Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:32 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Try being a 36 year-old divorced vegetarian Jew (who keeps kosher) with no kids who also does not drink, then tell me which meetup group I should join.
It was recommended for the original poster who likely doesn't have this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
It was recommended for the original poster who likely doesn't have this problem.
Yeah...I wish her the best of luck. I really do. She's going to need it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Quote:
I'll let this ridiculous personal attack slide since you're a newbie.

Try being a 36 year-old divorced vegetarian Jew (who keeps kosher) with no kids who also does not drink, then tell me which meetup group I should join.

That pretty much rules out bars, most restaurants (since I wouldn't be able to eat the food), and most groups for people my age since they're centered around drinking, children, or the eating of foods that I don't eat.

That leaves pyramid schemes and meat markets, which is about 90% of what I see on meetup.com anyway. Like I said to someone else, 3-4 years ago things were different. They aren't now.
There are a couple of very nice vegetarian meetup groups in Dallas. Why not try those?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 AM

653 posts, read 945,762 times
Quote:

That pretty much rules out bars, most restaurants (since I wouldn't be able to eat the food), and most groups for people my age since they're centered around drinking, children, or the eating of foods that I don't eat.

That leaves pyramid schemes and meat markets, which is about 90% of what I see on meetup.com anyway. Like I said to someone else, 3-4 years ago things were different. They aren't now.
I've been a vegetarian and / or vegan for 23 years (and at one point, a vegan raw foodie to boot), and I've always been a HUGE foodie (so I love to dine out . I've never been limited on where I can eat out. PM me if you want some tips!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM

653 posts, read 945,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
There are a couple of very nice vegetarian meetup groups in Dallas. Why not try those?
Exactly! In Baltimore I joined a Vegan Potluck (I wasn't even vegan anymore, I was a vegetarian at the time, but I still went) that was advertised at a local Buddhist place of worship that I attended, as well as on the message board of a local raw foodie restaurant (you may not be vegan, but see what's up there that interests you, and attend!).

I also have no children, am not suppose to drink (it doesn't agree with my insides, but I'll sneak a glass of wine once in a while ), I'm in my 30s, aside from the occasional night out with the girls at a lounge, I don't go to bars or dance clubs, and I have no problem meeting people. It just takes a little creativity. (Full disclaimer - It was written on my childhood report cards: Great student, but social butterfly

Though I'm not overly religious, I still attend a Greek Orthodox church (for mass, events, festivals, and fundraisers) to maintain those relationships.

I joined groups for my interests. What are some of yours? Google them, or read message boards.

I took some classes for fun that revolved around my hobbies (sailing, dancing, yoga, etc).

The owners of a few of the restaurants I frequent have become very close family friends. There are people every where. You just need to have your eyes open, and make small talk.

Let me just tell you how many other dog owners and NON-dog owners you meet at the local park. I go regularly and have a slew of non-dog owner and dog-owner friends alike from the park.

My neighbors have become some of my closest friends. When I first move (and I move often), I typically bake cookies and introduce myself to each of my neighbors. I'll throw inexpensive game nights and invite them over. Some you form long-lasting relationships with, some never show up, and that's okay too. You never know what's going on in their life.

The majority of my friends I met at the gym since I'm passionate about that and go regularly. What are your passions?

My closest friend is a former co-worker. And we now share similar friends as well, with her introducing me to her friends, and visa versa.

Oh, and volunteering. I do a ton of volunteering. It's good for the soul, the community, and you meet fascinating people!

Community events. Almost every community / park has them. Attend. My local park has movies during the summer nights. The park downtown does Shakespeare in the Park. The park in my old neighborhood had music on the weekends. If you go frequently, you'll see the same faces and make friends.

Professional associations are a fabulous way to make new friends, and to network with people in your industry. What do you do for a living? Find an association and join! Even better yet, become a board member so you're building your resume and experience at the same time!

The key is to have a positive attitude, frequent the same places (so you get to know people - and don't discount employees!, I'm tight with my hair dresser and baristas), and be out-going (be proactive in getting names, saying hi, asking about them, helping them when you can, eventually grabbing coffee together, etc).

Let me see if I can think of anything else (I'll keep adding as I do)...

Last edited by dclamb3; 01-16-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM

291 posts, read 674,689 times
Quote:

Just because you cannot find a meetup group that fits your needs - which are highly narrow and specific - does not mean that meetup.com is a joke. Perhaps you should form your own meet-up group.

Some of the things I did with meetup groups included going to movies, restaurants, happy hours, State Fair, live bands...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Also there are college alumni and fraternity/sorority groups - you can also get involved in a political campaign or a cause such as Habitat or join Preservation Dallas, etc...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:

Given your criteria, I dont know there is much left.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Yeah...I've tried most of those suggestions already, thanks. I'm still seriously considering leaving the area.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:54 PM

100 posts, read 282,494 times
Did anyone metion Dallas Sports Leagues? (used to be Dallas Sport and Social Club). I have been married for a while but I would want to meet a man/woman while playing a sport. If he/she can love you while stinky, they will really be impressed when you "clean up"
Since this is, after all, DALLAS (inject lots of sarcasm in the tone), most people meet (or allege to meet) at church. IMHO, it is a sacrilegde to use church if that is your reason for going, but the churches have huge successful single's groups, FYI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas