U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 AM

216 posts, read 455,087 times
Default highland park ISD...not so exclusive?

I was surprised to find rental property available within much touted Highland Park ISD for under $1000. This property http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...415?source=web is available for $850. This one http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...301?source=web
is available for $1000.

So for $850, a regular working stiff can get their kiddo into the most exclusive ISD in the state? Whats the catch? 850 per month is less than you would pay for many "second tier" privates

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-24-2011 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: No specific realtor sites can be posted here - only Realtor.com. Both have been edited & replaced.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 06:43 AM

480 posts, read 620,377 times
The catch, in this case, is that both properties are for 1 bedroom. But to answer your question there are plenty of regular folks in HPISD renting for under $2k per month and/or living in modest-size homes so their kids can attend the district. The belief that there is some magical income requirement or price of admission is a myth.

I think what limits a lot of families from living in HPISD is that to purchase a good size family house, with 3+ bedrooms and a bit of space so everyone is not runnng into each other constantly is going to set you back some serious cash. A lot of folks do not want to get into a smaller home just so their kids can go to HPISD. And there are those who will argue that you will need a lot of cash to keep up with the Joneses. But there is a really strong rental market.

We have met many families who are renting. Some of these people have bigger homes in suburbs like Plano and Frisco, and they rent a smaller place in the Park Cities so the kids can go to HPISD. For others the rental is their only home. Not everyone in the Park Cities lives in a mansion.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:08 AM

2,667 posts, read 1,913,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
I was surprised to find rental property available within much touted Highland Park ISD for under $1000. This property 4538 University Boulevard Unit: 30 University Park TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11694404 - Realtor.com® is available for $850. This one 4525 Emerson Ave Unit: 3 University Park TX - Home for Rent - MLS #11697360 - Realtor.com®
is available for $1000.

So for $850, a regular working stiff can get their kiddo into the most exclusive ISD in the state? Whats the catch? 850 per month is less than you would pay for many "second tier" privates
It's likely student, as in SMU housing. And as stated, it is a 1 bedroom which means you just can't rent it and send 8 of your kids to Armstrong elementary, there's a limit. There are also perceived notions of 'apartment kids' that have been previously stated. Some have issues with it, some don't care.

But there's nothing wrong with a lower priced 2 bedroom, especially for a single parent or divorcee. I'd consider it a coup for the lucky parent that got it.

As for Mami's mansion comment, there are tons more cottages and smaller homes in Park Cities compare to the 5-6000 sq ft big boxes in the suburbs. 5000 sq ft is the upper end in Park Cities unless you're in Volk Estates or have good acreage (which usually won't actually be a full acre).

Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 AM

8,567 posts, read 4,814,867 times
highland park ISD...not so exclusive?

There's nothing exclusive about Highland Park, outside one's own perception. But I don't think a parent would be able to rent a one bedroom to live with with a child. I had a co-worker grew up in Park Cities area and later lived in a older one bedroom apartment, the garage structure about to collapse. But that didn't stop us from riding bicycles on the streets of Highland Park.

There's not much to stop anyone from living in the area, other than their own achievements. The place is not exclusive restricted, only achievement restricted. The best kept secret in Dallas, it's not snobbery, just perception.

Go for it.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM

350 posts, read 367,533 times
SMU students have to live somewhere...

Old 12-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
highland park ISD...not so exclusive?

There's nothing exclusive about Highland Park, outside one's own perception. But I don't think a parent would be able to rent a one bedroom to live with with a child. I had a co-worker grew up in Park Cities area and later lived in a older one bedroom apartment, the garage structure about to collapse. But that didn't stop us from riding bicycles on the streets of Highland Park.

There's not much to stop anyone from living in the area, other than their own achievements. The place is not exclusive restricted, only achievement restricted. The best kept secret in Dallas, it's not snobbery, just perception.

Go for it.
I get more of a glam vibe from Plano and Southlake than Park Cities...unless I'm a Highland Park Village. But it'd be a shrewd move for a parent with limited means to get their kids into a good school system (if they couldn't do Dallas magnets).

However using the average price of homes sold being above $1M, it's hyperbole to say it's not exclusive, as long as you have 7 figures to spend on a home.

Kinda like saying that only height and skill level are preventing my NBA future, otherwise, it's open to me.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,467,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
However using the average price of homes sold being above $1M, it's hyperbole to say it's not exclusive, as long as you have 7 figures to spend on a home.

Kinda like saying that only height and skill level are preventing my NBA future, otherwise, it's open to me.
QFT.

Not sure about you guys, but any place that has an admission fee of $1mil or over is pretty exclusive to me.

But to the OP, remember, there's always an exception to EVERY rule.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
QFT.

Not sure about you guys, but any place that has an admission fee of $1mil or over is pretty exclusive to me.

But to the OP, remember, there's always an exception to EVERY rule.
Likely the homes off Preston and Mockingbird, Lakeside...the compounds in Preston Hollow...

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM

480 posts, read 620,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post

There are many families in the Park Cities that have not spent anywhere near this amount to "get in". Even if you are outright buying a home, there are properties to be found under that amount. A quick search right now turned up 15 between $350k-$599k. So it is a mistake to say $1 mil is the entry point.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
There are many families in the Park Cities that have not spent anywhere near this amount to "get in". Even if you are outright buying a home, there are properties to be found under that amount. A quick search right now turned up 15 between $350k-$599k. So it is a mistake to say $1 mil is the entry point.
Correct. I was using averages of recently sold homes. Also homes purchased around 2000 were approximately half what they are going for now, so many long time residents didn't pay nearly as much as the prices are today.

Still what you'd get for $350 in Park Cities is alot different than what you'd get for 350 in Mckinney, Plano or Colleyville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas