U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:38 PM

38 posts, read 64,546 times

Advertisements

North Texas Municipal Water District (NTMWD) is meeting January 26, 2012 to discuss going to Stage 4 (highest stage) watering restrictions for North Texas cities. This could have very negative impacts for many businesses this spring and summer.

Star Local News > Allen American > News > Water district to consider Stage 4 restrictions

What's everyones thoughts about this happening? Bad city planning? Too extreme too early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
My thoughts ate:

1. Lay a 24 inch pipe in line with de-salinization from The Gulf.

2. Renew talks with Lake Hugo and Broken Bow in Oklahoma. Both of these lake have fabulous quantities of water.

3. If stage 4 is what I think it is and I built pools I'd sue everyone in sight.

4. Given our projected growth from NY-State and Calif and other expats we need to do 1 and 2 regardless.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
They waited too long to do 2 and 3 so now draconian Stage 4 has to be considered.

Dummies. They knew it was going to be a dry spring and summer but had no restrictions. They knew that Texoma was shut down due to the mussel zebra outbreak.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

27,442 posts, read 44,934,740 times
definitely poor planning--but really lack of leadership willing to **** people off
the cities in this area need to take a look at San Antonio and how it manages the water usage
some of the ways they ticket people would rock the socks off almost anyone here but there are SO MANY bad examples of landscape watering on public property that they should take the lead in showing people how to have sprinklers installed and operating properly...
they don't
and too many people have sprinkler systems that water inefficiently--throwing water into the street and wasting it
they need to have their systems revamped or get tickets--
and giving tickets for watering in off hours is a joke--
the only people here who can write the ticket are with the water dept--
they have to SEE the violation--and they don't work after 5pm--or on weekends--
so how likely are they to really catch people who set their sprinklers to go off at 2AM on a day they aren't supposed to water???
NONE--
I know cause I called to report someone in my neighborhood who was watering illegally--
it is a catch-22---smart people will water at night when no one is working/on call--ergo there can be no ticket made...no ticket--no fine--no problem...

and really should Jerry Jones or any of the people who live on MacMansion lots get to use a thousand times more water just because they have larger property and can afford to spend the money???
this same issue with energy useage as well--
maybe each citizen gets "allotment" of water/air/energy per year--and what you use over that is paid for based on your income level--
the more you make the more you pay to overuse...

lack of progress in using recycled water for landscaping which is fairly common in some areas like FL but not here...except on large areas like golf courses...

Last edited by loves2read; 01-09-2012 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

350 posts, read 720,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Lay a 24 inch pipe in line with de-salinization from The Gulf.
Why don't we just fly in the water from Mars? It would cost about the same.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM

77 posts, read 175,055 times
I agree with loves2read - too many people here waste water. I love to garden and am dumbfounded by the bad use of water I see in my neighborhood and by the businesses I pass on my way to work. The other week when it was 30 degrees, a huge apartment complex had its sprinklers going at 7 am and the water was turning to ice on the cold sidewalks. Little kids walking to school were slipping and sliding all around. Why wasn't that business ticketed?

If we have another bad drought year I think people will start changing their ways. First of all, all their water-dependent plants and lawns will have died. The Metroplex will not be very pretty for a few years while people switch over to more water-wise plants. I predict we'll look more like Austin or Lubbock with lots of gravel "lawns" with more native flowers and grasses in our yards. I will miss some of the trees like Magnolias, but know that it's better for all of us in the long run to get rid of those water hogs.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Why don't we just fly in the water from Mars? It would cost about the same.
What if the Martians are like the OK Indians and won't let us?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:04 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
I'm all for conservation, but having "water police" just scares the Libertarian in me to death. What's next?

Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM

18 posts, read 26,044 times
Glad I took the rain barrel class at Texas A&M extension complex on Coit! I've got 4 rain barrels now and would like to add more. It's amazing how much rain can pour off a roof. I do agree, though, about the poor planning/leadership in Dallas about the water situation. They did nothing when other cities were a step or two ahead and then, now, we may face no watering.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,952,734 times
I'd like to clarify that the infrastructure issues are not the fault of poor city planning. Rather poor projections and project management by the North Texas Municipal Water District. Yes, there are member cities who make up the board, but they rely on paid staff to advise and carry projects out. In addition there are as many customer cities who live at the mercy of the NTMWD.

One of the single largest problems is the bizarre way that they charge cities regardless of usage.

Cities are required to pay for X number of gallons per year - based on the highest usage year. Regardless of actual water consumption. So if in the drought and housing boom of 2006 your city used 500,000 gallons, then in 2007 (an incredibly wet year) you would be purchasing 500,000 gallons, even if your actual consumption was 300,000. 200,000 gallons paid for but not consumed.

So how do you tell the residents that they should conserve and bring that number down to say 250,000?

It is very difficult to urge conservation when the system actively discourages it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or