Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 PM

9 posts, read 13,424 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to Dallas area. I'm looking for a area that is on DART line but as far out and less populated as possible. Also needs to have good schools. I looked at DART map and see where it cuts off. Not many options as far as country. Anyone know of a area or neighborhood that may be close to what I seek- quiet, clean, slow life type country vibe?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
Eventually DART will connect with Denton's line and that will probably be as far out and the least crowded/country like area you'll get. As of now the lines only go as far as Carrollton, Plano, Garland (soon to be Rowlett), and South Dallas, IIRC. Unfortunately, nothing too country. Out of the current choices, probably Garland has the most small town, community vibe and schools are pretty decent. Plano has the best schools, but I don't get any country vibe from it. The historic downtown area where the train runs has a bit of a small town feel to it.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM

9 posts, read 13,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Eventually DART will connect with Denton's line and that will probably be as far out and the least crowded/country like area you'll get. As of now the lines only go as far as Carrollton, Plano, Garland (soon to be Rowlett), and South Dallas, IIRC. Unfortunately, nothing too country. Out of the current choices, probably Garland has the most small town, community vibe and schools are pretty decent. Plano has the best schools, but I don't get any country vibe from it. The historic downtown area where the train runs has a bit of a small town feel to it.
What part of Garland do you think would be good for what I'm looking for? I heard north Garland is nice. Also heard certain parts of Garland are RISD and suppose to have good schools.

Rowlett would be great but the buses that do go there are very limited right now and even when they finish the line still may be limited as not enough people going there. Also there school district is not suppose to be that great, no magnet schools.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygrl View Post
What part of Garland do you think would be good for what I'm looking for? I heard north Garland is nice. Also heard certain parts of Garland are RISD and suppose to have good schools.

Rowlett would be great but the buses that do go there are very limited right now and even when they finish the line still may be limited as not enough people going there. Also there school district is not suppose to be that great, no magnet schools.
Garland isn't rural at all. DART isn't really located in rural places.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygrl View Post

Actually, Rowlett doesn't have a school district. It's part of Garland's ISD, which does have school choice and multiple magnets. Technically, if you didn't like Rowlett High School your kid could apply to any of the other Garland schools. The far east side of Rowlett goes to Rockwall schools. They are highly rated since it's a newer affluent area, but it doesn't have the IB program or magnets that Garland does, IIRC.

As far as Garland, only the northern most part isn't built out and is still kind of countryish, but who knows how long that will last with the tollway now complete from all the way up there down to I-30. I'm sure more and more development will start popping up over what's left up there. Again, you're not really going to find a rail line going out into the country anywhere.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,611 times
I've used DART rail quite a bit to get around. I notice it generally takes at least twice as long as driving. For example, I can drive to downtown Dallas in about 20 or 25 minutes but it takes me an hour to get there on the DART train. I did it during my summer job there because it was cheaper than driving (company reimbursed part). I imagine dealing with buses would take even longer.

You really have to factor in your time as well. I wish I could ride DART out to my current job in a rural area but it would probably take 2-3 hours each way anyway!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
The DCTA line is open. So is the full green line.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Garland isn't rural at all. DART isn't really located in rural places.
This.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Live as close to your job as you can. if you can take Dart, fine. If you can walk, even better. I used to live 1 block from my job. It was great.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
The DCTA line is open. So is the full green line.

I wasn't aware. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas