U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:35 AM

128 posts, read 177,069 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any home builders in the DFW area that build homes that does not utilize gas as heating. I can not accept that I would need to pay both an electic and gas bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 AM

4,128 posts, read 13,187,595 times
It's based on community not builder, there are few neighborhoods where the developers didn't bring in gas. Althought most people prefer to have gas heat and cook with gas because it's a little cheaper or more convenient. I really don't think it would be that much of an inconvenience to have to pay 2 different bills. As long as you get the right home with the amenities that you want.

Naima

Old 01-14-2012, 08:54 AM

813 posts, read 1,771,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30_miles View Post
Just wondering if there are any home builders in the DFW area that build homes that does not utilize gas as heating. I can not accept that I would need to pay both an electic and gas bill.
You'll pay A LOT more if you just have electricity, plus we find gas cooking to be much better.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 AM

27,610 posts, read 45,118,161 times
there are certain areas where gas pipelines were not that close and developers/builders did not lay pipe to bring NG into the communities to use for gasat all...but they are fairly rare...
there are other developments where there is gas for HVAC heating and water heaters (vs electric) but the cooking is done via electricity...

what you will find if you investigate more closely is that NG use for water heaters and HVAC heating is the most economical--
whether you pay one bill or two does not matter--you should be trying to find the BEST/most economical form to use for the functions in your home...

Indeed -- we have gas heating/water heaters/stovetop gas--and pay a higher Arkla bill in winter because the burden shifts from cooling (electric) to heating (gas)--but our electric bill drops because our AC is not running 24/7...

most people and scientists would agree that electric heating is much less efficient way to move hot air than gas heating...and in our area it is usually the more expensive choice for the same KWH...

Old 01-14-2012, 10:35 AM

19,651 posts, read 53,664,683 times
Another benefit is that a gas water heater will, on average, recover in about 1 hr while electric ones may take up to 6 hrs. That means if you use all the hot water up, you can have more hot water in about 1 hr if you have a gas one.

Also, you can have a gas line run to the patio so your BBQ gets hooked up to it. Much easier to push a button than start a wood fire. Then you put wood chips in a smoker over the jets and still have the wood smoke/taste.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 AM

And, with the new EPA rules potentially shutting down some of our state's coal fired power plants next summer could be horrible with rolling blackouts. At least you'd have gas to cook with.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:31 PM

9,524 posts, read 19,579,089 times
If you ever choose to go with a tankless water heater, you will DEFINITELY want the gas verson. The electric ones are not nearly as good as the gas ones. We switched to a gas tankless 2 years ago, and our gas bill has gone down by 1/3.

As others have said, gas heating is far less expensive than electric, and a gas stove/cooktop is much more sought-after than electric ones.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:29 PM

rolling blackout... with gas you can cook and bathe

we also have a gas tank-less water heater and it makes a huge dent in our bills

Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 PM

23,627 posts, read 31,265,068 times
I don't understand why you WOULDN'T want gas, you're mad...seriously...for all of the reasons listed above.

For me a house not having gas is a deal-breaker.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't understand why you WOULDN'T want gas, you're mad...seriously...for all of the reasons listed above.

For me a house not having gas is a deal-breaker.
Maybe he/she works for Reliant? Or is too lazy to pay 2 bills on line?

We moved from an all electric house to a gas/electric house and are loving it. Like I said, cooking with gas is a breeze and we're saving money on our bills. It sounds like gas is going to go down even more with all the new discoveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or