U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 28,564 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Dallas area shortly and I am curious as to some reccomendations on areas to live. I will be working all around Dallas, Fort Worth, Plano etc, so proximity to work doesnt matter.

Here is what I am looking for:

Young professional area with mostly singles who are friendly and outgoing (will not know anyone when I move) that has good restaurants, bars, and nightlife.

Apartment or townhouse.

Good culture, and diverse. I am a white male, but don't want to be surronded by only white people.

Would love to have shopping and restaurants within walking distance, but I have heard Dallas isn't really a walking city generally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Budget?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Uptown Dallas if your rent budget is over $1,000.

The Village apartments in northeast Dallas if your budget is under $1,000.

Both are very well located; good highway access. Young professional neighborhoods and close to nightlife, shops, and other activites.

Uptown is more walkable and more exciting; worth it if it's in your budget. Both areas are predominately white but you'll live among other races and backgrounds, too.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM

My budget is around $1000, but could go higher if needed for the right place.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live4golf20 View Post
My budget is around $1000, but could go higher if needed for the right place.
Then I would check out both neighborhoods when you visit. $1,000 will get you a newer, bigger place in the Village, but if youn want to be in the "hub" of Uptown, you may decide to sacrifice space or raise budget $100-300.

The Village has its own website, so google it. It's about a dozen apartment complexes all under the same management sharing grounds (trails, creeks, intramural fields, tennis courts, etc)- very close to Greenville Ave which has lots of grocery stores, shops & necessities, and some casual restaurants. Further down Greenville (south of Mockingbird) is a few miles long stretch of bars and restaurants, mostly casual/ laid back. Lots of live music & good food!

Uptown is 75204, stay west of 75 and east of Oak Lawn to really be in the neighborhood and not adjacent. Many Gables and Post owned apartment complexes so google those. The West Village and "State Thomas" parts of Uptown are the most dense and walk able, although the whole neighborhood is small and compact. There's a free trolley running along McKinney Ave between the West Village and the downtown arts district. Tons of restaurants & bars, both casual & trendy.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate your help. I will check into everything you mentioned.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,249,066 times
You might also check out the Deep Ellum area east of downtown, if you're looking for something a little more diverse and artsy than Uptown. It's a historic area that has had its ups and downs over the years but it seems to be on its way up again. There are 2 DART rail stops in Deep Ellum now and there are lots of bars and restaurants opening up. It's pretty walkable and is close to downtown and not all that far from Uptown. There are quite a few converted loft style buildings like Futura Lofts which start at $875/month and Adam Hats where the rents start around $1000 and go up from there.

Adam Hats Lofts - Lofts for rent in Deep Ellum

Futura Lofts - Lofts for rent in downtown Dallas

Deep Ellum, Texas

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Deep Ellum has a nice Facebook page, you might check that out...between there and the Village are also many good areas such as Knox-Henderson and Lower Greenville (75206). If you are here March 17, do not miss the Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Parade.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,184,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Then I would check out both neighborhoods when you visit. $1,000 will get you a newer, bigger place in the Village, but if youn want to be in the "hub" of Uptown, you may decide to sacrifice space or raise budget $100-300.

The Village has its own website, so google it. It's about a dozen apartment complexes all under the same management sharing grounds (trails, creeks, intramural fields, tennis courts, etc)- very close to Greenville Ave which has lots of grocery stores, shops & necessities, and some casual restaurants. Further down Greenville (south of Mockingbird) is a few miles long stretch of bars and restaurants, mostly casual/ laid back. Lots of live music & good food!

Uptown is 75204, stay west of 75 and east of Oak Lawn to really be in the neighborhood and not adjacent. Many Gables and Post owned apartment complexes so google those. The West Village and "State Thomas" parts of Uptown are the most dense and walk able, although the whole neighborhood is small and compact. There's a free trolley running along McKinney Ave between the West Village and the downtown arts district. Tons of restaurants & bars, both casual & trendy.
YOU ARE AWSOME!!!!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,378 times
Downtown Dallas has a lot going for it nowadays too. When I moved down here about 6 years ago now, there really wasn't much, but especially in the last few years things have really changed. I should also say I'm a 29 (soon to be 30) year old guy as well, and I love living in downtown. A lot of the big companies have their offices down here so you tend to get a ton of professionals living here to be close to work, and there are some really cool bars/restaurants opening up at the moment. Definitely worth a look, and unlike Uptown (which is about 1 mile away) there are still some apartments in the $1000 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or