Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM

328 posts, read 568,866 times

Advertisements

Need some input on which high school is safer, and has great teachers & curriculum etc..Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Safer? No doubt Rockwall is more affluent, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "safer". Both are safe IMHO. Rowlett is part of the Garland ISD, which has "freedom of choice" meaning you can choose any high school in the district. Both have excellent curricula and teachers.

I'll say this about Rockwall, where our younger kids attended - if you have a girl, she better look like a Barbie doll or she won't fit in. Most of the girls appear to meet that description. And a boy should be a football player.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM

328 posts, read 568,866 times
Really? The girls need to look like a Barbie doll?
Anyone else concur with this??

Old 01-05-2012, 10:04 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
If you brought them up well enough to have a level head and an open mind, they'll do fine no matter where you put them. There are superficial groups in any school, as well as band geeks and football jocks and what have you.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:15 AM

350 posts, read 867,811 times
I'd say Rowlett would be the better choice. Both are the typical suburban high school, but Rowlett will give a teenager a more rounded "real world" experience. Plus, with the Garland ISD freedom of choice system you can always move to Sachse HS if your kid ends up hating Rowlett.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:34 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Garland ISD also has IB at Garland High. It has more of a small-town high school flavor with a lot of history and tradition.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Safer? No doubt Rockwall is more affluent, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "safer". Both are safe IMHO. Rowlett is part of the Garland ISD, which has "freedom of choice" meaning you can choose any high school in the district. Both have excellent curricula and teachers.

I'll say this about Rockwall, where our younger kids attended - if you have a girl, she better look like a Barbie doll or she won't fit in. Most of the girls appear to meet that description. And a boy should be a football player.
I agree to the Rockwall statement. I have a daughter that is going to Rowlett (it is her Senior year) she has been there all four years and overall likes her school. Yes more well rounded then Rockwall which tends to have more shallow student body....NOT ALL Students at Rockwall or Rockwall- Heath are shallow however my daughter has several friends at both which are a delight to be around but the stories we hear makes her glad she doesn't go the either school.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:56 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,532,564 times
BTW Rowlett and Rockwall are both safe.....we are not in Compton, CA or anything and kids will be kids. But overall both safe to send your child too.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
There is alot less of what Etex describes in Rockwall high school and Rowlett high school than many others in different areas of the metroplex.Neither high school
would stand out with expected snobbery if you are looking at the median incomes of the parents in the area.Your not dealing with a student body that is coming from a median income of $110,000 plus in either school.There are other suburbs where the snobbery is alot more apparent than Rockwall or Rowlett.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I think the blonde cheerleader/ football player "idol" mentality is more "Texan" in general, and not specific to Rockwall or any other neighborhood or suburb. Where you have a critical mass of middle to upper middle class white students, that's going to be a common thing to run across in Texas.

Rowlett HS is definitely more diverse, economically and racially, due to Garland ISD's open enrollment.

Rockwall would be more of a sheltered experience; Rowlett would be more "real world" as others have said.

It just depends on what you want for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas