Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 PM

428 posts, read 1,392,072 times

Advertisements

Spirit is not full of Business Class people and those planes are always full. So there must be a market.
In summary AA's monopoly has not been good to Dallas.
Dallas needs another alternative. Especially in light of that darn Wright Ammendment that is stiffling the market on Love Field.

I will be using my remnant AA Miles this spring and never fly them again. I have started flying Spirit and USAirways. I mainly fly to the Caribbean and Miami. I will not be supporting a monopoly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM

350 posts, read 864,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
A monopoly is always bad. Air-fares to the same destination from, say, Houston is much cheaper due to lack of monopoly. Wish Delta still maintained a hub here .
Houston is dominated by United. Same "monopoly" situation.

(Of course, it's nowhere close to being a monopoly in either case, but whatever)

Old 01-11-2012, 02:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,618,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
A monopoly is always bad. Air-fares to the same destination from, say, Houston is much cheaper due to lack of monopoly. Wish Delta still maintained a hub here .
Not true at all.

Houston's average paid fares are higher than Dallas' by about 9% overall and Continental out of Houston's average paid fares are 15% high than Americans at DFW.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:33 PM

469 posts, read 882,897 times
Last time I checked, you could only fly Virgin out of DFW to LA or SF. Same here in Chicago. I could only go to LA or SF. I used it to go to LA and loved it. Do they offer service to other cities now?

Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Spirit is not full of Business Class people and those planes are always full. So there must be a market.
In summary AA's monopoly has not been good to Dallas.
Dallas needs another alternative. Especially in light of that darn Wright Ammendment that is stiffling the market on Love Field.

I will be using my remnant AA Miles this spring and never fly them again. I have started flying Spirit and USAirways. I mainly fly to the Caribbean and Miami. I will not be supporting a monopoly!
Again, not the case.

Full planes do not equal profitablity. You can have a plane thats packed to the brim, but if the yields are not high enough, that flight makes no money at all.

Case and point, American Airlines just announced its cancelling Chicago-Delhi. Yet, the load factor on this flight was 89% including the premium classes. Thats very high for a long haul flight. Ive kept up with this flight for the last 4 years and it has never made a dime! The reason? The average paid fare was only $600 per direction. Thats less than the average paid fare of Chicago-Manchester, yet its more than twice the distance.

Fly US Airways or Spirit if you wish. Thats your choice. Although you would be naive to think they dont have their monopolies. Look at Charlotte and Philly, the people there complain that US has a monopoly and the fares are too high. Same thing, different city.

Airlines are not non-profits.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,495,523 times
ATL has strong low-fare competition thanks to Airtran (now Southwest); low (or at least reasonable) fares are available to markets from coast to coast ex-ATL. Hopefully once the Wright Amendment sunsets and Southwest can fly nonstop to more cities from Love Field, there will be something close to that kind competition in the Metroplex airline market.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM

325 posts, read 754,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Again, not the case.

Full planes do not equal profitablity. You can have a plane thats packed to the brim, but if the yields are not high enough, that flight makes no money at all.

Case and point, American Airlines just announced its cancelling Chicago-Delhi. Yet, the load factor on this flight was 89% including the premium classes. Thats very high for a long haul flight. Ive kept up with this flight for the last 4 years and it has never made a dime! The reason? The average paid fare was only $600 per direction. Thats less than the average paid fare of Chicago-Manchester, yet its more than twice the distance.

Fly US Airways or Spirit if you wish. Thats your choice. Although you would be naive to think they dont have their monopolies. Look at Charlotte and Philly, the people there complain that US has a monopoly and the fares are too high. Same thing, different city.

Airlines are not non-profits.
Add in that extra $40 charge for a second carryon, and Spirit doesn't look like quite as good of a bargain as the competition...

Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM

428 posts, read 1,392,072 times
Trust me, my FLL trips are only with shorts, 1 jean and a couple of tshirts. So I bring evething I need on the allowed carry-on.

Frugality and spartanness is the new black.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Trust me, my FLL trips are only with shorts, 1 jean and a couple of tshirts. So I bring evething I need on the allowed carry-on.

Frugality and spartanness is the new black.
Except Spirit charges for carry ons.

US Airways is a respectable airline. Spirit is an a la carte in a sense that you pay for everything.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:58 AM

9 posts, read 29,294 times
Hang in there, the metroplex area will have another option soon for some of the popular vacation destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas