U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 AM

64 posts, read 110,267 times

Advertisements

Ok, I need some thoughts and opinions. We are renting a home 2 min. from the Firewheel Mall in North Garland and absolutely love the area. Hubby works right off Tpke and Renner so he can get there in 15 min.
Our current house is nice but the neighborhood is not the best and I would love more land. 1/2 an acre to an acre would be great but I know that might be difficult around here and still stay within 20 min. drive time for hubby to get to work. We also go to church in Rockwall and don't want to be too far from there.

So, as for that goes, I think Wylie, Sachse, Rowlett, and parts of North Garland would be good for buying.

By choice, since we homeschool, we're on one income so we'd be looking at homes less than $140K.

Here's another thing, we've talked about building. We have connections and a really good friend who's a contractor that would work with us (think discounts, lol, as my husband would put a lot of time and work into it with him). But, I'd want to build something not in a cookie cutter neighborhood and where we could really have a choice as to what our home would look like. Is that even possible? lol Would Sachse and Wylie allow that?

I know that's not much to build, but I think it could be doable as we don't need nor want everything to be high end.

Any thoughts? (be nice, please)

Also, Garland has been a little harder for me to figure out. There are pockets of good neighborhoods and then before you know it, you're back into a more run down one. What neighborhoods would be good to look at?

Whew! Good to get everything down on 'paper'.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-20-2011 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: edited title to reflect subject of post
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,702,209 times
Garland is an older city with lots of homes built in the boom years after WWII, so there will be many pockets of poor neighborhoods. Just a fact with older close-in suburbs. It will be very difficult to find a decent home on over 1/2 acre for $140K or under; your best bet will be to find a house with a large corner or cul-de-sac lot in the towns you've mentioned, but they are out there. It's a great area to live in, I agree. Good luck with your search.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

7,205 posts, read 19,278,324 times
The size land you want along with the area and your price point don't match. You can go further north on 78 to Lavon and Nevada and that Community area to find some inexpensive land, but you will be closer to 30 minute commute to work.

Also, you would have to worry about obtaining a construction loan. Have you looked into that? They're not that easy to obtain anymore. Not many lenders actually do them anymore. You would have to buy the land separately and then do a construction loan to build. Are you prepared for that?

I lived in Sachse, in Maxwell Creek, and my yard was HUGE! There are many houses there under $140k if you're good with 1200-1400 sqft.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM

Thank you! I'm very comfortable with a smaller home, though my husband might not be, lol. And I just realized I posted a similar question a while back. *sigh* Such it is when 3 children have stolen your brain cells. lol I'm also very open to an older home with a larger lot. I LOVE that community to the right when you turn onto Murphy Rd from 78 but I noticed there are no homes for sale there. Probably because everyone loves it!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,702,209 times
Then to start out with, I'd suggest searching in Realtor.com. You can specify 1/2 acre or more, price range, etc..

Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Yep, I've been keeping an eye there and on Yahoo Real Estate since some homes may not be registered with Realtor.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:04 PM

2,487 posts, read 5,998,352 times
Keep an eye around the North end of Rowlett off Hickox- Castle - there is several homes going to be listed along with property very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas