U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 AM

574 posts, read 1,349,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Or not.

In the face of an improving employment picture panic price slashing is likely a bad move. Life is a poker match and the scared get killed.
Wow! Where did you come up with that from, the Poofy Hair Dude (Perry) Koolaid station? A big part of the OP's problem, whether others want to see or not, is the employment scene even here in Texas and DFW. Bad employment equates to less higher end (or higher cost) leasing and an overall affect on buying! Some of the local and recent employment news:
  • Plano based Hostess has declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This always results in job cuts but they have not said how many here yet.
  • MetLife is closing its mortgage operation and that was announced on the news this morning. At least 800 Irving employees will receive their pink slips. What is hosed about this one is the news reported it this morning and the company has not even told their employees yet. How would you like to wake up to your morning coffee, preparing to go to work, and hear that little gem?
  • Newell-Rubbermaid has a major plant in Greenville. Due to major losses to cheap Chinese imported junk they are closing this plant. It has been reported that up to 1200 people will lose their jobs. The pink slips have already been going out since just before the holiday season and will continue through Feb - Mar.
These are just some of the local happenings for employment. The new employment norm is that people just don't know if they are going to have a job next week or not.

OP,

You say you're trying to lease and having a problem. Everybody is looking for a great bargain these days. Have you considered trying to give the impression of a "perceived value" of renting your unit? Maybe it is priced too high for the area? Maybe others in your WIDE geographic area are offering free rent or other things to draw in tenants? For those people not using mass transit (most) then they will go elsewhere to get a bargain since they have transportation. The updated kitchen you mention is only a plus to someone who plans to live and entertain there for awhile as other renters don't much care, unless your unit is renting less than others. From the sounds of it others are saying the area is not bad just tricky due to amenities and other factors.

If you are trying to sell, as others imply, then I would have to agree with GreyDay that you need to get attention first and that means less of a sale price. Don't want to go too low as people then wonder what is wrong with it.

Hope you have better luck in whichever you are doing whether selling or renting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 AM

50 posts, read 86,451 times
Thanks jbiggs

I'm trying to either lease or sale...... Right now my price is comparable to others units behind the wall.. I'm going to wait another week or so before I lower the price. I have a little flexibility on the price to come down. I could care less if I make any money off this condo ... we just want to get into a house.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,927,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiggs View Post
Wow! Where did you come up with that from, the Poofy Hair Dude (Perry) Koolaid station? A big part of the OP's problem, whether others want to see or not, is the employment scene even here in Texas and DFW. Bad employment equates to less higher end (or higher cost) leasing and an overall affect on buying! Some of the local and recent employment news:
  • Plano based Hostess has declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This always results in job cuts but they have not said how many here yet.
  • MetLife is closing its mortgage operation and that was announced on the news this morning. At least 800 Irving employees will receive their pink slips. What is hosed about this one is the news reported it this morning and the company has not even told their employees yet. How would you like to wake up to your morning coffee, preparing to go to work, and hear that little gem?
  • Newell-Rubbermaid has a major plant in Greenville. Due to major losses to cheap Chinese imported junk they are closing this plant. It has been reported that up to 1200 people will lose their jobs. The pink slips have already been going out since just before the holiday season and will continue through Feb - Mar.
These are just some of the local happenings for employment. The new employment norm is that people just don't know if they are going to have a job next week or not.
Easy to point out all the doom and gloom..But the latest job numbers negate about every example you just provided above.

Just remember, Love bears it out even to the edge of doom. -Shakespeare

Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM

16,092 posts, read 35,880,495 times
When all else fails you have to lower the price - #2 rule of Real Estate.

If you have only had one showing I would lower the price AND make sure the pictures are good as Naima suggested. It doesn't matter if have cleaned top to bottom, removed all clutter etc., if you can't get them in the door.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:55 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,617,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Or not.

In the face of an improving employment picture panic price slashing is likely a bad move. Life is a poker match and the scared get killed.
True. But price it aggressively, we've all got a price point at which we bleed. The person out first resets the comp floor in a development.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM

615 posts, read 2,313,709 times
The rental market is hot right now. I looked at the house I'm in on a Friday last Summer and by Monday the house had 2 or 3 other offers. I have a friend that got an email from her realtor about a new listing in the m streets of Dallas 2 weeks ago and when she went to give him a call to schedule an appointment the same day, the place was already taken.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:19 PM

11,693 posts, read 21,357,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz003 View Post
Thanks for the replies....
The lease price is compared to another unit in the complex (and other units behind the wall) that seems to lease all the time and it will cover my mortgage, etc.
The realtor is an expert in this area and the condo is spotless. We just painted, (everything) put new crown molding, refinished wood floors, and remodeled the kitchen along with new appliances.
I know some the HOA behind the wall are HIGH.... We have one of the lowest HOA (below $500) behind the wall which included all utilities.
Moderator cut: see DM
Not to sound snarky AT ALL, but if everything's in order and your realtor is an expert in the area, what does your realtor say about your situation?? Is it normal or is she / he scratching his head, too?

With only one showing, if you need/want to rent quickly, I would start dropping the price by $50 or $100 every 30 days until you get an offer. If you can sit tight and believe you're priced right, then you need a new marketing plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas