U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 AM

2,684 posts, read 4,248,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The OP also needs to keep in mind that McKinney is far from almost everything and would stink, commute-wise, to most areas of DFW. There's also the 75 expansion to contend with in the coming years; it's going to be a real mess up there.
I'm in the medical field.......and one of the rules in my life is that I never live more than 5 miles from work. I can go anywhere there's a hospital or clinic, which there have to be legions of in that metroplex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:16 AM

1,165 posts, read 2,004,139 times
Quote:
The OP also needs to keep in mind that McKinney is far from almost everything and would stink, commute-wise, to most areas of DFW. There's also the 75 expansion to contend with in the coming years; it's going to be a real mess up there.

Mc Kinney is not far from everything.The expansion of 121 and 75 that was recently started has come along very quickly.That road area is night and day from 5 years ago.Mc Kinney is a far commute is you are driving past North Dallas.The city of Mckinney is about 130,000 people and growing.The neighboring areas of Allen ,Frisco ,Prosper and Fairview have populations of roughly...

Mc Kinney-130,000

Allen- 88,000

Frisco -125,000

Prosper - 12,000

Fairview - 8,000

That is almost 400,000 people.I did not even include nearby Plano ( pop.about 290,00).There is a CVS,Starbucks or Tom Thumb on every few blocks.Mc Kinney itself has Traget,Walmart and manty other neccesity stores.Everything else you need is within 10 minutes.The majority of people we know live in Mc Kinney ,Prosper and Frisco and commute no more than 30 minutes at a time to get to work.The difference in suburbs here verse other places are many are home to huge corporations and other professional jobs.The people in our neighborhood work in the finance,law ,education and medical fields.No one travels to Dallas for work.My spouse and myself ( finance and Medical ) work within 15 minutes of the Prosper/Mc Kinney area.There are about 8 hospitals located within minutes from many Mc Kinney neighborhoods. Baylor Mc Kinney is a state of the art facility opening in June of 2012...

Downtown Mc Kinney is a fantastic area with unique shops

Welcome to McKinney Main Street (http://www.mckinneytexas.org/mainstreetdefault.aspx - broken link)

Stonebriar Mall and the Shops at Allen/Fairview are within a 10 minute drive for Mc Kinney residents and offer pretty much anything you can think of.Whole Foods,Splitsville bowling,Gold class cinema and countless eateries including the best dog park I have ever been to ....

http://www.thevillageshopping.com/index.html

http://www.shopstonebriar.com/

There is a great outlet mall in Allen and a tremendous mall in Frisco with stores like Norstrom,Apple and Pottery Barn.Watters Creek in Allen offers an outdoor shopping experience with more stores and eateries.Preston Rd in Frisco has virtually every store you can think of. There is a major amount of building going on near Mc Kinney with plans for more retail in the appropriate spots along a main road ,University Drive.

Last edited by CREW747; 01-07-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM

These are all pretty nice inside under $200,000. Also remember that most subdivisions down here have very reasonable hoa fees between ( $200- $1000 a year ) and offer amenities like swimming pools,community get togethers and tennis....

5308 Summit View Dr Mc Kinney TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11685595 - Realtor.com®

2508 Ariel Cv Mckinney TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11682722 - Realtor.com®

408 Byron Nelson Dr Mckinney TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11686492 - Realtor.com®

1716 Cross Point Rd McKinney TX - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #11697411 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2012 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: edited link to realtor.com listing

Old 01-07-2012, 10:29 AM

5,774 posts, read 6,665,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Thanks all who have replied so far. If we did move there, our price range would be up to $200,000. I was going to post an example of the homes that are blowing our doors off, but I'm pretty sure that's not allowed on CD......anyway, this one was in McKinney.....on a golf course......4 BR, 2 1/2 bath, nearly 3,000 sq. ft.......and had these towering windows & ceilings.......double tierd granite counters in the kitchen, incredible bathroom with jacuzzi tub....it wasn't a new home, but it sure looked like it inside. A house like this would probably be at least $300,000 where I live, probably more, and it's listed for $185,000. Wow.
They are rare, but they are out there as deals to be had. Even the homes E. of 75 on the golf course are REALLY nice. More of cookie cutter big builder homes, but they are indeed nice and of course on the golf course.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
I'm in the medical field.......and one of the rules in my life is that I never live more than 5 miles from work. I can go anywhere there's a hospital or clinic, which there have to be legions of in that metroplex.
In McKinney there are two new hospitals (one built and one being built) both of which are near very nice areas and between McKinney's 3 courses.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Yes, what you've seen is true. I live in McKinney after moving from FL. In FL, in 2007, an 1800 sqft house I was looking at buying went for $280k. Here, I got a house literally twice the size for $250k.

The homes you see for $150k will be about 2000-2500 sq ft, although some better deals can be found out there. Here's one just down the street from me,

Moderator cut: only realtor.com

Texas has more bang for the buck when it comes to home prices than any other place I've ever lived. The downside of that is though, that home prices do not appreciate like you may be used to. Slow, steady growth is usually the name of the game around here, so keep that in mind if you plan on moving frequently.

The new homes being built in your area(Silver Oak Estates), are going to start in the $170's-$240's and go from 1600-3000 sq ft.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-07-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 AM

Northman,I just saw that you are in the medical field.Baylor Mc Kinney is opening June 2012. My spouse works out of Baylor Frisco. There are many hospitals and medical facilities close to the Mc Kinney area.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM

27,597 posts, read 45,056,792 times
I too watch House Hunters--and I know that the OP is referring to
I can't belive what some people are considering paying for an older dump of a house in PA or Washington state, or California
most of those homes that are under 600K are the PITS--horrible, old, maybe even just 1 bathroom for everyone...
but that is what market pricing is all about

if you have flexibility with your work location (like working out of the home) or think you can find a job relative close to where you want to live, then you can find some homes/neighborhoods that ARE much better deals than what other states/towns have to offer...

that being said--it might not be as easy to find a job in medical field as you seem to think--
many hospitals here are having to cut back--
people have lost their work-related insurance with job layoffs and TX medicare is the pits

almost any town in DFW area has something positive==
it is really about finding the MOST positive factors tied to a relative inexpensive home/neighborhood...

home taxes support local schools--so I don't know that you want to find the cheapest tax rate you can get--because that could have negatives associated with it that you don't initially register--

it is all relative--
for some people 300K is way above their house ceiling--they are looking for something "good" around 110K--that is where quality really starts to suffer IMO--under 125K homes--
most builders will build on spec homes only the minimum code requirements--
if you buy a home in development that is "COUNTY" vs "CITY" code--you can bet it has fewer guidelines to adhere to...county code is always more lax than city code and some cities are more lax than others...

being in a "crackerbox" neighborhood in a less expensive house is not what I consider a "good buy" experience/decision--but there are some people who don't have other choices because of their monetary situation...so you have to make the best of what you can do...

Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
More of the McKinney hate...except for work, McKinney which some people work in Dallas/Plano, etc. most of McKinney don't have to leave the city to get what they need and is in now way far from "almost everything". That is a plain and simple misnomer.

Is there expansion going on? Of course, that's one of the best things about McKinney. They have an actual development plan and while it's sometimes inconvenient it's a clear and well laid out plan to make McKinney better with it's busting at the seams population increase(s) w/out putting off until there is no other solution like some areas South that consider themselves "superior".

Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM

2,684 posts, read 4,248,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I too watch House Hunters--and I know that the OP is referring to
I can't belive what some people are considering paying for an older dump of a house in PA or Washington state, or California
most of those homes that are under 600K are the PITS--horrible, old, maybe even just 1 bathroom for everyone...
but that is what market pricing is all about
Exactly what we've been thinking. We both love the Seattle area, but the housing costs out there are absolutely laughable. Matter of fact, the other day House Hunters had an episode where this couple was from Texas - Dallas, if I remember correctly - and wanting to move to Seattle. They see the first couple houses and are absolutely horrified at the size and condition of these places that are running 250-300 grand, especially in comparison to what they have back in TX. They end up settling for this place that they had to literally cram themselves and their furniture into.....and I mean, it was a real dump. My wife and I were just shaking our heads. WA state is beautiful, but unless you plan on being outdoors more than in your own home .......ya know? I guess for some folks location really is everything.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: repaired quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or