U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 PM

250 posts, read 447,784 times

Advertisements

Hopefully everything works out well for the gal now that she is back in the states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM

2,487 posts, read 5,578,265 times
how old was this "child"? Yeah the government might have failed- but lets not put all our ducks in one boat here. The "child" didn't help with the process either....

funny thing is if this was in the news about her trying to get deported and was caught in the process the country would be in an uproar about how much this "child" cost us the taxpayers in all the red tape and investigation it took to find out she was a liar all along- but instead she got deported- we do not have all the facts in this case. I think the "child" knew exactly what she was doing and seen it as an escape to get away...or like I said before someone's crazy idea so they could cash in.

Something is fishy about this whole situation....and we should not rely on the media as they twist things so much just to make it a story.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,939,391 times
Plenty of blame to go around here. this teenager certainly made terrible choices, and lied to the police; however, had the police and INS done their jobs and simply checked her fingerprints, this would have all been avoided. Her bad act, while wrong and there should be penalties - does not excuse the incompetence of others. For example, the police surprisingly often get false confessions in criminal cases, this is why they are required to check the facts and assertions made in such confessions. Similarly if they had done their required checking of this young girl's story, they would have quickly learned the truth. Just as the person who makes a false confession can be charged with a minor offense, so should she, but we should not let the officials off the hook either.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:26 AM

828 posts, read 1,403,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Plenty of blame to go around here. this teenager certainly made terrible choices, and lied to the police; however, had the police and INS done their jobs and simply checked her fingerprints, this would have all been avoided. Her bad act, while wrong and there should be penalties - does not excuse the incompetence of others. For example, the police surprisingly often get false confessions in criminal cases, this is why they are required to check the facts and assertions made in such confessions. Similarly if they had done their required checking of this young girl's story, they would have quickly learned the truth. Just as the person who makes a false confession can be charged with a minor offense, so should she, but we should not let the officials off the hook either.
Checked her fingerprints? Hmmm They took her prints when she was arrested it was put in a database and nothing popped up. IF she had been arrested before they WOULD be on file, if not they WOULDN'T. Simple she told them who she was [her fake name] she had ID [fake] she told them she was Columbian [false statement] On that fact she was ID'd as that person [no other ID on her available] so they shipped her illegal butt back to her KNOWN home country based on the info they had. HOW is the Police supposed to check on who she really is if prints are not on file and SHE passes off false information. She may have been a minor BUT she stated and her ID stated she ws 21 yrs old. SHe lied and got shipped to a foriegn country [apparently it was what she wanted]

I feel SHE and her family shoud reimburse the Goverment for getting her back. Because of HER foolishness, SHE caused the goverment to waste OUR tax dollar bringing thei imp home

Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,939,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Checked her fingerprints? Hmmm They took her prints when she was arrested it was put in a database and nothing popped up.
Depends which nesstory you read. Others say they "failed to match them" to the correct woman's. Some of the earliest stories even had Immigration saying that her prints didn't match the prints of the woman to be deported, who must have been in the system if she was already tagged for deportation. Plenty of blame attaches to this young woman, and the idea of the family getting money out of this is nut, but clearly there is also blame elsewhere.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Checked her fingerprints? Hmmm They took her prints when she was arrested it was put in a database and nothing popped up. IF she had been arrested before they WOULD be on file, if not they WOULDN'T. Simple she told them who she was [her fake name] she had ID [fake] she told them she was Columbian [false statement] On that fact she was ID'd as that person [no other ID on her available] so they shipped her illegal butt back to her KNOWN home country based on the info they had. HOW is the Police supposed to check on who she really is if prints are not on file and SHE passes off false information. She may have been a minor BUT she stated and her ID stated she ws 21 yrs old. SHe lied and got shipped to a foriegn country [apparently it was what she wanted]

I feel SHE and her family shoud reimburse the Goverment for getting her back. Because of HER foolishness, SHE caused the goverment to waste OUR tax dollar bringing thei imp home

I with yeah BoxCar....sooo with yeah on this one. something is fishy.....

people are up in arms about America not deporting illegals- people are up in arms about America deporting illegals.....gee wiz people. She should be punished for all the problems she caused. Do you know how many illegals state that they are America's ? They should be punished- being American is a privilege not a right. And you are either born to that privilege or you work you a@@ off for that privilege to get legal.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM

662 posts, read 1,184,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
I with yeah BoxCar....sooo with yeah on this one. something is fishy.....

people are up in arms about America not deporting illegals- people are up in arms about America deporting illegals.....gee wiz people. She should be punished for all the problems she caused. Do you know how many illegals state that they are America's ? They should be punished- being American is a privilege not a right. And you are either born to that privilege or you work you a@@ off for that privilege to get legal.

First of all, she is a citizen, not an "illegal". Being born an American citizen is just a fact, not a "privilege". Privileges can be taken away. No matter the heinous crime an American commits, he or she will be jailed, or even executed, but will not have citizenship taken away.

The fact remains that our government shipped a child, by herself, to a foreign land. The fact that she herself showed poor judgment isn't the point. She is a minor. My 15 year old child is a freshman in high school. He certainly isn't equipped to move off by himself to a foreign land. There are a lot of very immature high school freshman out there. I should know. I taught them for many years.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM

828 posts, read 1,403,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
First of all, she is a citizen, not an "illegal". Being born an American citizen is just a fact, not a "privilege". Privileges can be taken away. No matter the heinous crime an American commits, he or she will be jailed, or even executed, but will not have citizenship taken away.

The fact remains that our government shipped a child, by herself, to a foreign land. The fact that she herself showed poor judgment isn't the point. She is a minor. My 15 year old child is a freshman in high school. He certainly isn't equipped to move off by himself to a foreign land. There are a lot of very immature high school freshman out there. I should know. I taught them for many years.
YES they shipped a child, BUT she LIED and had FALSE documents to back up her LIES. so they shipped her sorry butt out to where SHE SAID she was from!!! She NEVER said to the US OR Columbian authorities her REAL name OR WHERE she came from!!! You don't give a false name and tell someone you're from a different country and expect NOT to be deported. Yo9u MIGHT want to teach MORE 15 year olds NOT to LIE to immigration officials and pass on fake ID's!!

Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post

never said she wasn't a citizen--- DID YOU READ MY POST--- quess not.
And it is a "privilege" to be a America Citizen. It's also a privilege of my and yours- First Amendment right to FREE Speech.

Yes the deportation process failed on some level- but the "child" didn't help with they fact that she lied her pants off the entire process. If there was nothing but her word and the governments right to deport then I don't see why they should be punished. She "claimed" all along she was an adult all along. It's her word against what??- how could they prove her date of birth- looking at her teeth? It's her word- SHE gave false information time after time again. Deportation is a process with plenty of time to cough up your lie before you get sent away.

See quote below = (again Median outlet)

"Houston police said in a statement that her name was run through a database to determine if she was wanted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement but the results were negative. She was then turned over to the Harris County jail and booked on the theft charge.

The county sheriff's office said it ran her through the available databases and did the interviews necessary to establish her identity and immigration status in the country, with negative results. A sheriff's office employee recommended that an immigration detainer be put on her, and upon her release from jail she was turned over to ICE.

U.S. immigration officials insist they followed procedure and found nothing to indicate that the girl wasn't a Colombian woman living illegally in the country.

An ICE official said the teen claimed to be Cortez throughout the criminal proceedings in Houston and the ensuing deportation process, in which an immigration judge ultimately ordered her back to Colombia.

Standard procedure before any deportation is to coordinate with the other country in order to establish that person is from there, the ICE official said.

The ICE official, speaking on condition of anonymity due to not being authorized to discuss additional details of the case, said the teenager was interviewed by a representative from the Colombian consulate and that country's government issued her a travel document to enter Colombia.

Jakadrien was issued travel documents at the request of U.S. officials using information they provided, the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. Colombian officials are investigating what kind of verification was conducted by its Houston consulate to issue the temporary passport.

The girl was given Colombian citizenship upon arriving in that country, the ICE official said.

According to the Colombian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the girl was enrolled in the country's "Welcome Home" program after she arrived there. She was given shelter, psychological assistance and a job at a call center, a statement from the agency said."

Now that entire process above- us American tax payers paid for. THAT My friend should make u mad! A waste- then her family sue for millions.....PRICELESS

Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM

288 posts, read 398,051 times
I think an article in the Dallas Morning News summed it up well. This is one of those movie moments from "A TIME TO KILL", when the lawyer would probably say about this case,

"Think about a 14 year old girl who ran away from home and ended up in a foreign country. Though she wasn't truthful, think about a young female at the mercy of adults in a land she knew nothing about.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-12-2012 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or