U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,685,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Ha, I do the same and my wife yells at me!
I keep a bucket in my shower so I can capture the cold water when I start the shower. Also it can capture some of the spray while I'm showering. Then I can use it for plant watering, flushing toilets.
Neat idea....
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,518,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That's why I conserve VOLUNTARILY... Because I actually have a brain in my head.
So you think that if you alone conserve water, that'll make everything fine? Because I assure you, there are a whole lot of people that couldn't care less. A pretty lawn is more important than having drinking water. I've seen streets that were flooded with water from sprinklers at people's houses and at businesses. People's priorities baffle me. But it's nice to know that none of that matters since you conserve voluntarily. There's no need to make sure that the other six million people do.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
So you think that if you alone conserve water, that'll make everything fine? Because I assure you, there are a whole lot of people that couldn't care less. A pretty lawn is more important than having drinking water. I've seen streets that were flooded with water from sprinklers at people's houses and at businesses. People's priorities baffle me. But it's nice to know that none of that matters since you conserve voluntarily. There's no need to make sure that the other six million people do.
I'm only responsible for making sure I'M being responsible, not for telling other people how to live their lives. Just sayin'...

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM

326 posts, read 636,030 times
Just double the water rates for people that don't cut back something like 10-15% from the same quarter last year (with some sort of baseline level established for number of occupants, so people who already are conserving aren't punished). KISS principle for forcing smarter usage...

Having a brown lawn on a smaller lot doesn't seem so bad right now, and makes me glad I didn't splurge for a larger yard than I would have used...

Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM

1,005 posts, read 3,311,125 times
I don't have sprinklers or other irrigation and my grass is green because we seem to have the wettest drought possible in Dallas given that it rains every week.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
Just double the water rates for people that don't cut back something like 10-15% from the same quarter last year (with some sort of baseline level established for number of occupants, so people who already are conserving aren't punished). KISS principle for forcing smarter usage...

Having a brown lawn on a smaller lot doesn't seem so bad right now, and makes me glad I didn't splurge for a larger yard than I would have used...
Smart - that's using market forces instead of issuing edicts from On High.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,518,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I'm only responsible for making sure I'M being responsible, not for telling other people how to live their lives. Just sayin'...
Well then don't expect to have water for much longer.

Actually, it doesn't look like you live around here anyway, but just hypothetically speaking as if you did.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Well then don't expect to have water for much longer.

Actually, it doesn't look like you live around here anyway, but just hypothetically speaking as if you did.
Very true.... So far - we're looking at a possible move in 2012.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 AM

18 posts, read 26,082 times
We've got 4 rain barrels and I used the water from them to water all my potted plants over the summer. Did it the old fashioned way, by bucket. But, the Extension Office has a class on drip watering and such and how to hook it all up to rain barrels. We bought an old whiskey barrel off the 'net and it was already fitted out to be a rain barrel. The man who did our gutters then connected it to one of the down spouts. Then I took the rain barrel class and got a rain barrel there. We had 2 old plastic barrels our dogs had used as beds in their kennels. We cleaned them out, drilled holes for spouts and overflow, put screening over the tops and have them at lower levels than the first barrel. Rain falls into the first one from the down spout, then the overflow goes into the next one and that overflow goes into the last.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:52 PM

813 posts, read 1,769,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabalser View Post
We've got 4 rain barrels and I used the water from them to water all my potted plants over the summer. Did it the old fashioned way, by bucket. But, the Extension Office has a class on drip watering and such and how to hook it all up to rain barrels. We bought an old whiskey barrel off the 'net and it was already fitted out to be a rain barrel. The man who did our gutters then connected it to one of the down spouts. Then I took the rain barrel class and got a rain barrel there. We had 2 old plastic barrels our dogs had used as beds in their kennels. We cleaned them out, drilled holes for spouts and overflow, put screening over the tops and have them at lower levels than the first barrel. Rain falls into the first one from the down spout, then the overflow goes into the next one and that overflow goes into the last.
you may need to patent that

it looks like we're heading into a whole world of hurt and you may have hit on something

"Rain Barrel Class" sounds like a cool country music band name (sorry to Dave Barry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or