U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM

50 posts, read 49,358 times
Default Decision Lake Highlands / Lakewood

I know there are many threads about this but I'm still up in the air about it. We are looking to sell our condo behind the pink wall and purchase a house. We are having a hard time where to go... maybe some feed back could help.

I like the Lakewood area... older homes.. character.. neighborhood feel, but I like the square footage vs price in Lake Highlands. We have owned several houses over the years and looking to settle for the long haul.. We have heard nothing but good things about both just undecided. There is a little time before we have to make this decision... just never know how soon a condo will sell hopefully sooner than later.....

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

104 posts, read 127,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz003 View Post
I know there are many threads about this but I'm still up in the air about it. We are looking to sell our condo behind the pink wall and purchase a house. We are having a hard time where to go... maybe some feed back could help.

I like the Lakewood area... older homes.. character.. neighborhood feel, but I like the square footage vs price in Lake Highlands. We have owned several houses over the years and looking to settle for the long haul.. We have heard nothing but good things about both just undecided. There is a little time before we have to make this decision... just never know how soon a condo will sell hopefully sooner than later.....

Thanks in advance
I sold my Condo behind the pink wall, and then moved to Lake Highlands, because I was spending a lot of time at Presby! I found the price per square foot, to be very reasonable, some questions are where do you work? and do you have school age kids? we moved from Lake Highlands because my wife's practice is in Tarrant county, and the commute was killing her.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:07 AM

7,897 posts, read 9,935,416 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm partial to Lakewood (true Lakewood "proper", east of Abrams to the lake) because of the natural terrain (lake,woods, creeks, winding streets) and the fact that it's so closed off from "thru" traffic - not one stoplight from Mockingbird south to Gaston, east of Abrams! I also would enjoy being closer to Henderson and Greenville Aves, as well as Lakewood Village for dining & entertainment. There's definitely less to choose from in Lake Highlands and it's more chain-oriented. But it's just going to come down to a personal decision about what YOU want and value.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM

846 posts, read 889,715 times
Lakewood 100 percent....

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grieves View Post
I sold my Condo behind the pink wall, and then moved to Lake Highlands, because I was spending a lot of time at Presby! I found the price per square foot, to be very reasonable, some questions are where do you work? and do you have school age kids? we moved from Lake Highlands because my wife's practice is in Tarrant county, and the commute was killing her.
The wife works in the Lakewood area and I'm close to DFW airport. Right now my daughter attends Franklin (which I really don't like) and we are looking to have another one so schools do play into our decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'm partial to Lakewood (true Lakewood "proper", east of Abrams to the lake) because of the natural terrain (lake,woods, creeks, winding streets) and the fact that it's so closed off from "thru" traffic - not one stoplight from Mockingbird south to Gaston, east of Abrams! I also would enjoy being closer to Henderson and Greenville Aves, as well as Lakewood Village for dining & entertainment. There's definitely less to choose from in Lake Highlands and it's more chain-oriented. But it's just going to come down to a personal decision about what YOU want and value.
Thats what I really like about Lakewood...

Well I have to sell my condo first (its on the market right now ).... so I have some time to think about this....

Last edited by ramz003; 01-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 AM

5,393 posts, read 5,413,991 times
Question from a prospective new area resident.... What is the Pink Wall?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Question from a prospective new area resident.... What is the Pink Wall?
The area of Northwest Highway and Preston, known as "behind the pink wall," is a charming pocket of 1950s condominiums infamous for their extremely large rooms, wonderful closet space and glorious huge oak trees.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM

15,920 posts, read 24,433,255 times
Lakewood and East Dallas have been appreciating better in the long run and have had double-digit increases in the last two reports.

J. L. Long is a candidate school for IB MYP and is now offering the curriculum. They added Mandarin Chinese this year. Long kids have done especially well in science and math competitions and it's a great school for athletics and performing arts, especially choir and musical theater - feeds into the renowned Woodrow performing arts program.

The atmosphere in Lakewood is small-town congeniality vs. North Dallas everybody for himself.. LH also has some of that but not as much IMO.

Re IB, Woodrow takes transfers through application but you are assured a shot by living in the attendance zone - see: http://www.relaybuilder.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=jPa8Hn%2BsfIg%3D&tabid=6 385 (broken link)

A couple of years ago the LHHS principal called the WWHS principal about how to get IB. He then left LHHS, so I have no idea if they are pursuing it - it took us (WW) about three years from decision to accreditation.

Woodrow offers:

Academy of International Baccalaureate (IB Diplomas earn 24 college credit hours in Texas)
Academy of Business, Entrepreneurship and Finance (BEF)
Academy of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
Academy of Performing Arts

STEM and BEF are National Academy Foundation (NAF) academies. Plans are to offer the IB Career-Related Certificate (IBCC) for those completing two classes in IB plus STEM or BEF.

J. L. Long is coordinating curriculum/resources/teachers in an alignment with Woodrow. Woodrow's new principal http://lakewood.advocatemag.com/2011...ool-principal/ has worked closely with J. L. Long's principal in the past so they are a good 'tag team'.

Long Principal Danielle Petters (Woodrow class of 1985) and Woodrow Principal Kyle Richardson. Richardson has cousins who attended Woodrow and his wife's father and uncle attended.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 01-09-2012 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies....
I have been leaning towards Lakewood, hopefully things work out once I sale my condo.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM

93 posts, read 112,439 times
I live in LH and can't really disagree with what's been said about the differences. Generally, I'm not a big fan of most of the LH neighborhoods. They are nice but unremarkable. It is kind of a mix between living in the burbs and living in the city.

I do really like the neighborhood where I live, in White Rock Valley. There are more traditional neighboorhoods near White Rock Elementary and then there are funkier ones closer to Flag Pole Hill. The ones near Flag Pole Hill are across Northwest Highway from some of the best Lakewood neighboorhoods (W. Lawther, etc).

I think you need to look in both when it comes to a home search. If I had the budget to live anywhere within either Lakewood or Lake Highlands, Lakewood would have a lot of appeal. However, the quality of the neighborhoods available to you and the condition of the homes at a given price range may steer you more toward LH. Below $400,000, Lakewood is not going to have many compelling options if you want location, condition and space. However, you can get a pretty nice house in most areas of LH for that amount.

I also think Lake Highlands, at least in my neighborhood, feels safer even if it isn't. Because the neighborhood is so close to the police station and because the neighborhood association hires off duty police to patrol, it is extremely rare not to see at least one police car on a given drive through the neighborood. I am referring only to the feel; statistics may be different. LH is definitely close to its share of undesirable neighborhoods.

The other thing to keep in mind is where you like to shop and eat. I don't really like the areas TC80 mentioned (greenville, henderson) but most people do. I would prefer to be closer to Northpark and the new Park Lane Whole Foods, Preston Center, etc. LH is more convenient to those areas. However, neither is really far from anything.

I know several couples who bought in Lakewood in their 20s and then bought in LH in their 30s in anticipation of having kids. I don't really know anyone who went from LH to Lakewood. This isn't a good reason to buy in LH, but I think some people feel more comfortable in LH raising a family. Maybe it's because it feels more like bland suburbia or because they feel more comfortable with Richardson ISD vs. DISD generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas