U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM

174 posts, read 199,442 times
Default Gehan Homes? Any experience/reviews?

I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on Gehan Homes. There does not seem to have been much talk on this forum about them. I'm not familiar with them at all, but came across some of their neighborhoods (Grady Niblo Estates in Dallas and Mountain Creek Meadows not too far away in Duncanville). The houses look nice from what I've seen, but wondered about their quality, buying experience, etc. Any experience or feedback would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 1,871,494 times
A quick search brings up...

Gehan Homes @ Pissed Consumer

Ripoff Report | Gehan Homes | Complaint Review: 61507

Among others. However, I do not have any firsthand experience with that manufacturer, and I'd never heard of them until now. That may tell you something though, as it looks like they've been around since at least 2003. I was in the market last year, and I didn't come across a single home built by them in my area (Frisco, Plano, McKinney.)

Unread 12-13-2011, 11:45 PM

3,880 posts, read 8,251,431 times
They're very average. I'd compare them to Pulte. They cater to first time homebuyers mostly.

Just like any homebuilder, if you buy one from them, make sure you get your own home inspection done.

Naima

Unread 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM

174 posts, read 199,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
They're very average. I'd compare them to Pulte. They cater to first time homebuyers mostly.

Just like any homebuilder, if you buy one from them, make sure you get your own home inspection done.

Naima
Thanks for that feedback. So, how would you compare them to Sandlin or DR Horton? Those builders build in that same vicinity so I thought I'd ask. Although it's my first home, I don't necessarily want an "average" builder. Too bad Horizon is only building in the northern/eastern suburbs.

Unread 12-15-2011, 01:50 PM

83 posts, read 91,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Thanks for that feedback. So, how would you compare them to Sandlin or DR Horton? Those builders build in that same vicinity so I thought I'd ask. Although it's my first home, I don't necessarily want an "average" builder. Too bad Horizon is only building in the northern/eastern suburbs.
I've inspected a couple Gehan homes in McKinney. As was said, they seem to cater to a certain price range and size - nothing wrong with that at all. It's hard to compare builders in general, since many of them have several options of size and amenities. Gehan quality seemed similar to many other 'track' home builders in the metroplex.

Unread 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM

914 posts, read 905,408 times
Google "Gehan" in these forums and you will see a lot of posts about them. I personally have posted repeatedly since we finished our build with them in February 2009. I would put them in a category way above DR Horton or KB Homes, slightly higher than Ryland, and more similar to David Weekley and Wilshire (although Gehan isn't national) but less costly than a true custom home. I think you hear less about them because they build exclusively in Texas.

Our neighborhood in Austin certainly isn't catering to a first-time homebuyer, with the average Gehan price hovering near $300,000 and often pushing $380K. Our home is VERY well built (our impression plus the impression of an inspector and a builder friend who was with us through the whole build) but Gehan's customer service and desire to help the customer through the build and with the warranty issues SUCKS. They definitely need improvement there - just pray you have a good superintendent if you're building! If we had not had to stay on top of the entire build process (like be on site every day to make sure the tens of thousands of dollars worth of upgrades got installed), we would have been very pleased. Luckily the warranty issues (save for grading of the yard) were minimal and quickly fixed, but I waged a true battle on them with the grading problems we had (resulting in standing water on the side yards) and eventually got them fixed.

I've heard numerous complaints from the other homeowners in the neighborhood (from some of the builders mentioned above) about condensation on windows, cabinet doors falling off, fixtures and toilets breaking, cracking tiles, etc. and we've had no similar issues with our Gehan. Like I said, we've been exceptionally pleased with the solidity and way our home has held up over the past almost three years.

If you're looking for a nice, solid home with a good finish out, Gehan is a good choice. We have Mannington hard woods (not laminate), Interceramic tile, Moen fixtures, Mohawk carpet, Merillat cherry cabinets, and Boral bricks - and most of that was standard. They were very cheap with their lighting fixtures, however, so we've upgraded most of them. You may not have as many options to choose from as you would with a bigger national builder, but the ones they have are generally nice.

If you have any other questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Unread 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,797 times
We had a Gehan home built in Round Rock about 1 1/2 years ago and love it. The only issue is the condensation in the windows and we complained and nothing done. I wish I knew how to find out what kind of windows they are so I could research how to fix the problem. It is not just alittle condensation but big pools of water running down the metal frame of the windows when the temp drops in the 30s at night.

Unread 03-09-2012, 02:07 PM

16,617 posts, read 13,830,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfromtx View Post
We had a Gehan home built in Round Rock about 1 1/2 years ago and love it. The only issue is the condensation in the windows and we complained and nothing done. I wish I knew how to find out what kind of windows they are so I could research how to fix the problem. It is not just alittle condensation but big pools of water running down the metal frame of the windows when the temp drops in the 30s at night.
That's condensation from the cold outside air hitting the warm air on the metal frame. Have you tried caulking around the window inside & outside the home ?

Post this question over in the Home section and I'd bet you'll get your answer.

Unread 03-09-2012, 02:41 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,006,308 times
Gehan is a real person for one and a local guy as well.

They do specialize in more modestly sized and priced homes. I've never owned one but my perception is their bang for the buck is very high. They've been around for a long while as well.

Unread 05-01-2012, 12:37 AM

2 posts, read 10,085 times
Default Condensation issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfromtx View Post
Do you know what your interior temperature is when this happens? Usually when condensation like that happens it is because there is a big temperature difference between the inside and the outside. On new windows, the seal is air-tight, so none of the cold air is leaking in to even out the temperature difference, so there can be a lot of condensation. In older homes the windows have lost some of that seal, so you wouldn't see as much condensation. If you notice this problem a little less over time, then that is probably it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas