U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times

Advertisements

You will have zippo problems assimilating to DFW and Flower Mound. This is a very friendly and welcoming area.

Now why Flower Mound? Is it job related or school related? Reason I ask is the commutes here can be horrible so if you're working in Dallas FM is not your best bet. In 1991 I lived in FM and commuted to Irving and it wasn't too bad, but today I doubt I'd put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:36 PM

108 posts, read 137,139 times
Thanks so much for your replies. Knowing that it is the Bible Belt, I just wasn't sure how it was. I am looking forward to warm weather (I hate the cold) and am looking forward to the new start

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXbound2011 View Post
Thanks so much for your replies. Knowing that it is the Bible Belt, I just wasn't sure how it was. I am looking forward to warm weather (I hate the cold) and am looking forward to the new start
Ha Ha, I thought the same thing moving here from Boston. There are Bible thumpers here but over all it's just the same as anywhere else. But you will have to get used to the cold. I don't think it made it to 60 today! Too cold for golf.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 PM

108 posts, read 137,139 times
The job is about 1/2 hr away (actually timed it when I was down there), but I realy liked FM and the schools made it a winner for what I'm looking for. It is strange to see homes so close together though!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have NEVER, EVER heard of that. And my family has about 100+ years of Dallas real estate experience, both broker and landlord.
Uh... It's certainly not unheard of, I've seen it in Plano for some duplexes in 75023, some condos down in 75219, and saw it in FL for apartments/condos as well.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I ran into that in Austin too when in college.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,685,568 times
Quote:
The job is about 1/2 hr away (actually timed it when I was down there), but I realy liked FM and the schools made it a winner for what I'm looking for. It is strange to see homes so close together though!
You won't mind the small housing lots when you start getting your summer water bill from watering the lawn! It is amazing how quickly the months will pass between now and July. You have time to research social groups for yourself and your son. There are many groups that have both single and family activities. I like the Dallas Sierra club, there's also meetup.com and many other groups. You will like it here alot once October rolls around. July - Sept is the worst time of year and initially you will surely feel you have moved to Hades. Make sure the place you move to has a newer Air Conditioner -- have the air handler serviced and have a tech test the condenser/compresser. Even if you are renting, you can schedule a cheap "tune-up" that will lead to discovery of any potential failures of the system. Make this a condition of your lease that the a/c will be tuned up and any corrections addressed..... HVAC failures during the middle of our summer means having to stay in a hotel until the repair is completed. JFWIW

Old 01-06-2012, 07:18 AM

59 posts, read 129,100 times
I do not, yet, live in Texas, but speaking as someone who has lived in the South my entire life:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
My wife had our 6 mo old son on her arm and went to eat at a place just across from Prestonwood Baptist Church (Plano) and she did not have her ring on at the time.
Typically, an unmarried woman with a teenager will not raise any eyebrows, as it will be assumed that she is divorced. An unmarried woman with an infant, WILL raise some eyebrows, because it will be assumed that she was never married.
Not saying people are right or wrong with their opinions on the matter. Just stating that is how it is perceived.

Quote:
I know some private owners will not rent to unmarried couples.
That happens where I live. Of course, I live in a college town, so, they are trying to keep college kids out. These same places WILL rent to a single parent.

Quote:
I'm concerned about how people will treat me/us. This may sound strange but I don't know how folks down there take to single parents even though I know it is very common.
I am not much help with this, as I am about to be in this situation, myself. I have a friend who is divorced, the biggest problem she had was with married women. It seems that they were scared that since she was single, she would be after their husbands? LOL As if! Any self-respecting woman knows "if he will cheat with you, he will cheat on you." I am not interested in anyone's husband! Not sure if you will have that problem, or what to tell you about how to combat it.

Just be glad that you are your son can move and start over!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:03 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
OR it could have been all in her mind. STOP making it sound like they were chastizing her with stares
My wife is president of a mid-size firm. She is pretty good at reading people and a lot tougher than most. If you want to tell her that "its all in her mind" and "not to worry her pretty little head" that will not work.

Quote:
To the OP I don't think you'll have any trouble with folks.
I agree, but we should not blow sunshine, either. There will be some people who will not cotton to it. It will not be overt, but it will occur. Depending on who the dominant people are in the social circles, it manifests itself in that you may not get invited to a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I have NEVER, EVER heard of that. And my family has about 100+ years of Dallas real estate experience, both broker and landlord.
I won't rent to unmarried couples who put both their names on the app as guarantors of payment. I have six rental properties. A coworker ran into the same issue recently as well. My property manager says about 15% of his owners have this rule. For me, its nothing personal. I just perceive married couples as being more stable.

Single parents are fine. Just have a high credit rating, a stable job, and the down payment.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
I won't rent to unmarried couples who put both their names on the app as guarantors of payment. I have six rental properties. A coworker ran into the same issue recently as well. My property manager says about 15% of his owners have this rule. For me, its nothing personal. I just perceive married couples as being more stable.

Single parents are fine. Just have a high credit rating, a stable job, and the down payment.
Not renting to unmarried couples because of the risk of losing rent payments due to a breakup is one thing- and wise if you've been burned before. Not renting to them because you're imposing your morals/ beliefs that living in sin is "wrong" is entirely another thing. I took the poster who said "landlords won't rent to unmarried couples" to mean they were imposing moral beliefs or possibly not wanting to rent to gays (given that 75219 was mentioned); not that the reason was grounded in financial responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or