U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,285 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket in Southlake at Pearson and Southlake Blvd.. The yellow light length seems to be shortened at this intersection. I entered as the light turned yellow and it immediately turned red. The video provided made it appear that I entered the intersection on red but this is because yellow turns to red in an instant. I haven't had a traffic ticket in 15 years and this makes me nervous to drive through Southlake. I went through the Pearson intersection this week and it happened again. Another ticket is probably on the way. I am hoping there is an agency where this type of irregularity can be reported. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM

100 posts, read 225,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadeepsix View Post
Got my first red light ticket after 20 years of driving...took a right in Southlake on FM 1709 the day before Xmas. Didn't come to a full stop, no oncoming traffic, just your basic right on red. GOt a citation in the mail for $75 with an online link where I can see the incident occur, etc.

Researched this online and there are a lot of complaints about this "money maker of a scam." To wit there's no way out of it; one guy on some forum states that he arranged a court hearing, but there's no trial by jury for this in Southlake. Instead he had to proclaim his side to (biased) officials of the city, including a "rookie" police officer, all of course who found him guilty.

The more I read the angrier I get. The red light cameras have been banned in many cities due to safey reasons -- people become so afraid of them that they slam on their brakes at yellow and cause rear-end collisions. The more you read, the more unjust Southlake's policy sounds.

So here's my question -- the citation states that this will not go on my record or to my insurance agency, nor will it be reported to the police as it is a civil fine only. It states however that if I don't pay by next month, I'll get a $25 fee, and "may" be reported to a collection agency "and/or" reported to the county assessor-collector or the Texas Department of Transportation who "may" refuse to register a motor vehicle alleged to have been involved in the violation.

Sounds like a lot of "mays" in there to me...and all of it verbiage from Southlake's official policies. So does anyone know? Do they actually report you to a collection agency over $25?? Would the assessor-collector really refuse to register my car over a "right on red" violation in Southlake Texas?

As a claims adjuster, I just have too many concerns about all of this to stay quiet.
1. You have to stop at a red light. Period. That's the law. At no point in the Texas (or any state's) driving code does it say that a red light means 'stop only if there are cars coming'. In almost every accident I have have ever worked- and there have been thousands- at least one of the parties states that the other party came 'out of nowhere'. Always amusing to me. People will also say that the other car/pedestrain was 'not there'- clearly they WERE there or no accident would have occurred. In some of these cases, the at fault party didn't stop because "there were no cars coming". Sometimes, someone's kid dies. Or someone's wife dies. You get the picture.
2. You stated that cars slam on their brakes and "cause a rear end accident". A car stopping does not cause a rear end accident. The car behind the stopping vehicle being too close and/or not paying attention causes the accident. A reasonably prudent driver pays attention, and leaves one car length for every 10 miles per hour between himself and the car in front. This is just basic physics. I am not making this up, only reporting the laws of physics that do not change in Southlake or any other city with cameras on the light controls

As a citizen also, I have some unfortunate comments that parlay what others have said.
1. They do turn into warrants
2. They are reported to insurance
3. They will make your premium increase
4. You will not be able to register your car
5. They are not kidding
I have experienced an unfortunate amount of personal tickets, and some, yes, from the stupid light cameras. Not just in the DFW area, but in other cities and states as well. They are definitely a money maker for the cities and counties, but they also are absolutely true in what they measure- people running red lights. We could also go on and on about the speed detection thing-ys which can give you a ticket. The bottom line is that we have to do our best to obey the laws of the road and the laws of physics while we are driving a vehicle. There is an accident every 7 seconds in DFW. Knowing that, we are responsible adults who take ours and others lives in our hands each time we go to the corner store, school or work.
-Sopa box complete-

Old 06-15-2013, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 33,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by towhomitmayconcern View Post
I got a ticket for the same thing and I had never had a ticket before. I've been driving 10 years now. I was upset about that one, because it ruined my perfect record. I know it doesn't go on your record if you pay it, but my own personal record to myself (silly I know). I was at fault though, and so whatever. I paid it and moved on. I just got my second ticket in 2 months. I thought there had to be a mistake, because I over exaggerate my stops at that specific light now. I viewed the video and a truck in front of me ran the red light after it had just turned red. I clearly couldn't see, since the truck obstructed my view of the light. This is ridiculous. No cop would have given tickets for either of these offenses. It's just some person sitting on their butt watching the video that doesn't have any relation to the police department (it's a private run company that monitors those cameras). They get it signed off by a cop. It's so wrong and gets my blood boiling.
well, Don't you think you were following too closely. Because, if you were following too closely, you could not see the light and isn't that your mistake? If you are running a light without noticing, you could have caused some serious accidents!

Old 06-15-2013, 11:41 AM

29 posts, read 31,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas is only OK View Post
As a claims adjuster, I just have too many concerns about all of this to stay quiet.
1. You have to stop at a red light. Period. That's the law. At no point in the Texas (or any state's) driving code does it say that a red light means 'stop only if there are cars coming'. In almost every accident I have have ever worked- and there have been thousands- at least one of the parties states that the other party came 'out of nowhere'. Always amusing to me. People will also say that the other car/pedestrain was 'not there'- clearly they WERE there or no accident would have occurred. In some of these cases, the at fault party didn't stop because "there were no cars coming". Sometimes, someone's kid dies. Or someone's wife dies. You get the picture.
2. You stated that cars slam on their brakes and "cause a rear end accident". A car stopping does not cause a rear end accident. The car behind the stopping vehicle being too close and/or not paying attention causes the accident. A reasonably prudent driver pays attention, and leaves one car length for every 10 miles per hour between himself and the car in front. This is just basic physics. I am not making this up, only reporting the laws of physics that do not change in Southlake or any other city with cameras on the light controls

As a citizen also, I have some unfortunate comments that parlay what others have said.
1. They do turn into warrants
2. They are reported to insurance
3. They will make your premium increase
4. You will not be able to register your car
5. They are not kidding
I have experienced an unfortunate amount of personal tickets, and some, yes, from the stupid light cameras. Not just in the DFW area, but in other cities and states as well. They are definitely a money maker for the cities and counties, but they also are absolutely true in what they measure- people running red lights. We could also go on and on about the speed detection thing-ys which can give you a ticket. The bottom line is that we have to do our best to obey the laws of the road and the laws of physics while we are driving a vehicle. There is an accident every 7 seconds in DFW. Knowing that, we are responsible adults who take ours and others lives in our hands each time we go to the corner store, school or work.
-Sopa box complete-
I was wondering if anyone was going to chime in and point out that red means you need to stop first.

With all the new medians, rolling through a red light creates a dangerous (and frustrating!) situation for those with a green arrow to turn left at the cross streets. Look for those flipping u-turns as well as oncoming traffic before you turn right on red!

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,076 times
Just got a right-on-red ticket in Southlake. No one comes to a full and complete stop if there is no one there. It's a slow and steady creeping out until you see and move on. No police officer would write a ticket for this. I've done a great deal of research, and I'm very simply not paying it. Sadly, this has ruined my opinion of Southlake. I used to go there for all of my shopping. I've spent a lot of money in Southlake. I just can't bring myself to spend my time there any more.

Talk about ruining a city's income. No one wants to be harassed. No one is going to come to your city any more, Southlake!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM

2 posts, read 2,076 times
No hon, they don't turn into warrants in Texas. They are a civil matter. The only thing they can do is request that the county tax assessor not allow you to renew your vehicle registration and my county tax assess says everything about this is illegal and that he will not be enforcing any of it. Look it up. His name is Ron Wright -- Tarrant County Tax Assessor. Don't assume you know every law in every state. You're wrong.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times
state law prohibits these unpaid tickets from affecting your credit score, and a recent decision by Tarrant County not to get involved in collecting those fees has made the program's lack of teeth glaring.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,887 times
Texas state law prohibits these unpaid tickets from affecting your credit score, and a recent decision by Tarrant County not to get involved in collecting those fees has made the program's lack of teeth glaring.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM

1,161 posts, read 738,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsynj View Post
Just got a right-on-red ticket in Southlake. No one comes to a full and complete stop if there is no one there. It's a slow and steady creeping out until you see and move on. No police officer would write a ticket for this. I've done a great deal of research, and I'm very simply not paying it. Sadly, this has ruined my opinion of Southlake. I used to go there for all of my shopping. I've spent a lot of money in Southlake. I just can't bring myself to spend my time there any more.

Talk about ruining a city's income. No one wants to be harassed. No one is going to come to your city any more, Southlake!
I got a $75 bill from Irving for similar violation. There is a camera on belt line and MacArthur with very strong flash. It scares me out whenever I see a flash going on while taking turn. Stopping on red before taking free right turn is a rule. Spouse failed driving test for not following this specific rule.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Mvc

173 posts, read 134,942 times
Red light camera tickets do NOT turn into warrants, that is misinformation.

Only thing they can do (but it's unclear whether this is done) is not renew your registration or license when it's time for renewal and you haven't paid a red light camera ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas