Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
....you've got to be kidding me!!!!!!...Nobody is complaining about the money it took anymore(that was at least two years ago!!).When people see this thing lit up at night the focus will not be on how much water is running under it trust me.Your mix emotions are coming from your brain having a hard time grasping something to bash. Get over it Dallas is doing everything it needs to do to become a more interesting city....For some odd reason you Hate that...why?...No one will ever know. But I do know that The face of Dallas is changing for the good. Its so refreshing and impressive to see how all of the things that Dallas has planned for the last 12 years is coming to fruition.Dallas is really turning into the city it set out to be...And people hate that...I love it.

Notable districts created since 2000

*West Village
*Harwood International
*Victory park
*AT&T Performing Arts Center-Arts District
*Lower Oaklawn-Design District

Notable single developments built since 2000

*Magaret Hunt Hill Bridge
*Trinity Audubon center(did i spell that right?)
*Latino Cultural Center
*American Airlines Center
*Hunt Tower
*The Merc
*NorthPark Expansion-Yes it counts.That Mall has Totally changed!
*Convention Center Hotel-UNTOUCHABLE!!!
*Woodall Rodgers Deck park-Game changer
*Museum Tower-
*Museum of Nature & Science-NOTHING like it in Texas
*The creation of the Green Line
*The creation of the Orange line-TO DFW AIRPORT!!!!!!!!!
*Parkland Hospital-Largest in the world.
*Trinity Lakes...oops!!...not quite

Dallas is on its way to play with the Big boys....oh and the other two bridges over the "Ditch" are now also fully funded. Metro Matt you can start two brand new threads complaining about what we should've done with the money instead(the bridges will still be built)....See...Now you have TWO new bridges to freshly start hating.
Its putting the cart before the horse.

I don't care if the thing has laser lights shooting off of it at night the thought of a bridge like this with no water underneath would bring a WTF out of most rational people.

Cool idea, poorly executed plan IMO.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Dallas haters are going to hate regardless this bridge is beautiful...Perfectly executed plan by Big D.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM

6,689 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its putting the cart before the horse.

I don't care if the thing has laser lights shooting off of it at night the thought of a bridge like this with no water underneath would bring a WTF out of most rational people.

Cool idea, poorly executed plan IMO.
It doesn't matter we are gonna get lakes under the bridge. You are negative all the time at least you can be positive for one day.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 PM

Here's the lighting ceremony on NBC 5 news

The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge Now Bathed in Light | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Here's another one from News 8

http://www.wfaa.com/video?id=137068078&sec=553117

Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 PM

Taken by commerce

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7167/6...80776a0e_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/6...b80070a9_b.jpg

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-11-2012 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: copyrighted photos - post links only

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Don't worry there will be water under it in the spring...

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Just spectacular! I for one am glad this is nearing completion - it's a great visual reminder of more great things to come, from what I've read.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Don't worry there will be water under it in the spring...
Is it because the river will flood?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
The flood plain is pretty full right now after the rain the last couple of days. To address some comments. The levees are protecting Dallas right now. The Army Corps did a study that included core samples and concluded that the silt being from upstream as well as sand used in the initial construction would sink with new construction, so the tollway or anything else couldn't be built until it was corrected. They were then to recommend a way to rebuild and recommend monies to be allocated. Before people cry about tax money, we're talking about something that's in place to keep all of the innercity areas from becoming a shallow lake. There are also huge insurance implications. For whatever reason the Army Corps stopped short of a recommendation. This is the way I understand the situation from following it on Dallasmetropolis. I imagine there are political ranglings because of the Tollway that are part of the delay. The same tollway that caused delays on the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge and Project Pegasus because it was claimed neither could be built without the consideration of the tollway's design. So the MHH bridge had to be redesigned to go over the levees and to have room for possible future tollway clearance and ramps. This took away time and money and caused the suspension element to span less of the bridge. So for those wondering, yes, the bridge is truly cable supported, but not for the entire span thanks to a redesign from the original span. Not to mention TxDOT got tired of delays and will start on the horseshoe project(Formerly part of Project Pegasus), which is the complete rebuilt of the I-30 and I-35E spans as well as their connecting interchange known as the downtown mixmaster. The I-30 part will also have signature elements. The new documents show two large arches running the length of the span holding up the frontage/pedestrian bridges on the sides. Its preliminary, but they are technical documents. We'll know by the time they start this time next year.

As for whether a bridge needs to be designed to span a "more significant body of water", that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read or heard. Bridges are built to span, not to span over water. There are more spectacular and elegant structures that span all kinds of things, including city blocks, gorges, valleys, small streams, swamp land and even neighborhoods. I'm guessing the same will be said when the I-30 signature elements are revealed?

Last edited by rantanamo; 01-11-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It doesn't matter we are gonna get lakes under the bridge. You are negative all the time at least you can be positive for one day.
Pshh...miniature lakes/ponds & dried up creek beds lol

Go down to the Texas Gulf Coast if you wanna see some functional bridges that look good too.

MHHB is nice, but too over the top for Dallas IMO. Then again Dallas is known for building tacky stuff so it kinda goes with the attitude of the city.

The D/FW metro is the largest land locked metro in the US meaning there are no significant bodies of water found for hundreds of miles. I've never been much of a fan for lakes anyways. There are very few lakes I would actually swim in.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-11-2012 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas