Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 AM

87 posts, read 277,683 times

Advertisements

People claim Plano is one of the safest cities or the most according to some 2010 new report. Maybe Forbes or CNN money (i forgot)

The following recent news suggest otherwise
Police issue warning after homes struck by bullets in east Plano | Plano Blog | dallasnews.com

Of course there will be isolated incidents here and there, but this is not a typical getting mugged while being in the wrong neighborhood. We are not talking about inner city hoods. .drugs etc. We are talking about a pure suburb.

While considering moving to DFW metroplex for the schools and safe suburban living, I came across this. I live in the northeast (Philly suburb), and never heard such an incident in the last 15 years.

The intersection they are talking about is also not an inner city area.. it is proper "suburb" (seems like that to me, at least)

So what is going on? Are too many low income / low socioeconomic people in that area? Someone in another blog comment suggested it is jealousy and hatred by poor mexicans/blacks targeting nice houses where more affluent people live (whites and Asians).. I personally don't think this is racially motivated, but you cannot ignore but wonder may be jealousy can be a factor.. I also doubt drugs in suburbs like Plano.. So what is the reason? Have any of you heard about this?

Is it Safe in Plano? (For me, it would beat the whole purpose of moving there for safe neighborhoods with good schools..) Someone please tell me this is some corner far away close to another city and NOT proper plano/frisco area!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
EAST PLANO has always been a little rough... That is the part east of 75.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:26 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
East Plano can be a bit rough. Plano is a huge suburb covering a very large land area. To give you an idea of Plano's size, these shootings happened about 10 miles from Willow Bend Mall in the heart of West Plano. Think of Plano like a medium sized city not a closed-off suburb. There are good neighborhoods with little crime and rougher neighborhoods with higher crime. I work in Plano and have never even been in or near the neighborhood from that article.

Plano probably covers around 150 square miles. It's large and varied.

One thing jumped out in your post - that you "doubted" drugs in Plano. You may need a BIG reality check as drugs can be found in pretty much every high school and neighborhood in America. Drugs aren't a "big city" problem or a "low income" problem or a "hood" problem; they're a "people problem"'and can cut through any race, income, neighborhood, etc. If you wanted drugs, you could find them in Plano, Highland Park, Lewisville, Rockwall, etc. You could walk into any high school in the metroplex and get your drug of choice by the end of the day. ***I'm not talking about rampant drug problems or having neighbors who looked like coked-up zombies, but your post made it sound like you thought there's no way drugs could be in a nice suburb. Just not true.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:05 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
These are two incidents over the course of a year in a city of close to 300,000 people - hardly a common thing. We ARE in Texas, where everyone loves their guns. This particular incident took place across the street from a greenbelt and pond. So it could have been some bozo teenager deciding to do target practice at the park and accidentally (or "accidentally on purpose") missing a few.

Still reckless, dangerous, and illegal, but not the same as pulling up to an apartment building and letting rip.

FWIW, this particular neighborhood isn't the "hood" of Plano. The houses are on the tax records as being in the mid-200s - far more than the cheap ramblers near DT that constitute the least desirable part of "east Plano".

---

Also, assuming that black == poor doesn't really work in Plano. The city has proven to be attractive to middle-class and upper-class black families for many years now.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
East Plano can be a bit rough. Plano is a huge suburb covering a very large land area. To give you an idea of Plano's size, these shootings happened about 10 miles from Willow Bend Mall in the heart of West Plano. Think of Plano like a medium sized city not a closed-off suburb. There are good neighborhoods with little crime and rougher neighborhoods with higher crime. I work in Plano and have never even been in or near the neighborhood from that article.

Plano probably covers around 150 square miles. It's large and varied.

One thing jumped out in your post - that you "doubted" drugs in Plano. You may need a BIG reality check as drugs can be found in pretty much every high school and neighborhood in America. Drugs aren't a "big city" problem or a "low income" problem or a "hood" problem; they're a "people problem"'and can cut through any race, income, neighborhood, etc. If you wanted drugs, you could find them in Plano, Highland Park, Lewisville, Rockwall, etc. You could walk into any high school in the metroplex and get your drug of choice by the end of the day. ***I'm not talking about rampant drug problems or having neighbors who looked like coked-up zombies, but your post made it sound like you thought there's no way drugs could be in a nice suburb. Just not true.
Nice point about drugs - Agreed.
yes it can be everywhere..! I guess it is a fear/reality that, I (as a parent) don't want to see, but in the back of my mind it is sitting there well-understood.. if you know what i mean.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
These are two incidents over the course of a year in a city of close to 300,000 people - hardly a common thing. We ARE in Texas, where everyone loves their guns. This particular incident took place across the street from a greenbelt and pond. So it could have been some bozo teenager deciding to do target practice at the park and accidentally (or "accidentally on purpose") missing a few.

Still reckless, dangerous, and illegal, but not the same as pulling up to an apartment building and letting rip.

FWIW, this particular neighborhood isn't the "hood" of Plano. The houses are on the tax records as being in the mid-200s - far more than the cheap ramblers near DT that constitute the least desirable part of "east Plano".

---

Also, assuming that black == poor doesn't really work in Plano. The city has proven to be attractive to middle-class and upper-class black families for many years now.
Sure one cannot assume black == poor.. I have seen really well-educated blacks who are affluent and live in nice neighborhoods.. They are not the problem makers. It is in general, people from low soicoeconomic backgrounds that cause trouble or bring an area down, and most people in those categories happen to be under-educated blacks, hispanics and some whites.. (there still are some very nice people in that segment, even if they are poor).. But in general that is not the case. (Starting with manners, to culture to politeness to crime.. )

So what I am hearing is EAST PLANO = NO.
West Plano = OK.

If so where does the border begin. Can you say it is NOT safe to stay east of 75. Then what about people living on the other side of the lake in Rockwall?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offmove View Post
Sure one cannot assume black == poor.. I have seen really well-educated blacks who are affluent and live in nice neighborhoods.. They are not the problem makers. It is in general, people from low soicoeconomic backgrounds that cause trouble or bring an area down, and most people in those categories happen to be under-educated blacks, hispanics and some whites.. (there still are some very nice people in that segment, even if they are poor).. But in general that is not the case. (Starting with manners, to culture to politeness to crime.. )

So what I am hearing is EAST PLANO = NO.
West Plano = OK.

If so where does the border begin. Can you say it is NOT safe to stay east of 75. Then what about people living on the other side of the lake in Rockwall?

East Plano = no, but right next to East Plano is Murphy, same Plano schools, VERY nice, safe, low crime.
Rockwall would depend on your work location. It' nowhere near Plano so if you worked in Plano, Rockwall would be a horrible commute. But it's a nice area also. Growing rapidly.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Safety is a relative term. East Plano is far worse than West Plano... But East Plano is 100 times better than some areas I've seen in other states/cities. East Plano doesn't worry me. Cabrini Green in Chicago is somewhere you would never want to live! (Used to be, they tore most of it down now.)

If you live west of 75, you'll be just fine, it was a running joke growing up that Plano cops didn't have a homicide division, they were all traffic cops.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Plano has a major mix of people in every area.East Plano is considered not as "desirable " as west.I don't think that Plano is aging well.It is certainly going thru changes.These changes are a hot topic on this forum.We passed on west Plano due to the overall small lot sizes and proximity to Dallas.We had no need to be that close to Dallas.I believe that Plano will remain a desirable place for many people with certain wants and needs.It is one of the safest inner ring suburbs compared to others .
Many parts are safe.Plano has one of the lowest property tax rates in the DFW metroplex and many affordable apartments and single family homes.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
I wouldn't say E. Plano=no. That would be ridiculous. There are some parts of Plano that if you have the means should be avoided, but I'm sure that is the same in Philly. That area of Plano is not bad at all. It sounds as if there is some idiot who is out there firing off .22 rounds and not thinking about their background.

if you're worried about Plano, check out the Police's tracking site.
City of Plano - Home (http://www.plano.gov/Departments/Police/Crime%20Watch%20Bulletins/Pages/bulletins.aspx - broken link)

Remember, this is a LARGE city of 300,000 and in that context is one of the safest in the country. But there are some areas that are more "active" than others, but they're not just E. of 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas