U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Daily needs driving
Yes I drive 20+ miles a day out of my way for daily needs 1 3.13%
No everything is within a few minutes of home/work or on the way 31 96.88%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 PM

670 posts, read 2,674,353 times

Advertisements

I spent 10 years in Southern California as a teen/young adult and driving was the norm. When we moved to Dallas area most of our friends/coworker's didn't venture far for day to day stuff (not all but most), i.e., their day care was on the way to work or the gym was, buying a house 20-45 miles from work was the exception not the rule (and usually limited to out of state people who didn't really look into close by work homes versus price)...but recently I met a Fort Worth native who insists people drive 30-40 miles out of their way for a "good" daycare and a "good" gym. Really? Because I really must be limiting myself as I simply cannot see driving that far with all the options I have in my area to daily things (I'm in Allen/Plano area). When I lived in Little Elm I felt like I was practically in Oklahoma, but there was nothing there at the time (1999-2003).

Last edited by USA_Mom; 01-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: adding dates for Little Elm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 01:28 PM

5,774 posts, read 6,655,737 times
Voted for close by, but it's more than just a few minutes so I'm kind of in between. 15 min for gym, 5 for daycare, 30-45 for work, 5-12 for groceries, 15 for favorite park, 25-30 for golf on average as just a few examples.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

343 posts, read 660,506 times
10-15 minutes to kid's school
7-10 minutes work
3 minutes (or walk) to groceries
8 minutes to country club
5 minutes (or short bike ride) to many of our favorite restaurants
10 minutes to gym

As you can see I got pretty lucky everything is so close by! And its one of the few parts of town I can actually walk and especially bike places

Old 01-06-2012, 10:59 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
In Lakewood most people will simply NOT drive more than 10 minutes to get anyplace unless it's a work commute. Often you can't even hear a complete song on the car radio!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM

670 posts, read 2,674,353 times
Well I was rethinking this and I remembered when I worked for a public speaker from out of state. People wrote letters begging her to come to DFW area. But people refused to drive more than 10 minutes from their house to see this person after writing letters saying "if you are EVER in our area" and these were free seminars (obviously this person up selled her items at these things to make money), but I remember thinking holy crap--you write to get this person to come to the area, they do and you can't drive 20 miles? And that wasn't a daily necessity thing, but more of a once every five year thing. I don't want to say people are "lazy" or anything negative, it's just everything in these areas IS close and I can't see driving that far either (mind you this person I found out recently had to start driving 20 miles to a job after being laid off for 2 years so I think she's justifying the new economy to other stuff or something..I dunno).

Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 PM

931 posts, read 1,744,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
In Lakewood most people will simply NOT drive more than 10 minutes to get anyplace unless it's a work commute. Often you can't even hear a complete song on the car radio!
I have everything I need within 5 minutes or less. I rarely use more than a tank of gas a month.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,179,990 times
When I was younger and lived with my parents - the mentality was that anything within 15-20 miles is OK.

Now that I've lived in the city and have experienced it both ways - closer is better (for most things).

For example, a gym. I live in a complex where the commercial (not apartment included) gym is right next door... that's awesome. A 2 minute walking commute to gym removes any alibi I have of not going.

If I had to drive 20 miles to a gym.... I'd almost never go.

But we have to deal with the cards that we're dealt. If a house is really nice but in a far location but is affordable to a particular family - maybe driving a distance is the only way to make all the compromises meet.

And that's ok.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM

27,461 posts, read 44,959,956 times
part of this is individual preference and pain tolerance
there are some people I know who love the theater and they will usually drive into Dallas much more often than we will to see shows at the Winspeare or Dallas Summer musicals or go to events in Addison or other locations if the play seems interesting...

for some people it is about personal relationships--
I know some women who will follow a hairdresser if they change shop and relocate to areas that are farther away vs find a new one closer...they consider it is far more trouble to try to find someone they trust with their hair and conversation than the time/inconvenience it is to go farther afield...

for others it is about time--they have time and they choose to spend it persuing something important to THEM--
if you are a neat freak, then the daycare you use and the gym you use might be much more important to you than to someone else and you might certainly be willing to drive to get the same standard of cleanliness that you would personally provide (if that is possible)...

I know some people who choose a sandwich/deli because of the bread they provide and it is not the closest sandwich deli either...but they go there over closer ones...

So when we moved just 3 miles from our home of 20+ years about 4 yrs ago--I started using a new cleaners eventhough I was supremely happy with the one I had used for more than 10 yrs...
this one does a good job--not great/but certainly adequate--and it is very close to my house and right across the street from my bank...
I shop at the Kroger/Tom Thumb that is closer to my new house and only go to the Kroger by my old house when I need two things I can't get my new one to stock...
and I don't shop at Walmart for groceries except rarely even though it is the closest grocery to my house...
But I still drive about 15-20 min longer to go to the Pet Smart where we board our animals rather than use the one in Hurst that is newer and closer to me--because I know many of the people who work there and they have been nice to our pets in the years we have taken them there...
and I still use the same vet office which is 10 min further

one thing I am willing to do is drive to Plano Angelika on fairly regular basis--once or twice a month--to see movies that don't come to local theaters--
I consider that time well spent but wish the Grapevine construction would get finished because I refuse to use the freeway through there and my two alternate routes add time to the trips...

So while I can certainly see why in this DFW metroplex there are many options for what most people would consider the mandatory functions of life--and work location is probably the most necessary drive that people have to make whether it is convenient or not--that people would usually default to the closest or least hassle choice...
but that just means you have the option of making some choices that are not that convenient--if you want to pay the price in time/gas/frustration that it takes...

PS/perspective--my husband had someone transferring from Shreveport to the FTW office several years ago and we spent some time with them giving info about different areas of the Tarrant side they might want to move to--
empty-nesters but under 50, liked to eat out and try new restaurants, wanted sports bar that followed LSU if possible--
when she would ask about locations and areas in the NE part of Tarrant county--so much of the time I would say "that is 20 min away"--until it got to be a joke--
now I know that everything in the metroplex is not 20 min from anything else--but IF all this traffic construction ever gets settled down--it IS remarkebly easy to get around in some areas of DFW

they eventually bought in Mansfield and after living there for 3-4 yrs have come to regret it because things they like/want to do are NOT 20 min away there...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,938,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It is funny how my perspective has shifted since moving here. It took a couple of years though. When I lived in North Dallas/Richardson I thought nothing of driving for 30-40 minutes to get to something I wanted to do, or needed to do. When I moved here, someone complained there was no place close for Ice cream, and when I mentioned, Wild About Harry's they pointed out it was "way over the other side of 75." I thought they were nuts. Now 3 years later if I have to go North of Mockingbird, West of Garland, or East or 75 for any daily activity (groceries, park, dining, etc) I think of it as really making a trip. I recently started taking my wife to work at her new job in The Plaza of The Americas building, and the moment I leave Deep Ellum and cross 75 for those few feet, I feel like I have left "my part" of town.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Yes and when I must go outside the area I get this wave of relief coming over me when I get back - it's like taking off your tie after a formal event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas