Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a position within his company to relocate to Dallas/FW in the upcoming months from Jacksonville, FL. The job covers the entire DFW area so no commuting to a specific office, mainly home based. We know absolutely nothing about Dallas or Texas in general. What we do know, is we aren't the biggest fan of cookie cutter homes and have a small family, one 2 year old and another baby due in 2 months. We are however willing to move to a cookie cutter home for safety and space for our family. We have always lived in historic areas close to things to do. I am a stay at home mom and my son and I frequent museums, zoos, and parks everyday, so I dont want to have to drive 30 min everyday just to do something. We are looking to rent since we will probably only live there for 2 years, between $1250-$1450 a month. First of all, can we afford a spacious home in a good area for this price range? Is this an active city with festivals, culture, music, and fun things to do? Any advice on neighborhoods or Dallas v.s Fort Worth to help us find what would meet these standards would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,658 times
I would say that Lakewood would be a great area for you , but I will be honest with your budget , it will be hard to get any large house for rental , even in the suburbs , the prices can be much higher . For that price range , I would be looking at a nice apartment complex .

Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Lakewood and other East Dalla neighborhoods (Junius Heights, Swiss Ave Historic District, M Streets/ Greenland Hills, Hollywood Heights & Santa Monica) as well as North Oak Cliff (Winnetka Heights, Kessler Park, & Stevens Park) are all close-in historic charming neighborhoods built in the 1910-1940's and popular with young families who are like yourself. Very centrally located to all our Dallad museums (FW also has fabulous museums & parks), the Dallas zoo, the Dallas Arboretum, White Rock Lake, etc. All are pretty safe, but in-town city neighborhoods so you need to help prevent crime by locking your home & car, hiding valuables from sight in your car, etc.

Pepper131 and MacBeth both have kids and are active in East Dallas. Page them for more info.

Your budget is probably going to put a single family home out of reach (think $1500-2500/mo), but a duplex with shared yard should doable. Check Craig's List for zips 75206 / 75214/ 75223 for East Dallas and 75208 for North Oak Cliff.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I think your husband needs to figure how what he will be doing in the DFW area--
it is HUGE
if he really is going to need to go to ALL areas of DFW metroplex--from Garland to Haslet, from Burleson to Denton, from Mansfield to Keller
then he will probably want to live in central location like the hub of very large wheel...
that means more like Las Colinas/Grapevine area...
and in that central location there would be neighborhood parks but items like the zoo would be farther away...
While Lakewood may be great area for young couple--if my husband had to drive to the other side of FTW multiple days a month then I would not put Lakewood at top of my list of areas to rent in...
if he will be home-based and only need to travel 1 day a week or less, then he may be willing to make a longer commute on those days to live in area you and the kids are happy with...
BUT remember you are unlikely to find a house in your price range with a dedicated home office...
check realtor.com for rentals in zip codes mentioned and in other areas of DFW...
many, many areas are safe and have activities/amenities for young families but your price point to be INSIDE the Metroplex is kind of low IMO

almost every freeway/road system in DFW is under construction except the Bush Toll Rd--
traffic during rush hour is the pits and is busy/frustrating at other times... so I would not downplay the pain of a bad commute for even a few days a month...

Last edited by loves2read; 01-07-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 PM

393 posts, read 1,115,040 times
I can't help you much on your house-hunting, but I can tell you that lots of things happen in the DFW area. You could check out Meetup.com for ideas. I belong to several groups. It does seem that if you live over in the Arlington area, you will be closer to most things, than if you lived in a peripheral city like Plano or Frisco. That makes sense, because Arlington is sandwiched between Dallas and Fort Worth. I think that life is more laid back out here in Plano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas