U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:03 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,003,222 times

Advertisements

Txgolfer130,I agree.The "far flung" suburb comment is becoming a thing of the past.Far flung from what? Dallas? Unlike living in the metroplex say 15 years ago,most people living in Allen,Prosper,Frisco and Fairview eiher travel to North Dallas for work or rarely go there at all.There is every eatery and retail store possible in northern Collin County.Even with everything already here,there will still be more options to come.The Allen/Fairview shopping and the frisco shopping is all I could ask for.
If Prosper never put anything else in but houses I would be ine with that.That will not be he case though.Retail is planned and in motion for University drive.We were thrilled when the Costco on Eldorado pkwy opened. It takes me 5 minutes to get there...

We are a family in our thirties wih 2 young children and know many other families in our area.None of them have any desire for quick Dallas access.No disrespect to Dallas.People just need to realize that not everyone works in Dallas or needs to go there on a regular basis.Unlike other suburban cities and towns,many people can live in the suburbs and work in the suburbs in the dfw metroplex.

There is no point in bringing up the DISD vs suburbs school debate.Why in the world would I buy a $300,000 house in Dallas and pay a high property tax rate when I will not be utilizing the public schools I pay for? Why not move to a lower crime suburb with a lower property tax rate where I can utilize the great public schools...and be close to where I work.This is the situation for countless professionals moving here with families.Of course the bonus of either buying or building a new house that is energy effiecient with upates is a huge extra incentive.

When we travel somewhere further outside Prosper,it still is not to Dallas.Southlake to see family,Gaylord Texan or dfw airport is where we usually go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM

2,684 posts, read 4,244,749 times
oh....and we don't actually need to be on a golf course...I had just mentioned that particular listing as an example because I always thought golf course homes were more expensive, and here was this amazing place on a golf course for under $200K.

I should also mention that I have lived in Texas previously, for 7 years. We moved from MI to the Houston area in 1980, and I attended middle and high school down there. Even then Texas was exploding with opportunity and affordability.......and my dad loved the warm weather, although the rest of us missed the snow at Christmas badly.

Anyway, I never thought I would seriously consider going back there, but here I am today, married, with 2 kids and one more on the way, and I've reached a point in my life and career where I want to give my family the very best of everything we can afford. We're not currently living in a shack or anything like that, but I have worked hard to get to where I am and I feel I should be able to get the most out of that. This thinking is what moved me to start this thread. I don't think I'd go back to Houston, because I wouldn't want to go somewhere I'd been before.....I'd want a totally new and exciting experience. DFW is one of the great metro areas in the U.S.......it's definitely fun to consider.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,128,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
The new homes being built in your area(Silver Oak Estates), are going to start in the $170's-$240's and go from 1600-3000 sq ft.
Yep, that is just up the street. So far, from the info posted on their website, none of us that live around here are happy about it. My neighborhood probably has an average home size of 32-3300 sq ft and median price of around 250k. On the other side of the street that winds through the community, homes size averages 4000sq ft and pricing averages about $375k. Then you have the vacant acreage where these new homes are being built, and then next to that, you have homes with an average size of 4500sq ft and avg price being around $500k. Across from that, you have 500k to 1mil.

That subdivision was originally slated to have homes in the $400k range, and in size from 3500-4000 sq ft or so. If Beazer builds a bunch of tiny little 1600 sqft homes, that's going to hurt the values of the area. I can't imagine they would do that, but we'll see how it plays out.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,603,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post

There is no point in bringing up the DISD vs suburbs school debate.Why in the world would I buy a $300,000 house in Dallas and pay a high property tax rate when I will not be utilizing the public schools I pay for? Why not move to a lower crime suburb with a lower property tax rate where I can utilize the great public schools...and be close to where I work.This is the situation for countless professionals moving here with families.Of course the bonus of either buying or building a new house that is energy effiecient with upates is a huge extra incentive.
For the record, Dallas does have excellent magnet schools from the lower to upper school level.

You child does have to test in but TAG has been considered one of the best schools in the nation for years.

Also if you delve deep into DISD test scores white students in the district tend to out perform their latin and black counterparts. This all needs to be taken into account when comparing DISD to suburban schools, when you sort through the fluff there may be a slight improvement in scores (from the non-magnets) but not an improvement that is worth the additional commute or home costs.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 AM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
Find the job first. No sense in looking over an area miles wide and hours to cross.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:00 PM

27,573 posts, read 45,018,330 times
agree--until you know where you are going to work investigating areas is pointless unless you will only work in specific area
there are many positive to area like McKinney--
it has lovely historical downtown for one thing which is something Grapevine gets lot of praise for as suburb of Dallas/FTW and rarely draws positive comments about when people mention McKinney

I would say find the hospital that has the strongest financial bottom line and best work environment for YOU--that means in your field--
some hospital chains are better at one or two aspects of medicine than all of them
going to one that is not well-regarded in your field could wind up biting you in the behind...
and not everyone is happy with where they work
I would do more investigation on medical job forums and see if I could find out inside info about how some employees really feel about their work environment--
and choose the job sites you think offer best employment situation for you and go from there

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM

670 posts, read 2,675,666 times
I agree find the job first. There are so many options as far as areas to live in Dallas proper and Collin and/or Denton Counties that IMO you'd be foolish to not rent at least 6 months after finding a job to be sure that's where you want to be.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 4,244,749 times
As with the golf course thing, I never meant to imply McKinney was the area we had targeted. That just happened to be one of a few areas we were looking at online around the DFW area, and one of the houses I saw there really did a number on me, so that was the one I mentioned. This is something we're exploring, and absolutely nothing is set in stone. Everyone is totally right when they suggest the job would determine everything else, and I wouldn't approach it any other way.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:17 PM

3,467 posts, read 6,821,324 times
I can't believe there are people on here talking as if a 150-200k home is borderline lol, 150k wil get you a nice home in a nice area. the reason homes are cheaper in the suburbs is because land is cheap. Intercity always tend to be built out thus making the land more expensive, it't all about supply and demand. Moderator cut: rude personal attack

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-07-2012 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 PM

62 posts, read 183,445 times
OP, I'm in the medical field and live in Frisco, TX...the house prices are good and the schools are great. My kids are in elementary and the schools in our area are all rated "exemplary" by the State of Texas. Many people say the cities in Collin County (Frisco, Allen, McKinney, etc...) are "far out" but remember it's all relative. There's everything here from restaurants, sports, shopping, etc...in fact my husband and I force ourselves to drive to Dallas to go out for dinner or dancing just b/c we want to experience more culture and not just get stuck in Frisco. You literally could get stuck though b/c everything is here. As a family, we appreciate art, music, and the other aspects of true city living so we do make it a point to go to Dallas and downtown Fort Worth. I do know many people that live here in Frisco that have NEVER even been to Dallas and have no desire to visit~I couldn't imagine moving to a place with a major city and never visit, but to each his own. Personally, when I'm done with graduate school we plan to relocate to either Southlake, Park Cities, or possibly W. Plano b/c we like areas that are high-end but mature at the same time IMO that is lacking in the northern 'burbs. In our case our first home (in another state) was big, beautiful, and well priced; however, it was in a new neighborhood and after a few years the neighborhood changed and wasn't what we'd bargained for. For that reason I prefer "established luxury" (I made that up lol) and I don't feel that's a quality present where I am not, again this is a personal opinion. With all of that said, I say go for it b/c there's so much to choose from in the DFW area, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. I certainly plan to stay here, raise my family, and live my version of the American dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or