U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:37 PM

1,496 posts, read 768,060 times

Advertisements

Mr. Neil Young said it best, "see the losers in the real bars/ meet the winners in the dives"...this might also correspond with the place folks live, too. Anybody can set up shop in an area deemed "cool,hip,trendy,funky,etc" and blend in getting their pass stamped...it takes true "coolness" to be able to maintain in an area thought of as the formers opposite. Peace, doods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,134,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
It can be argued that nowhere in north TX is an area truly "walkable," especially if her job will be in Plano, so your point is moot. She'll have to get a car soon.

(Using the word "hip" is pretty much the nail in the coffin for your credibility in this argument however.)
I am not a fan of North Texas at all, but Uptown, parts of Oaklawn, Deep Ellum, and Lower Greenville in Dallas, and ignoring the lack of a grocery store, downtown Fort Worth, are entirely walkable neighborhoods. Addison, on the other hand is a very unattractive suburban failed version of new urbanism.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM

8,567 posts, read 5,139,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I am not a fan of North Texas at all, but Uptown, parts of Oaklawn, Deep Ellum, and Lower Greenville in Dallas, and ignoring the lack of a grocery store, downtown Fort Worth, are entirely walkable neighborhoods. Addison, on the other hand is a very unattractive suburban failed version of new urbanism.
They used to have a pretty cool fire works on July 4th. Back when most of Addison was a vacant lot.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
They used to have a pretty cool fire works on July 4th. Back when most of Addison was a vacant lot.
Apparently they still do (they call it "Kaboomtown" or somesuch). Or so says a co-worker. I dunno, was back up north that day.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM

4,246 posts, read 3,567,671 times
Yes, Kaboomtown still goes on, I was there last year.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,907,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Seriously though, when you visit a city in Europe you go to the innerstadt. When going to visit San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, Boston, Miami, New Orleans, et al do you really want to skip the city and visit the 'burbs? You go to the city because that's the interesting part. The only place I can think of that is an exception is L.A. The suburbs in many of these towns are interchangeable.
Somehow I doubt I'd see anyone on this forum taking a stroll in much of the innerstadt of Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Miami, and pre-Katrina NOLA. ( Unless you were of the subculture that goes on an urban safari for a thug hunt.)

Speaking of interchangeable - when I lived in LA, there were people who had a home in Brentwood and complained about people who lived "behind the orange curtain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
You can still walk down Oaklawn today at noon and get a sales pitch and after dark you can get interviewed. Great place for a walkabout (aka safari) , but not to raise a family.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,439,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Somehow I doubt I'd see anyone on this forum taking a stroll in much of the innerstadt of Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Miami, and pre-Katrina NOLA. ( Unless you were of the subculture that goes on an urban safari for a thug hunt.)

Speaking of interchangeable - when I lived in LA, there were people who had a home in Brentwood and complained about people who lived "behind the orange curtain."

You can still walk down Oaklawn today at noon and get a sales pitch and after dark you can get interviewed. Great place for a walkabout (aka safari) , but not to raise a family.
Just about all of those cities do have "in-town" areas where there is some street life and walkability -- Melrose Avenue in LA or Coconut Grove in Miami for instance. As for "behind the Orange Curtain," that's a special Los Angeles put-down used for anyone who lives in Orange County. Sort of like when New Yorkers complain about the bridge'n'tunnel crowd or people in Miami Beach look askance at the causeway kids. It's a way of building oneself up by putting others down.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 AM

5,402 posts, read 5,966,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Just about all of those cities do have "in-town" areas where there is some street life and walkability -- Melrose Avenue in LA or Coconut Grove in Miami for instance. As for "behind the Orange Curtain," that's a special Los Angeles put-down used for anyone who lives in Orange County. Sort of like when New Yorkers complain about the bridge'n'tunnel crowd or people in Miami Beach look askance at the causeway kids. It's a way of building oneself up by putting others down.
THAT'S pretty much the vibe I'm getting from some of the posts in this thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas