U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM

5,270 posts, read 7,199,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Light View Post
That's not Dallas

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM

31 posts, read 64,241 times
Let me tell you what is puzzling. Seeing a bridge of this magnitude and style spanning a glorified drainage ditch leading from downtown Dallas to a blighted area of town full of warehouses. Talk about your bridge to nowhere. Dallas' priorities have almost always been out of whack. They should have been all along building lakes and parks on this joke of a river (but it is all Dallas has had) then built a bridge. Apparently the bridge was built to get people's mind off of the other.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
^ why does this bother you so?

As of now, we have a lake. It takes a bridge to cross this, no?

Photo by Justin Terveen (with permission)

The old Continental Bridge on the left will be turned into a linear park http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...tal_bridge.php ala The High Line in NYC.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,669,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTx View Post
Let me tell you what is puzzling. Seeing a bridge of this magnitude and style spanning a glorified drainage ditch leading from downtown Dallas to a blighted area of town full of warehouses. Talk about your bridge to nowhere. Dallas' priorities have almost always been out of whack. They should have been all along building lakes and parks on this joke of a river (but it is all Dallas has had) then built a bridge. Apparently the bridge was built to get people's mind off of the other.
...Or maybe to jumpstart the other development you mention (and from what little I've read so far seems to be the plan)? I agree that on its face, building this magnitude of a bridge over what the Trinity R. usually is 95% of the time, and to what it currently leads to, doesn't make much sense. But this is just the first part of a grander development plan, if I understand things correctly.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:43 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,514,113 times
Quote:
The bridge will also serve a practical use while the lakes are just for looks and recreation. Maybe they thought providing some relief to Downtown traffic was more important than giving you another lake to look at. Ever think of that?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:26 PM

967 posts, read 1,556,123 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
^ why does this bother you so?

As of now, we have a lake. It takes a bridge to cross this, no?

Photo by Justin Terveen (with permission)

The old Continental Bridge on the left will be turned into a linear park http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...tal_bridge.php ala The High Line in NYC.

It's NOT a lake at the moment. It's a river in flood stage. Can I have some of whatever you're smoking? The Linear park idea is great and will be beneficial to that area.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Well it will be a lake some day! Whatsthematter no date this weekend?

Also the bridge does serve a practical purpose beyond getting from one side of the river to the other - it's an extension of Woodall Rodgers Freeway. And the I-30 and I-35 bridges must be torn down and rebuilt by TXDOT mandate. This bridge will relieve traffic during that construction and serve as a detour.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
First of all it's illegal to put raw sewage in a waterway (that's why we have the EPA) and secondly, the majority of the people in Dallas would have died because of the deadly diseases carried in the water. If you live in the Dallas you are more than likely drinking water straight from the Trinity River. Lake Ray Hubbard's source (including many other lakes and reservoirs) of water is from the good ole Trinity.

The Trinity River is controlled by dams. Before it was controlled the river flooded so often that they had no choice but to move the river from the city center and built 50 plus ft levees, floodplains, and pump stations. They moved more dirt to build the floodplain than to build the Panama Canal. They also built dams to help control flooding even more. (These dams also created large lakes around the Metroplex) If the Trinity River rain freely it would have more water and would cause catastrophic damage due to the frequent flooding of the river. So that's why our river is smaller than the average river.
Looks like we can take a bubble bath in the Trinity River now...

Rainwaters overflow chemical containment ponds in Waxahachie | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-27-2012 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or