Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

305 posts, read 476,574 times

Advertisements

Discrepancy between levels of public education visible in Dallas - News - Daily Campus - Southern Methodist University

[quote]
A 2010 to 2011 campus profile by the TEA found that the difference in funds spent per student at the two schools is slight. However, Woodrow Wilson's population consists of 68 percent at-risk students, compared to Highland Park's 7.9 percent. In addition, fewer students at Woodrow Wilson pass the state's standardized TAKS tests.
The discrepancy between levels of public education throughout the Dallas metropolitan area is a widely acknowledged problem — and one that public officials and school districts have continually failed to address.
Economic differences throughout Dallas school districts impact the caliber of education students receive.
...........Newsweek .
Moderator cut: only can quote 1-2 sentences and provide link

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-16-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,753 times
This is spot on.Bottom line ,the real change needs to start with educating young people early on that having children costs money and requires alot of work.The cycle of having children young and not getting an education is a huge problem for many of these at risk children going thru districts like disd.It is quite amazing that a young woman might have 2 or 3 children with her boyfriend when neither are college educated and another woman will wait until 35 bcause she is pursuing education and orher career.The children in the lesser situation suffer from parents poor choices.Theae kids really dodeserve more of a chance and that starts with education opportunities and teaching them to make good choices.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,373 times
waidaminnit, ya mean I gotta teach my kid and eddicate them ON MY OWN and motivate em and all that?

Look, I ALREADY gotta pay taxes for the skools. If I have to teach my kid AT HOME, then why am I payin' all that?

Sheesh "parental involvement in education"? Look, I ask "is your homework done? Well, WHY NOT?!" You mean I gotta do MORE?

What is this, some kinda rigged con game? "Your kid's not doin' well because you don't teach them". Heck, YOU'RE the teacher. Whadda they payin' ya for?

Now excuse me, I got a game to watch and a beer to drink.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Alot of these children come from homes where parents do not pay property taxes because they are renting or living with friends / family. Single parent ,uneducated households.Some are watching siblings.It really is tough for them to succeed with the obstacles they have been dealt.There needs to be more of an emphasis on teaching these kids critical thinking skills and how to make good choices.It starts with breaking the cycle they come from.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Alot of these children come from homes where parents do not pay property taxes because they are renting or living with friends / family. Single parent ,uneducated households.Some are watching siblings.It really is tough for them to succeed with the obstacles they have been dealt.There needs to be more of an emphasis on teaching these kids critical thinking skills and how to make good choices.It starts with breaking the cycle they come from.
Well, one problem is that a lot of childhood brain development occurs during the first two years of life. (There's an article I recently read on the topic, may try and find the link later). By the time the kids get into kindergarten and first grade, you're already facing obstacles in "breaking the cycle".

Many of the issues require greater societal approaches, but there's all sorts of political and other debates that arise when considering potential solutions.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:18 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,434,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I agree with most of this, except the do not pay property taxes on renters. Obviously the landlords pay taxes directly, but equally obviously they factor that into rent.

Thre is a huge problem with parental involvement. My son goes to an excellent public school, but there is a large group of parents who are very involved in their child's education, and a group who are uninvolved. At an event earlier this year to meet the teachers, talk about what they are studying, ask questions and address concerns, one of my son's teachers (a teacher I love) finally had it. "I'm sorry this is a waste of everybody's time. Your children are all doing great, and you have all already asked any questions you had, or met with me, or listened to me address my concerns with you. The parents I NEED to talk to are the ones who aren't here, and who never come to events like this." She seemed split between the verge of laughter, and the verge of tears.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 PM

305 posts, read 476,574 times
Goes to show what you're really buying into with a "premium" school district is the environment and the peers your kids will be going to school with, not advanced instruction or more money. Woodrow seems quite good technically with IB and other programs that really are outstanding. But it seems the majority of the kids that go there aren't interested for various reasons.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM

Exactly Jake oil. The teachers are just as qualified and paid te same in both.The students and parents re the difference ....

Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
waidaminnit, ya mean I gotta teach my kid and eddicate them ON MY OWN and motivate em and all that?

Look, I ALREADY gotta pay taxes for the skools. If I have to teach my kid AT HOME, then why am I payin' all that?
The secret is that you are the person who has to motivate the kid. While you aren't the one teaching the kid, you have to tell the kid "Go learn in school!"

You might want to read this article and think it over: "The Immigrants' View of Education"

Old 12-17-2011, 01:53 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
School districts need to do what Carol Jago refers to here: "High School - If You Earn It"
That may help students who are uninterested in high school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
Goes to show what you're really buying into with a "premium" school district is the environment and the peers your kids will be going to school with, not advanced instruction or more money. Woodrow seems quite good technically with IB and other programs that really are outstanding. But it seems the majority of the kids that go there aren't interested for various reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas