is true, even here, but some do not, and many that do still charge you significant "admin fee" per toll. A few years ago National charged $25 per person, and at one point one company charged $80. I know I worked at the NTTA, and got the angry escalated calls who wouldn't believe those charges came form the rental company (even when the bill came from them not us.) Most states have some kind of limit on the fees the rental companies can charge for tolls, but Texas does not.

Check, check, check with the rental company, or you could end up owing hundreds to them.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Most fleets now use renta toll. NTTA also has fleet agreements with some firms directly.

Rent A Toll

When you rent a car at DFW, ask for the daily toll option. A small amount allows you unlimited daily tolls.

If you are driving your own car, then you can do one of two things.

1. Drive it around and they will mail you a bill.
2. Go to ntta's website and get a tolltag for your car. This tag will work everywhere in TX and it will cost you less.

Personally, if its my car, I will do 2.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM

718 posts, read 1,388,838 times
Do they really send bills out of state? My inlaws are still waiting for at least 4 bills in the last year and have received nothing so far for using 121.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas