Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM

11 posts, read 26,380 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are coming up to Dallas this weekend to make a decision on a neighborhood in Parker. Parker and Murphy (and surrounding area) sound idyllic based on what posters here have said about them. Big lots, good shopping close by, close to a marina, family friendly, etc.

My main concern is whether or not the schools are going to be a problem for us. It sounds as if Williams High (which is where our kids might attend) is a pretty scary place, and it's score on Great Schools is not impressive to us. I'm not quite as worried about Plano East, as they have the IB program there, and if we lived elsewhere in Plano we'd hope that our kids could attend it anyway. (Thoughts on the IB program?)

We are absolutely NOT opposed to diversity. We were both born and raised in the Seattle area, I am part asian, and together with our friends make up a melting pot of diversity. What we don't want is our kids going to schools where violence is a norm and education is subpar. We are used to living near the best schools in the state.

We have looked at many different areas in the DFW Metroplex, and have decided that it's probably Parker or out of state somewhere. It is simply the best option for us.

Questions:
  • Does anyone know if our kids could attend the new McMillen High School instead of Williams?
  • If not, is Parker worth it to the extent that we should consider private school for two years?
  • Does the East Plano area have any influence over the ambiance and general opinion/resail value of Parker and Murphy?
  • Is the Parker/Murphy area considered "the boonies" to the rest of DFW?
Thanks in advance to any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,668,876 times
Parker and Murphy are not the boonies at all but they are a bit off the beaten path. I would suggest checking out a few other areas while you are here. Parker and Murphy are not located close to Preston Rd ( major shopping ) or the tollway .You are close to 75 but still a 10 minute drive from it. While you are here check out Allen and Fairview as well. Lovejoy isd serves Fairview and parts of Allen.It is a small district with good ratings. Fairview and parts of Allen ( north east of 75 ) offer large lots and closer access to main roads that are desirable.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:40 PM

662 posts, read 1,445,668 times
I lived in West Plano, and my kids would have gone to Plano West Senior High, and yet I knew people in my neighborhood who sent their kids across town to Plano East expressly because of the IB program. This decision involved them personally shlepping or carpooling quite a long distance. I know they were happy with their decision as well since the IB program at East is excellent.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,900,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricki_nicki View Post
It sounds as if Williams High (which is where our kids might attend) is a pretty scary place, and it's score on Great Schools is not impressive to us.
Keep in mind that a lot of those comments are from the time before McMillen was open. That was an era when the school was ridiculously overcrowded, with over 2000 kids for 2 grades. The enrollment for 2012-2013 will be just over 500 kids per grade. Also, the (IMO) weakest middle school, Armstrong, no longer feeds to Williams.

Now, it still might not fit your needs. But the "new" Williams, which still has the prosperous neighborhoods of east Richardson and Parker feeding into it, but now nowhere near as much of "old east Plano", may be quite a bit different than its past reputation would lead you to fear.

Quote:
I'm not quite as worried about Plano East, as they have the IB program there, and if we lived elsewhere in Plano we'd hope that our kids could attend it anyway. (Thoughts on the IB program?)
The IB program really starts in 9th grade, with a pre-IB curriculum offered at only 2 PISD schools. One of them is Williams. Amy Chyao, a current PESH senior famous for being invited to the White House not once, but twice (!), attended the IB program at Williams and PESH.

Quote:
We are absolutely NOT opposed to diversity. We were both born and raised in the Seattle area, I am part asian, and together with our friends make up a melting pot of diversity. What we don't want is our kids going to schools where violence is a norm and education is subpar. We are used to living near the best schools in the state.
Well, given that last sentence, I'd say "buy in HPISD", but that would contradict the first 2 sentences.

Quote:
We have looked at many different areas in the DFW Metroplex, and have decided that it's probably Parker or out of state somewhere. It is simply the best option for us.
Why, exactly, are you married to Parker? Just curious. If you shop in Murphy instead, most of that feeds to McMillen. (Some MLS listings don't have that updated, and list McMillen houses as feeding to Williams.)

Quote:
[*]Does anyone know if our kids could attend the new McMillen High School instead of Williams?
Depends. In general, PISD allows transfers from one school to another on a space-available basis. However, in the specific case of Williams & McMillen, transfers into BOTH schools were blocked for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. That was done in order to enforce the new boundaries, and to prevent mass transfers of kids seeking to stick with their buddies. Past experience (as in the Otto/Murphy MS rezoning) would lead one to conclude that the block will be lifted for 2013-2014 and beyond, but there's no guarantee of that.

If McMillen is a no-go, and you're dead set on avoiding Williams, you could always switch to one of the other PISD high schools. For 2012-2013, there were 125 spots available for 9th grade transfers: 50 at Jasper, 50 at Vines, 25 at Shepton.

Quote:
[*]If not, is Parker worth it to the extent that we should consider private school for two years?
If you're going to do that, I wouldn't bother to return to PESH for 11-12. Just stay at the private school and call it a day.

Quote:
[*]Does the East Plano area have any influence over the ambiance and general opinion/resail value of Parker and Murphy?
Not so much over Murphy, especially now that they have "their own" schools through 10th grade.

Parker, whose kids go through Bowman and Williams, has a bit of a tougher go - there are some private school kids, and a LOT of Parker people who transfer their kids to the Central (PSHS) cluster schools.

Quote:
[*]Is the Parker/Murphy area considered "the boonies" to the rest of DFW?
I consider it the boonies relative to just PISD. I drove out to the new stadium once and couldn't believe it - 30 minutes in the car and I still hadn't left the district!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

Big G, we found out tonight that our neighborhood will actually go to McMillen now, they just forgot to update their website - so problem solved in that department. Although what you said about the IB program at Williams is interesting. If we went that route our kids would end up there anyway it seems.

We've decided on Parker simply because my husband can't live with anyone "on top of him" (his words, not mine ) and because the floorplan that we love is being built in a neighborhood there. We can't get it anywhere else on so much land and for such a great price.

Again, thanks for all of the awesome info, and Big G for your detailed answers!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:53 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,900,888 times
Not trying to be the bearer of bad news - Just taking a stab here (since I noticed they have the wrong school listed) but....

If it's this place:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...960?source=web

Tread very carefully. That's a very iffy builder.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: realtor.com listings only

Old 01-12-2012, 01:19 PM

3,810 posts, read 8,705,214 times
Big G you always have good input.

I don't think I'm in the boonies but I guess I have everything I need around here.

To the OP - are you considering the McCreary Creek Estates subdivision? I ask because Parker doesn't have a whole lot of subdivisions left to build. I live by the elementary that feeds from that neighborhood. It is a GREAT elementary and actually all of the schools up to PESH are very good. However most of the kids at the school will be from Murphy and really just from two adjoining neighborhoods. Just from comments of my friends with kids there, it's a little harder with the kids from that area to "hang out" with the other kids since it's not as close by.

If you look in Rolling Ridge in Murphy, you can find minimum quarter acre lots. But there are several in Ph 5 and 6 that are closer to a 1/3. We have a third and totally don't feel like anyone is on top of us. Plus the builders are much better than Grand.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:25 PM

764 posts, read 1,650,179 times
Just $0.02, How often are plano schools redistricted? (I know there was something in 2009) How old are your children?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 PM

Eeeeyikes! I've just looked up Grand on the forum and am suddenly rethinking my whole game plan! I really love the floor plan we chose, but it's certainly not worth the potential headache, even if they have "improved" their quality in the last couple of years. Big G, thanks for the heads up!

MurphyP/1, we're heading out tomorrow morning. We'll take a look at Rolling Ridge while we're out, thanks for the info.

Carroll4628, our kids are 9, 6 & 5.
Thanks for your input guys, realllllly helpful.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,572,942 times
my .02--
it seems that you are operating w/o a local realtor--my advice--GET ONE!
Anyone who has spent any time on this forum or ANY forum where people are moving in from out of state and looking for homes or are virgin home buyers--
more mistakes/regrets happen when people make decisions w/o having a local realtor...
I would go so far as saying that even a mediocre realtor is probably better than no realtor...

and a realtor that is better than average saves you time, money, heartache--even when you are out of town for most of the process....
especially if you are out of town for most of the process, actually...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas