U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM

108 posts, read 141,306 times

Advertisements

Here's the quick story - I am scheduled to relocate (want Flower Mound) and be there this summer. I just found out that husband won't be going (he found someone else ) after we all have been planning to go the last few months. So my teenage son & I will come down and it'll be just us. I'm concerned about how people will treat me/us. This may sound strange but I don't know how folks down there take to single parents even though I know it is very common. Any advice - to do or not to do to make this as smooth as possible? Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:28 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,854,701 times
There are plenty of single parents out there now, no matter where you go. 50% divorce rate statistics pretty much affect every city out there. Now, if you were to move somewhere "country" in TX, away from major cities, then perhaps you'd get a few whispers from the locals. You'll be fine in Dallas suburbs.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 PM

6,948 posts, read 19,404,346 times
Sorry about your cheating spouse. At least you can make a fresh start in a new place. The DFW area is hugh, with a population in the metro area of millions of people. More than a few households are comprised of single parents. Just like any other major metro area, this is quite commonplace and this area is no more biased against divorced parents than any other area.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM

5,856 posts, read 6,898,092 times
I think you'll be just fine, in the city or in the country. It's not like being a single parent suddenly materialized out of thin air in the 90's.

Flower Mound is a nice place. Best advice...don't believe the stereo types. Keep an open mind, and enjoy. Enjoy the food, enjoy the open spaces, enjoy the winter weather...prepare yourself for May-early November.

Welcome to Texas! Make yourself comfortable and fire away any questions you have troubling you.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM

6,530 posts, read 10,209,894 times
I wouldn't be too worried about it. Folks aren't that judgemental about single parents, and if they are they're not worth your time. I must say you're quite the glutton, though, for moving to Dallas in July. I hope you have movers helping you

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM

11,925 posts, read 22,199,300 times
I would not be worried. Even in the "Bible Belt", divorce/ single parenthood doesn't carry the stigma it did 20-30 years ago!!

Be sure to take care of yourself and get the support/ therapy YOU need in this difficult time. Whether you're religious or not, a lot of churches here host Divorce Care groups to help you heal and get organized / prepared financially, emotionally, etc to be a single parent/ adult. It's free and open to all.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,943,646 times
Well,

My wife had our 6 mo old son on her arm and went to eat at a place just across from Prestonwood Baptist Church (Plano) and she did not have her ring on at the time. It was Sunday, just as church got out, and she got tons of glares and nasty looks from that crowd. Just saying. OTOH, we've gotten warm welcomes from other churches in the area.

I know some private owners will not rent to unmarried couples.

But, in general, the Northern suburbs are tolerant and diverse.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 PM

828 posts, read 1,445,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Well,

My wife had our 6 mo old son on her arm and went to eat at a place just across from Prestonwood Baptist Church (Plano) and she did not have her ring on at the time. It was Sunday, just as church got out, and she got tons of glares and nasty looks from that crowd. Just saying. OTOH, we've gotten warm welcomes from other churches in the area.

But, in general, the Northern suburbs are tolerant and diverse.
OR it could have been all in her mind. STOP making it sound like they were chastizing her with stares

To the OP I don't think you'll have any trouble with folks.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:03 PM

670 posts, read 2,720,940 times
I *really* doubt anyone will know unless you tell them, at least my group of people and coworkers I'm around would not even take notice. Heck I'd say 50% or more of parents are divorced today and/or never married.

Now my MIL would say "everyone will notice" but she's one of those people that think "everyone" is out to getcha! Don't worry she doesn't live in Texas

Old 01-05-2012, 04:23 PM

11,925 posts, read 22,199,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
I have NEVER, EVER heard of that. And my family has about 100+ years of Dallas real estate experience, both broker and landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or