U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 PM

4,632 posts, read 3,705,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
East Plano can be a bit rough. Plano is a huge suburb covering a very large land area. To give you an idea of Plano's size, these shootings happened about 10 miles from Willow Bend Mall in the heart of West Plano. Think of Plano like a medium sized city not a closed-off suburb. There are good neighborhoods with little crime and rougher neighborhoods with higher crime. I work in Plano and have never even been in or near the neighborhood from that article.

Plano probably covers around 150 square miles. It's large and varied.

One thing jumped out in your post - that you "doubted" drugs in Plano. You may need a BIG reality check as drugs can be found in pretty much every high school and neighborhood in America. Drugs aren't a "big city" problem or a "low income" problem or a "hood" problem; they're a "people problem"'and can cut through any race, income, neighborhood, etc. If you wanted drugs, you could find them in Plano, Highland Park, Lewisville, Rockwall, etc. You could walk into any high school in the metroplex and get your drug of choice by the end of the day. ***I'm not talking about rampant drug problems or having neighbors who looked like coked-up zombies, but your post made it sound like you thought there's no way drugs could be in a nice suburb. Just not true.
Plano covers about 71.6 sq mi.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 2,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offmove View Post
Sure one cannot assume black == poor.. I have seen really well-educated blacks who are affluent and live in nice neighborhoods.. They are not the problem makers. It is in general, people from low soicoeconomic backgrounds that cause trouble or bring an area down, and most people in those categories happen to be under-educated blacks, hispanics and some whites.. (there still are some very nice people in that segment, even if they are poor).. But in general that is not the case. (Starting with manners, to culture to politeness to crime.. )

So what I am hearing is EAST PLANO = NO.
West Plano = OK.

If so where does the border begin. Can you say it is NOT safe to stay east of 75. Then what about people living on the other side of the lake in Rockwall?
Well, You're really going to be just fine on either side. It really doesn't matter. Gas is strangely cheaper on the east side, and I actually lived there from childhood until about 12 when my parents had moved us to central plano(I guess "West Plano", as it was about 2 miles West of Hwy 75 on 15th street <fm 544>). I still to this day have friends whom live in that area, and even clients. I have absolutely no fear or feeling of being unwelcome and really not much different than that of Central (West) Plano. Once you pass over(some cases under) HWY 75, you will notice fairly soon, that the upkeep is a bit nicer, mainly more pavement, better trimming, etc. to an extent. Not to say East is bad because for the cash you may save, you won't have any "Fatal Worries" straining your mind attempting to fall asleep. After Living in Central Plano from a little after 12 until 18, I moved to what is technically Richardson/North Dallas at Coit&George Bush Tollway area (NorthWest area) and was attending college at UTD down the road. I saw and heard so many more strange and sometimes creepy things than ever in all my years and very diverse set of people we all knew. Police were ALWAYS patrolling the parkinglots of my apartment complex in that part of Richardson, and it was not a bad looking place, just not awesome. However, After graduating at 26 (now 29), I live in West Plano, near Parker and Preston Running my own business and it's a more, kind of "up-scale(ish)" Type of area. I would say it's more over a non-generic, out-of-the-box, suburb nice houise area, and very well-maintained greenery. THE BEST WAY TO KNOW WHAT IT'S REALLY LIKE? COME ON DOWN TO PLANO! MOST EVERYONE IS NICE AND QUITE FRIENDLY! It's really not hard to find good friends here whom will have your back when you need them! Moderator cut: no soliciting allowed Plano people just tend to have fun and do things as best we can! As is Texas! LOL, Best Wishes!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-10-2011 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: No soliciting/advertising permitted per TOS

Old 12-10-2011, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Plano covers about 71.6 sq mi.
-NSPhysX

Very true, drugs are a big problem everywhere. Direct correlation, and no big surprise, the more people are in an area (population density), the faster and more widespread drug issues will become. Plano has tamed it pretty well but it can't ever be stopped which I think everyone in the country gets ever since, what, many decades past now. Not saying it's a good thing, but in stead of Plano being known as things like 'Heroin Capitol' and countless other terms I hated thinking that people only knew the town because of drug population. Now, however, there are little spurts here and there which are seemingly squashed quickly which is good. Now it tends to be normal teenager things like drinking, cigarettes and maybe marijuana. All I can say is I am happy to not be hearing about these 10 and 12 year old kids dying from heroin across the state and country. When all is said and done, no matter where you go, someone will be doing something that someone else doesn't like. I would put it out of mind personally, this city really is beautiful and has some awesome people. Not to mention, Plano is like a hub for everything around! We are in the center of it all! Frisco to the north with nice Mall shopping, Strip Malls, Outlets, Restaurants; Meanwhile you have Lower Greenville Ave. for things like unique culture restaurants and Theaters, to clubs and pretty much anything! Then you can hit Downtown Dallas for the nice Urban scene and there's still a lot to do around almost any corner! List goes on and on with places/cities around us that can make any bored night into a new adventure!

Old 12-10-2011, 10:26 AM

61 posts, read 131,719 times
LOL at the original post.

Far east Plano is a nice area. The area where this supposedly happened is not that far from Plano East Senior High. There are affluent neighborhoods in the immediate area with million dollar homes a few streets over on Dublin.

While there is lower priced housing in East Plano (east of 75 to Shiloh), I wouldn't even consider that area unsafe.

Crime can occur anywhere.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,092,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The only parts of Plano that I would say are undesirable are the areas south of Parker and East of 75. Thats only 1/5 of the city.

I live in Plano and I love it here. I live in the very multicultural North side of Plano. Great place to be!
Dang that's a wide swath - and includes Los Rios which is a nice, modest neighborhood plus the area the OP is referring to is actually a very nice community.

But painting with a broad brush is very typical on this forum.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:16 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,092,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPhysX View Post
THE BEST WAY TO KNOW WHAT IT'S REALLY LIKE? COME ON DOWN TO PLANO! MOST EVERYONE IS NICE AND QUITE FRIENDLY! It's really not hard to find good friends here whom will have your back when you need them! Moderator cut: no soliciting allowed Plano people just tend to have fun and do things as best we can! As is Texas! LOL, Best Wishes!

I hope they don't come to Plano. I live in Murphy and have numerous friends in East Plano and I don't want to have to run into and deal with someone who saw one headline about a shooting and decided that all of the other info about Plano being a nice community to live must be wrong. Geez.

At least the Plano PD were trying to be proactive in letting ALL the residents know. This crap happens daily in Dallas and the PD can't be bothered to respond half the time.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:23 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,400,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I hope they don't come to Plano. I live in Murphy and have numerous friends in East Plano and I don't want to have to run into and deal with someone who saw one headline about a shooting and decided that all of the other info about Plano being a nice community to live must be wrong. Geez.

At least the Plano PD were trying to be proactive in letting ALL the residents know. This crap happens daily in Dallas and the PD can't be bothered to respond half the time.
Murphy is a nice area. My sister just retired after teaching in Murphy for many years. I've toured the area and I think it is a very pleasant place.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 3,823,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post

Amen.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:33 PM
hsw

2,066 posts, read 4,257,076 times
Don't know of an affluent suburban area anywhere in US that doesn't have sketchy areas within 5mis or less....

Whether NYC's Greenwich or Phila's Villanova or CherryHill or SV's Atherton/PaloAlto or LA's Brentwood/Pali or Chic's Winnetka

Anyone who lives in major affluent suburban regions applies common sense in where (specifically) they choose to live; where they send their kids to school; where/when they choose to shop, etc etc

And over the yrs can't recall major (or even minor) crime incidents affecting affluent colleagues who reside in these major suburban areas (some of whom drive into higher-crime regions (like UptownDall or CenterCityPhila) for work or dinner)...despite many being rather sloppy about leaving homes unlocked, etc etc...right out of LeaveItToBeaver; despite MSM's absurd depiction of crime in major suburban regions, much of US suburbia is incredibly safe despite a casual lifestyle

Old 12-11-2011, 09:53 PM

4,047 posts, read 3,863,499 times
We had a plane land in someone's home up the road from our nice affluent suburban home...I guess we're no longer safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas