U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM

9,616 posts, read 17,792,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The dogs were not locked in the trunck. They were in the back seat with the seats folded down with access to the trunk. The cops could have looked throught he windows and bust it instead of making so much damage to the car.
I believe this post. The cops & firemen screwed up & should pay for all the damage to the vehicle they caused (approx 5k). Public servants abusing their powers. UGH !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 6,095,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I believe this post. The cops & firemen screwed up & should pay for all the damage to the vehicle they caused (approx 5k). Public servants abusing their powers. UGH !
Saving some defenseless dogs from cruel owners is abusing their powers? Not even the owners themselves said anything about the back seat being down. It's completely made up by nsumner out of thin air.

These people are idiots. They still don't think they did anything wrong. Locking your dogs in the trunk is cruel even if it's 55F. It's a small dark space with no fresh air. I'm not even sure how long 2 dogs can survive in a trunk before suffocating.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,492,146 times
OK, so you can leave a dog locked up in a crate all day while you're at work but giving them free reign of the car in very mild weather for maybe 2 hours tops is considered cruel? I'm not a dog owner currently but I have been in the past and given the weather at the time and apparent length of time the dogs were in the vehicle, I don't feel like they were in harm's way.

Also, can't the cops/fire dept. attempt to find the vehicle's owner? Considering the car wasn't on fire or anything, they could have spared a few extra minutes, ran the plates and attempt to contact the owners or gone into local businesses and asked around.

I understand opening the trunk rather than breaking glass (which could potentially harm the animals) but I still disagree with their actions. It seems as though protocol was thrown out the window which they will play off on them having to make a judgement call based on the situation blah blah blah copspeak.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM

4,128 posts, read 13,203,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
It's completely made up by nsumner out of thin air.
Yes completely made up cuz I'm off my meds.
Here's the follow up interview from the ower's mouth where he says that the backseat was down wfaa.com | Video, Dallas - Fort Worth Video, News Video, Featured Video

Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM

207 posts, read 425,412 times
my husband is a police officer. he didn't know the story so i just told him briefly what happened. he said "why didnt' they go into the restaurant to find out who the owners were?" he also said, "it's hard to say what i would do because i wasn't there." either way, whether right or wrong, none of us know the full story. who the heck knows what really went on?? i do know that neither my husband or my brother in law (firefighter) would never abuse their powers. i also know neither one of them are dense either! :P

Old 01-15-2012, 03:29 PM

828 posts, read 1,409,364 times
They were A BLOCK away and no one knew how long they had been in the car and WHERE the owners were. I suppose they could go from place to place, BUT who knew IF the owner was in the business's or not and MAYBE the car had been stolen and abandoned [Bet NONE thought about THAT little deal did they?] IF the back seat was down as the owner said WHY would the FD feel the need to open the trunk [glass pops are easier to use and safer all around as well as a slim jim] I think the seat was up and pups in the trunk out of sight of anyone who wanted to steal them, [AFTER ALL the owner himslf said they were worth at least a thousand bucks] Slim jim and window pop is easier and less time consuming then using a Haligan [NOT a crowbar as was stated]

Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,525,014 times
Read the article. It says they put the dogs in their car, not the trunk. Granted the trunk is in the car, but that's not the kind of tidbit of information you leave out of a news article. It would have changed the story completely.

People freak out way too much about dogs being locked in cars. On a warm or hot day, it's stupid and the actions by the cops and firemen would have been warranted. When it's in the 50s, it's absolutely ridiculous and they should have to pay for damages. Go hop in your car on a day when it's in the 50s after it's been parked for a few hours and tell me it's a sweltering inferno inside it. It's 64 degrees right now and I'm sure I could bear to sit in my car for any amount of time (except for the boredom).

Old 01-15-2012, 06:24 PM

828 posts, read 1,409,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Read the article. It says they put the dogs in their car, not the trunk. Granted the trunk is in the car, but that's not the kind of tidbit of information you leave out of a news article. It would have changed the story completely.

People freak out way too much about dogs being locked in cars. On a warm or hot day, it's stupid and the actions by the cops and firemen would have been warranted. When it's in the 50s, it's absolutely ridiculous and they should have to pay for damages. Go hop in your car on a day when it's in the 50s after it's been parked for a few hours and tell me it's a sweltering inferno inside it. It's 64 degrees right now and I'm sure I could bear to sit in my car for any amount of time (except for the boredom).
THEN why did the witness say they heard them barking from THE TRUNK? IF they were seen in the VEHICLE the Firefighters would NOT have pried the trunk. They would have opened the Doors!! They won't pry the trunk open for the joy of it

Old 01-15-2012, 07:44 PM

23,641 posts, read 31,353,217 times
I wasn't there and all I know is what I've read in online articles. From what I understand, the dogs were in the trunk of the car and the owners were nowhere around. I don't blame the police/FD for doing what they did.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,288,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uh....from what I hear, he put his Yorkies in the trunk of the car. There is no way that can be considered acceptable regardless of the weather.

I agree. Since they were stupid and selfish enough to put them in the trunk then they should be responsible for the consequences. Had they not locked them in the trunk in the first place and then, to make it worse, left the car unattended a block away, where they couldn't be reached or watch the car, it never would have happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or