U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,119,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I have to laugh at the idea of an "older home" being from the 1990's (I'm a recent relo from Chicago, and my wife grew up in Boston, where an "older" home from the 90's would be from the 1890's. )

I have to admit, that made me smile, too. I've never in my life lived in a house built that recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:10 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,700,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Southlake is pretty expensive, to me... even with our budget of anything under $1M.

You get less land and you have to pay more for a comparatively similar home in another upscale suburb like say - Flower Mound. I am having a hard time convincing myself that a smaller house on 1/3 acre is better than a larger, better finished house with a pool on a 1 acre lot in Flower Mound.

But, you get what you pay for... this is true for most real estate. The market dictates the price because this is the price the market will bear.

Don't get me started on Park Cities - that's a whole 'nother beast.

In my opinion, in order for someone to say that Southlake isn't expensive - you really need to have deep pockets and a budget of at least $2M. This will get you over the threshold of the cost of the lot offsetting the price.

A $2M house in Southlake is VERY similar to a $2M house in Flower Mound. However, a $750K home in Southlake is significantly less of a house than a $750K home in Flower Mound.
A house in Southlake will hold it's value longer after Flower Mound has come and gone. I can't stress enough the value that comes from small school districts that have managed to zone out middle/low income housing. I know of only 3 in all of DFW...Highlandpark, Westlake, and Southlake. This ensures the area will be exclusive and desirable for years to come. You just cannot say that about Flower Mound in the Lewisville ISD.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,604,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
A house in Southlake will hold it's value longer after Flower Mound has come and gone. I can't stress enough the value that comes from small school districts that have managed to zone out middle/low income housing. I know of only 3 in all of DFW...Highlandpark, Westlake, and Southlake. This ensures the area will be exclusive and desirable for years to come. You just cannot say that about Flower Mound in the Lewisville ISD.
Mostly correct. Assuming ISD's don't redefine their districts (which they have little reason to do), it also helps if an area is 'built out' already. If there are no new apt complexes being built, no new Toll Bros. subdivisions and an area's demographics (education, property value) remain stable then values should hold.

And the last poster was a bit off, 2 million in HP would not look alot like 2 million in Flower mound. It might even be a tiny cottage of Versailles.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:07 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,182,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Mostly correct. Assuming ISD's don't redefine their districts (which they have little reason to do), it also helps if an area is 'built out' already. If there are no new apt complexes being built, no new Toll Bros. subdivisions and an area's demographics (education, property value) remain stable then values should hold.

And the last poster was a bit off, 2 million in HP would not look alot like 2 million in Flower mound. It might even be a tiny cottage of Versailles.
Too bad Southlake has another Toll Brothers sub coming out.

And which poster said 2M at HP is the same as 2M at FM?

Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,604,479 times
You're right, it was Southlake and Flower Mound. My bad.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:01 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,571,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

Transplants move into areas where they buy comprable housing costs--so they don't pay tax on equity they can't invest into a new home--.
Loved the rest of the post, but just wanted to note that under current tax law you don't have to "invest equity in a new home" in order to avoid any tax consequences from the sale of your old home. I will note that prior to 5/7/97, which covers of the chunk of the timeframe you're talking about re: development of Southlake, your statement is correct and that it almost definitely did help drive demand for upscale homes.

Sorry, just being a tax pedant.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM

440 posts, read 960,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I visit Southlake quite often to our friends. The drive for excellence seems to be more towards sports than academics. With high property taxes and the advantage of having a small school district I don't see Southlake kids having the same drive for academic excellence like HP, FM or Plano. Look at the no. of National Merit Semifinalists or the SAT scores and you'll find that Southlake results doesn't match with its ISD reputation. Even in the various academic competitions across DFW, I see kids from most public schools but not from Southlake.

Between HP & Southlake, both having high income educated families, why are the HP kids more motivated than Southlake? On the other hand, FM schools are top notch inspite of being part of the big Lewisville ISD. FM have managed to keep low property taxes, hold property values and desirable without going for their own independent ISD.

I personally think Southlake ISD is doing a great job in elementary & middle schools just like other desirable cities but should do a better job on academics specially in high schools.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:57 PM

13,180 posts, read 12,700,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I visit Southlake quite often to our friends. The drive for excellence seems to be more towards sports than academics. With high property taxes and the advantage of having a small school district I don't see Southlake kids having the same drive for academic excellence like HP, FM or Plano. Look at the no. of National Merit Semifinalists or the SAT scores and you'll find that Southlake results doesn't match with its ISD reputation. Even in the various academic competitions across DFW, I see kids from most public schools but not from Southlake.

Between HP & Southlake, both having high income educated families, why are the HP kids more motivated than Southlake? On the other hand, FM schools are top notch inspite of being part of the big Lewisville ISD. FM have managed to keep low property taxes, hold property values and desirable without going for their own independent ISD.

I personally think Southlake ISD is doing a great job in elementary & middle schools just like other desirable cities but should do a better job on academics specially in high schools.
The difference you are seeing in National Merit Scholars likely has a strong correlation with the percent of Asian students in the district. Southlake's SAT scores exceed every district except for Highland Park last time I looked.http://dallas-area-schools.blogspot....llas-area.html And 82% of Seniors take the test which likely exceeds all school districts except for HP as well.

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-15-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Too bad Southlake has another Toll Brothers sub coming out.
What's wrong with Toll Brothers subdivisions? We might put an offer to build at Shady Oaks this week.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,916,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiu-bimmer View Post
What's wrong with Toll Brothers subdivisions? We might put an offer to build at Shady Oaks this week.
TB isn't exactly synonymous with quality construction. I get the feeling their reputation is better in Texas than it is in most other regions of the US. That said, you should only plan on taking that reputation so far. I would recommend an independent inspection at each major stage of the construction if you plan on staying in this home for a while.

I know a few contractors in the Northeast who worked with TB..They had a saying about the quality of a TBs home. Went something like, you can take a hammer and throw it at one side of the house and will come clean through the other side.

It's fair to say Toll Brothers and Pulte are in the same basket..So the question is, what are your opinions of Pulte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas