U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

14 posts, read 25,852 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have been doing my research on these forums for a long time now and need a little bit more input from all you DFW locals.

We are thinking of moving to TX this year when kids school get done. My kids go to elementary school so schools are top in our priority. I like all that I'm seeing in Sunnyvale with its exemplary status and new homes but torn between a more established community like Coppell and a smaller isd like Sunnyvale. I wouldn't be able to find a new home in Coppell for $400-500k but as I read in these forums, Coppell is top ranked. How do you all like Sunnyvale schools in general and what special programs (like sports, overall development of kids) do you see in Sunnyvale that may(not) be available in a bigger isd like Coppell?

We kind of narrowed it down to just Coppell and Sunnyvale becos of its proximity to Dallas downtown and their exemplary schools. Any advise from you is appreciated in making my heart be at ease about picking Sunnyvale for our family. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:53 PM

1,540 posts, read 2,289,454 times
You do know that section 8 housing was just approved to be built in Sunnyvale? I would do a google search.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 PM

I'm aware of the section 8 housing in Sunnyvale and that the town of Sunnyvale is required to allocate 70 homes to qualify for that. Does anyone know if these homes are in one area (if so which area in the town) or all over the town?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,122,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravt2012 View Post
I'm aware of the section 8 housing in Sunnyvale and that the town of Sunnyvale is required to allocate 70 homes to qualify for that. Does anyone know if these homes are in one area (if so which area in the town) or all over the town?

I would not worry about the section 8 dispute going on in Sunnyvale. I live very close to Sunnyvale and will try to answer your queston. Sunnyvale has a very good school district. Just understand that the school is fairly small and it will continue to be. The great thing is your kids can participate in all the school activities due to the small size. Understand that Sunnyvale is small community. They have no grocery stores, shopping centers, golf course are anything like that. You will have to everything you need from Mesquite or Garland. Coppell is a great district and the schools are much larger. It is alot more amenties than Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale is a perfect fit for someone who really wants a laid back lifestyle. If your into upscale shopping, golf club memberships or gated communties you will not be happy in Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale residents are pretty low key.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks for replying. I did read lot of your posts on this forum and appreciate your input in our matter. My kids are in a class of 30 with one teacher and couple mom volunteers for a few hours a week, that's starting to affect the kids. So we are looking forward to smaller school and all the attention kids can have from the teacher. But then I start worrying if the Sunnyvale schools have enough programs, clubs like chess club, sports that kids can take advantage of.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 AM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Where will you be commuting to for work? Coppell and Sunnyvale are in opposite corners of Dallas County.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:06 AM

34 posts, read 69,360 times
Sunnyvale is building a new Elementary school; as the current elementary school is too small. They have already started construction. I would anticipate a Fall 2013 completion.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM

766 posts, read 1,301,213 times
Where are you moving from and where are you working? We just moved to Sunnyavel in November from Maryland. I will say that my husband's commute to downtown is great. He leaves here at 7:30 drops off the kids at school and is downtown (Akard St.) by 8:10. He leaves work at 5:15 and walks in the door at 5:45. By comparison, a co-worker in Flower Mound, won't even leave the office until after 6pm (unless he wants to spend 60 min in the car taking a conference call).

For 'extracurricular' activies, you're going to need to drive to Garland, Rowlett, Mesquite, Rockwall. There are no after school activities in elementary school, except "Drama Club" which is run by the Drama Kids (a national company). Sunnyvale ISD doesn't start band until 5/6th grade (and they don't have strings). The new elementary school will be ready to go in August 2012 (unless there are rain delays this winter, which won't upset anyone here given the level 3/4 draught conditions).

The big question you need to ask yourself regarding schools is whether you want a 500 student HS or a 2000-3000 student HS and all the plus/minus that go with each.

Section 8 - today it's looking like the area along Beltline Road, tomorrow who knows since the whole thing has been going on for so long. I'm sure something will get built in 5-10 yrs... If you really care Coppell's poverty level is 2.6% (of 40,000 people = 1,000ish), Sunnyvale poverty level is 4.3% (of 5,000 people = 200ish), but of course we don't live in a bubble having Mesquite/Garland on the front steps. I like to think we're socio-economically diverse, not just culturally.

You might consider Heath as an option. Add 15 minutes to the downtown commute. Bigger schools, access to Rockwall and it's amenties.

Send me a msg if I can answer any more of your questions.

Last edited by carroll4628; 01-13-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM

Thanks Carroll4628 for the detailed reply. We will be commuting to downtown Dallas. We are moving from CA. How do you like your move so far? Are you content with everything you see in Sunnyvale or do you feel you should have done something different? I will send you a msg when I have more questions (which I do!), thanks for offering.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:17 AM

250 posts, read 447,468 times
FYI - the low income development on Beltline is dead. There will NOT be any sort of low income development kind of near Beltline & Tripp road, now, where ICP originally wanted to build.

Sunnyvale is going to allow the construction of quad-plexes down by the Dal-Tile plant, on the far south side of Sunnyvale in an area formally zoned for industrial use. The nearest "Sunnyvale neighborhood" will be supposedly over 1/2 a mile away ... which I assume is Stone Canyon.

Here's a DMN article on this from July -the info is still accurate from what the guy at City Hall said:

Checkout Mesquite neighborhood files opposition to Sunnyvale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas