U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 8,235 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are a young couple looking for a home in Dallas for under $140,000. We'd like at least a 3 bed/2 bath with a fenced yard.

What area do you think is the best value for a home in our price range, as far as quality, resale value, schools, safety, etc.? We would like to live in a community that is diverse, has young couples and families, and has plenty of green space for dog and eventually family time outside. Can a home with these qualities be had in Dallas proper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Status: "The man likes to play chess; let's get him some rocks. Red" (set 7 days ago)

3,973 posts, read 9,417,805 times
Garland, Mesquite, McKinney come to mind. There are a lot of homes under 140K. Where will you be commuting to?

Naima

Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 AM

5,539 posts, read 1,054,855 times
Take a look in Irving. It's a wonderful, very safe, and diverse city to live in, and is located just west of Dallas. Short commute to downtown Dallas depending on where you live in Irving (South Irving is closer to downtown Dallas than North Irving, but both are still close).

I just did a search on Moderator cut: realtor.com for you with your criteria. I found over 125 homes with at least 3 beds and 2 baths and a fenced yard for under $140,000.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-14-2011 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Realtor.com is the ONLY real estate site that can be posted on CD per TOS!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 AM

784 posts, read 986,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrami View Post
My husband and I are a young couple looking for a home in Dallas for under $140,000. We'd like at least a 3 bed/2 bath with a fenced yard.

What area do you think is the best value for a home in our price range, as far as quality, resale value, schools, safety, etc.? We would like to live in a community that is diverse, has young couples and families, and has plenty of green space for dog and eventually family time outside. Can a home with these qualities be had in Dallas proper?
A lot of what is available depends on where your jobs are. Like many threads on this forum, the first question seems to be "where is your job" DFW is really spread out and traffic can be bad.

As far as something like you are looking for being available in Dallas proper - I would say probably not. I am sure others will disagree with me, but I think of Dallas proper as inside of 635. There may be pockets of homes that would work in your price range, but you might have to give something up (schools or safety come to mind). The further out you go, the more likely you are to find what you are looking for. I would start with your job location and go from there.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 AM

8,354 posts, read 11,420,024 times
In Dallas "proper" as you asked, it's going to be fairly challenging due to the DISD schools. While there are great schools within DISD, the majority of them are located in neighborhoods that cost 2-3X your budget. You may want to check 75208 in North Oak Cliff (Rosemont Elementary is a gem! Great academic but also a lot of cultural extras for art/music/language that parents have raised money to add to the school) and 75218 (Hexter Elementary on the east side of White Rock Lake). Possibly also Lips omb Elemetary in 75214 (East Dallas/ Junius Heights). It's going to be a hunt, though, and the middle & high schools zoned after these two elementary schools are downright awful, so you'd be looking at DISD magnets/ private schools/moving again after 5th grade. Find a MLS site that lets you search by elementary school.

If you are open to a condo/townhome, you could also look at Kramer Elementary (75230) in North Dallas and Stonewall Jackson (75214) in East Dallas/M Streets. Both feed into good DISD high schools.

Garland (northeast burb, about 25-35 rush hour minutes out from downtown) and McKinney (far north burb, about 60-70 rush hour minutes to downtown) have good schools and many, many more homes in your price range.

Just depends on how much you really want Dallas proper vs suburb. I'm usually very pro Dallas, but it takes about $225-275k to really open up your neighborhood choices when you plan on using DISD schools.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,007,233 times
Lipscomb Area in Junius Heights is possible, but difficult, and the Junior High and High School here are not awful. I assume TC80 means the JH and HS pulling from Rosemont and Hexter are awful.

We did it for just about that number + a couple of thousand in rewiring the home, but it took time. I f you need a house NOW, then what you seek is probably not really doable in Dallas proper. If you can bide your time, then much more is possible.

We rented in the area - as it turned out just six doors down from our house - for three years. We saw a house we liked, and watched for a few months as the owner tried to sell it. Doing a little research - asking neighbors - we found out the guy who bought it at a foreclosure sale thought he could flip it quickly to someone who would want to rent it out. He was getting no takers, because it was a one bath, and those are difficult to rent. As a result of that we got it for WAY below market in the area, after he and the owner before him, had done all the work except electric you could ever want done on a house (reinforced frame and attic, foundation, plumbing, etc.), and ended up in a house we love, in the neighborhood we wanted, with good schools, and which This Old House picked as the best historic home neighborhood for families. I know four other families in the area who did much the same thing. If you want a home for that price in a neighborhood meeting your qualifications in Dallas, it really has to be done that way. Legwork, Time, a bit of luck, and being in no hurry at all.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:50 AM

784 posts, read 986,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you are open to a condo/townhome, you could also look at Kramer Elementary (75230) in North Dallas and Stonewall Jackson (75214) in East Dallas/M Streets. Both feed into good DISD high schools.
Doesn't Stonewall follow the Long/Woodrow feeder pattern?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Lipscomb Area in Junius Heights is possible, but difficult, and the Junior High and High School here are not awful. I assume TC80 means the JH and HS pulling from Rosemont and Hexter are awful.
yes, I didn mean Rosemont & Hexter have bad high schools. I had typed out the post and then thought Libscomb may be another remote possibility......schools are of course good in the Lipscomb feeder!

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Doesn't Stonewall follow the Long/Woodrow feeder pattern?
Yes, it does. And lots of condos south of Lovers & west of Skillman which feed into Stonewall.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM

4,454 posts, read 8,411,878 times
Richardson and Plano are also two very good options for that price point. It'll be an older home, like from the 70's, but many are updated. For a newer home under $140k, you need to go further outside the main circle to McKinney or Wylie or Sachse or Rowlett...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas