Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
I find it hard to believe that, Dallas, has no say in what buildings are being erected in its city, even if, they have no actual hands in the buildings design. Also, if people didn't care about what other cities built, how they governed, or how their respective economies were functioning, I don't believe a site like C-D would exist....so folks do care.
Why would citizens have a say to what's built in Dallas? I can see if the city is building it but a developer built the skyscrapers in Downtown, not the city. The city only approves the projects for construction but they don't have enough power to say how the building is designed.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:20 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Light View Post
Still doesn't change the fact the the ditchbridge is a ridiculous eyesore. I wouldn't expect that it is going to deliver Dallas to the promised land anytime soon. Few opinions of Dallas will be changed by the ditchbridge.

BTW, I live in Dallas - went to the Houston Texans thread to wish them luck and saw nothing but Cowboy fans trolling - so I thought I'd join the fun. I hate the Cowboys because they are a constant disappointment.

Houston will be just fine with an ugly pointless bridge 1 mile from downtown Dallas.

To be honest, I don't really prefer either city over the other. Moderator cut: language You guys can't handle the fact that no one in the world is much interested in buildings with out of season christmas lights blinking on them all year. People in Houston don't seem to care what anyone thinks of them. They are what they are. Good-Bad-Whatever. It's the world's problem. Not theirs. Dallas tries too hard and fails too often.

Dallas looks kind of like a boring version of suburban Las Vegas only without the fun.
lol, yes. Cowboy fans were trolling on a thread where the entire OP was a deliberate attack on Dallas. Nice spin!

Your opinion is well noted, as well is the fact that in your short posting history you've done nothing to hide the fact that you're a biased Dallas-hating Houston native, regardless of where you currently reside. Deliver Dallas to the promise land? What does that even mean? And since when is building and updating infrastructure pointless? The bridge isn't for everybody, but it's hardly the fiasco your post makes it out to be. For better or worse, it's Dallas. It's a nice looking landmark, and it's already built so worrying about the money it took is a moot point by now. My prediction is one day it will be a great piece in the overall Trinity River project. I don't know how old you are, but that will certainly be in my lifetime.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-14-2012 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I officially acknowledge that there is a ditch containing smelly raw sewage running under the bridge. I wouldn't hold my breath that there will ever be a lake under the ditchbridge within the lifetime of anyone posting at city-data.

Pooooooooooooooooor Dallas.
First of all it's illegal to put raw sewage in a waterway (that's why we have the EPA) and secondly, the majority of the people in Dallas would have died because of the deadly diseases carried in the water. If you live in the Dallas you are more than likely drinking water straight from the Trinity River. Lake Ray Hubbard's source (including many other lakes and reservoirs) of water is from the good ole Trinity.

The Trinity River is controlled by dams. Before it was controlled the river flooded so often that they had no choice but to move the river from the city center and built 50 plus ft levees, floodplains, and pump stations. They moved more dirt to build the floodplain than to build the Panama Canal. They also built dams to help control flooding even more. (These dams also created large lakes around the Metroplex) If the Trinity River rain freely it would have more water and would cause catastrophic damage due to the frequent flooding of the river. So that's why our river is smaller than the average river.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
lol, yes. Cowboy fans were trolling on a thread where the entire OP was a deliberate attack on Dallas. Nice spin!

Your opinion is well noted, as well is the fact that in your short posting history you've done nothing to hide the fact that you're a biased Dallas-hating Houston native, regardless of where you currently reside. Deliver Dallas to the promise land? What does that even mean? And since when is building and updating infrastructure pointless? The bridge isn't for everybody, but it's hardly the fiasco your post makes it out to be. For better or worse, it's Dallas. It's a nice looking landmark, and it's already built so worrying about the money it took is a moot point by now. My prediction is one day it will be a great piece in the overall Trinity River project. I don't know how old you are, but that will certainly be in my lifetime.
It will surely be in mine's too.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 14,650 times
I'm still confused about what I'm supposed to do once I cross that bridge. All I see is junk yards, metal shops, 6-car car lots, warehouses, etc...........talk about dressing up a turd.....

The really sad part is that NOBODY outside DFW is impressed by this silly white giant stringy di!do.

Last edited by Blue Light; 01-16-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
First of all it's illegal to put raw sewage in a waterway (that's why we have the EPA) and secondly, the majority of the people in Dallas would have died because of the deadly diseases carried in the water. If you live in the Dallas you are more than likely drinking water straight from the Trinity River. Lake Ray Hubbard's source (including many other lakes and reservoirs) of water is from the good ole Trinity.

The Trinity River is controlled by dams. Before it was controlled the river flooded so often that they had no choice but to move the river from the city center and built 50 plus ft levees, floodplains, and pump stations. They moved more dirt to build the floodplain than to build the Panama Canal. They also built dams to help control flooding even more. (These dams also created large lakes around the Metroplex) If the Trinity River rain freely it would have more water and would cause catastrophic damage due to the frequent flooding of the river. So that's why our river is smaller than the average river.
I double dare you to go swimming in the Trinity Sewer or drink it. Go on, show me how great the water is. Moderator cut: language

Old 01-16-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
You are calling it a sewer but you are getting water from it? Do you think water magically comes out of your faucet? Half of Texas gets their water from the Trinity River too. You are spewing ignorance from your mouth and it's getting very annoying.
I admit, you DO sound as if you've been drinking that sewer water. No one is more annoying than 'people' that live on city-data. My God if you got off your computer and actually went outside you'd see that the Trinity Sewer is not fit for human contact.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Drink up Dallas.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-EWZwLHXUDR...ver+Litter.jpg

Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I admit, you DO sound as if you've been drinking that sewer water. No one is more annoying than 'people' that live on city-data. My God if you got off your computer and actually went outside you'd see that the Trinity Sewer is not fit for human contact.

View of the Trinity River in Fort Worth as seen from my condo - YouTube

Trinity River Skiing .MOV - YouTube

Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Read this

KERA 'Thirsty' Series: From the Trinity to our Tap | KERA News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas