U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
 
7 posts, read 7,649 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, Me and my husband are thinking of relocating due to better jobs and more oppurtunity for our kids. we currently live in a small town but with high housing prices I am an LPN and my husband has a CDL and work with construction we make a decent living but we want more our town has nothing to do.Our childrens current ages are 5,4, and twins that are 1. We live in Arkansas only 4 hours away from Dallas and we usually go twice a year but I was wondering whats the best areas to live and raise kids? We own a home now but are gonna be renting it out until we can sell it. So in Dallas were gonna rent until we get settled and then buy I wouldn't want to spend more than 800 on rent because we still have to pay daycare and its pretty expensive but we want a safe neighborhood thats number one for us. Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago
469 posts, read 423,637 times
Reputation: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by yallie1 View Post
Hey Everyone, Me and my husband are thinking of relocating due to better jobs and more oppurtunity for our kids. we currently live in a small town but with high housing prices I am an LPN and my husband has a CDL and work with construction we make a decent living but we want more our town has nothing to do.Our childrens current ages are 5,4, and twins that are 1. We live in Arkansas only 4 hours away from Dallas and we usually go twice a year but I was wondering whats the best areas to live and raise kids? We own a home now but are gonna be renting it out until we can sell it. So in Dallas were gonna rent until we get settled and then buy I wouldn't want to spend more than 800 on rent because we still have to pay daycare and its pretty expensive but we want a safe neighborhood thats number one for us. Any ideas?
You aren't going to find a very safe place with that budget unless all your kids share a room.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,145 posts, read 3,895,944 times
Reputation: 2467
Allen, McKinney, Frisco, Lewisville, heck in Plano-it's the safest city in America w/ a population over 250,000 according to Forbes.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 1,125,558 times
Reputation: 588
.


Because of traffic, you might consider living near where you work.

The safer, growing suburbs are north of the city of Dallas.

.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:32 PM
 
8,232 posts, read 11,132,901 times
Reputation: 5681
Quote:
Originally Posted by yallie1 View Post
We live in Arkansas only 4 hours away from Dallas and we usually go twice a year but I was wondering whats the best areas to live and raise kids?
There are great areas to raise a family all over the metroplex. You will want to find jobs first and then look for a neighborhood or suburb. This will prevent you from falling in love with, say, Rockwall, only to find a job near the Texas Motor Speedway in north Fort Worth (about a 90 minute drive in rush hour!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by yallie1 View Post
We own a home now but are gonna be renting it out until we can sell it. So in Dallas were gonna rent until we get settled and then buy I wouldn't want to spend more than 800 on rent because we still have to pay daycare and its pretty expensive but we want a safe neighborhood thats number one for us. Any ideas?
$800 in rent is COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC for any sort of safe neighborhood / suburb with a decent public elementary school. I can think of a few apartments in the Plano area that are well-kept and safe where you can get a 2-br apartment for about $1,000/mo. For a home, you need about $1200-1300/mo to find a decent 3 or 4 bedroom home in a safe neighborhood.

Daycare is about $800-1,100/mo per child in the DFW area, FYI. This is for a licensed daycare center. If you can find someone to keep your kids, maybe $600/mo, but then you're trusting your kids with someone who is unliscenced and possibly here illegally.


Dallas isn't cheap; it's certainly more expensive than Arkansas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:34 PM
 
8,232 posts, read 11,132,901 times
Reputation: 5681
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
.


Because of traffic, you might consider living near where you work.

The safer, growing suburbs are north of the city of Dallas.

.
Rockwall safe? Check. East of Dallas.

Sunnyvale safe? Check. East of Dallas.

Cedar Hill safe? Check. South of Dallas.

Mansfield safe? Check. Southwest of Dallas.

Coppell, Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Keller, Westlake, Lewisville, Flower Mound safe? Check. Check. Check. Check. Check......Northwest of Dallas.

The world does not revolve around Collin County suburbs!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 1,125,558 times
Reputation: 588
.

Wow... I had no idea daycare is so expensive.

No wonder more mothers are becoming stay-at-home moms these days.


.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,770 posts, read 1,125,558 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Rockwall safe? Check. East of Dallas.

Sunnyvale safe? Check. East of Dallas.

Cedar Hill safe? Check. South of Dallas.

Mansfield safe? Check. Southwest of Dallas.

Coppell, Colleyville, Grapevine, Southlake, Keller, Westlake, Lewisville, Flower Mound safe? Check. Check. Check. Check. Check......Northwest of Dallas.

The world does not revolve around Collin County suburbs!!!!!


I like Rockwall and yes it is very safe, expensive and often
means a longer commute.

Rockwall, like others you mentioned, is further from the
newer, growing areas near Dallas which are the northern
suburbs.

Some of the cities you list are suburbs of Ft Worth, not Dallas.



.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Junius Heights
1,245 posts, read 1,979,593 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
.

Wow... I had no idea daycare is so expensive.

No wonder more mothers are becoming stay-at-home moms these days.


.
It is a hugely overpriced business business. There really is little excuse for the expense in Texas. Texas has one of the highest State mandated ratios of children to teachers. Most states only allow 1/2 to 2/3's as many kids per teacher. Texas also has one of the lowest average salaries for Pre-school teachers/ day care workers. Average starting salary is around $8, average overall is under $10. My wife is a pre-school teacher with 10 years experience, working for the largest day-care company in the USA. She has numerous certifications above and beyond what is required or even standard for people in her position. She has designed curriculum for day care centers. She is always given the new people to train, and her room is the one used as an example of how a classroom should be run NATIONWIDE, by the company. She is the highest paid teacher at her center, and one of the highest paid by the company in the metroplex. She makes $10 an hour. She knows she could do better in almost any other field, but she loves her work. There are centers that pay more, but the trade off is most of those don't offer insurance. The can charge what they want because if you need daycare.... you need it. You generally don't have a lot of options, and so much daycare is subsidized by the state (CCMS), or corporations, that a lot of it is priced based upon that

The profit margin on these places in UNBELIEVABLE!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: McKinney
4,186 posts, read 3,490,089 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The world does not revolve around Collin County suburbs!!!!!
Hmm... Not saying you're wrong, but... are you sure?

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top