U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:54 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,001,173 times

Advertisements

Living in Dallas you will pay property taxes that are 2.62 percent vs say a suburb like Frisco where they are 2.18. The schools in Dallas are not an option for many people.There are many threads on here that discuss Dallas and their school issues.We moved here from Connecticut and love the suburb we chose.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 6,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Living in Dallas you will pay property taxes that are 2.62 percent vs say a suburb like Frisco where they are 2.18. The schools in Dallas are not an option for many people.There are many threads on here that discuss Dallas and their school issues.We moved here from Connecticut and love the suburb we chose.
I prefer to stay in the suburbs.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM

288 posts, read 397,825 times
As usual, prospective residents are not being given a clear picture of Dallas. Conservatives really do an injustice by steering everyone to the same parts of town when there are wonderful neighborhoods elsewhere. Don't totally rely on Dallas' super-conservative community for information. In your price point you have many options you haven't been told about, as conservatives here have what is referred as the 80-20 rule, which basically means more than 20% minority. But as many people south of town will tell you, it is an injustice to not give full disclosure to new residents. Take a look at Lakeridge-Cedar Hill, a community of professionals, including pro football players, professional singers, doctors...etc. You could afford one of these homes that would cost you a million dollars in University Park. Cedar Hill is known for its robust shopping area and good schools, including great private schools if you want one that fits the 80-20 rule, though the public schools are recognized with college prep classes.

If you want to be on the freeway in traffic reading a book, then some of the other areas are fine. But if you want to be home in 20 minutes heading home around beautifuls hills and prairies in the Joe Pool Lake area then take a look. With this info and the info provided by the others you now have a more complete look at the Dallas area.

Texas Lake Property | Texas Lakefront Property | Joe Pool Lake Homes

Last edited by Ablebodied; 01-11-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 AM

887 posts, read 2,487,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
When factoring in the homestead, the rates between Dallas and Frisco are very close. I pay approximately ~2.24% in Dallas while a friend in a similarly priced home in Frisco pays ~2.12% .This is because Frisco only allows a very limited homestead exemption. Just wanted to clarify because the standard tax rates can be misleading in the DFW area.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM

27,459 posts, read 44,959,956 times
There are many factors in play--
and suggesting that people are basically prejudiced if they don't suggest Cedar Hill vs Plano is ridiculous...

and I have been in Joe Pool Lake area--frankly we chose not to live there when we were investigating other areas several years ago--
it lacks many of the amenities (at least then) that we wanted and were already used to having close by--
a reason why we also ruled out Aledo, Mansfield, north Keller, and the Argyle area...

Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
Yes but you have to admit that the usual suspects are always the same for the lemmings - for some reason the poster doesn't want to live in Dallas (but keeps asking about "Dallas"). I would be interesting to know why she thinks her husband should be driving for hours rather than choosing some place a few minutes from the job in Dallas or a shorter commute with less traffic from one of the southern suburbs.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM

34 posts, read 69,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa85 View Post
Hi! My husband found a job with a better company in Downtown Dallas and we're relocating from Indianapolis. I have two daughters, a 2 year old and a 4 year old. We have a house budget of 295000 and are looking to upsize from our townhome for a 3+ bed, 2+ bath House. We're looking for a good school district, kid-friendly, newer houses and not to far from downtown Dallas (I don't know what most commutes are but not more than the average).
Also if you could you tell me some things about Dallas and the suburbs or compared to where we are now.
He's starting his job soon. So we would like to have some information as soon as possible.

Thanks so much!
To get the thread back on track, I would suggest Forney. It is approx. 21 miles east of Dallas. Many new housing developments with several in your price range. The school district was awarded Exemplary (highest possible rating for Texas School Districts) in 2010 & Recognized in 2011. 30-35 minute commute in rush hour traffic. My daughters are 3 & 6, we feel this community is kid friendly - community park, water park, trails, etc. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck

I

Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,001,173 times
The canyon creek area of Richardson would be a good option if you want to be within a half hour of downtown Dallas.South west Plano would be good as well for uour price range.

When we searched for suburbs we looked at the town/ city zoning maps and searched for registered sex offenders within proximity to the areas we were considering.Check out Familywatchdog.com.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM

11,672 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa85 View Post
Thanks Everyone, I would prefer to stay in the suburbs, instead of being in a neighborhood in Dallas. How's the safety in Dallas? I would also like to say that we where approved for 350K, but I would prefer to save a little for certain things. But, I'm willing to go a little higher if that means I would be able to be in a better neighborhood. My DH says he will look to see if his job is near a DART station.
Do you realize that many homes & neighborhoods in Richardson look identical to homes and neighborhoods in North & East Dallas? In the Lake Highlands neighborhoodmof Dallas, it's even in Richardson public schools. I'm not following your logic for wanting to be in a suburb vs city neighborhood. Dallas city neighborhoods ARE suburban by nature as they were developed on the "outskirts" of town in the 1910-1960 era.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablebodied View Post
As usual, prospective residents are not being given a clear picture of Dallas. Conservatives really do an injustice by steering everyone to the same parts of town when there are wonderful neighborhoods elsewhere.
You've been a member for a whole month and you've got the forum members figured out eh?

Speaking for myself, I recommended Richardson and Plano because they have close access to downtown, good school systems, and lots of amenities. Plano was just voted the safest city in the country, and Richardson is right next door.

Has Cedar Hill ever been voted best... at anything? I'm going to ignore your "80-20" malarkey, and so should the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or