U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM

49 posts, read 102,464 times

Advertisements

Greyday, no need for the flamesuit My budget is higher than $1300, I definitely don't want my kids to be "apartment kids" much longer so I'm hoping I can sale my home in IL, which I've rented for several years and buy a home in the 250s - 300s range within a year ... hopefully.

My children go to Frisco ISD right now not Plano schools, but there have been issues as mentioned. They understand they won't be the richest, they will be the minority in most situations throughout life. This is how I grew up, this is how I manage through Corporate America everyday so I'm preparing them.

Where are these Dallas Magnet schools located? My job opportunity is in Irving, TX, I need to be comfortably located near Irving in order to make this work and I came across the city Coppell which was very similar to my hometown but demographics reversed. Hence my original post. I was looking for great schools, small community and family oriented.

Not sure marriage is anywhere in the cards for me anytime soon but nice to know it may be an option somewhere long long long down the line if I stay in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,805,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post

You're really making more of a lateral move to Coppell. Are the kids able to test into a Dallas Magnet school? That would allow your housing budget to go a bit further/farther?
200K gets a lot of house in Coppell these days.

Coppell is much more of a community than Frisco is. And the schools are much better. And the churches are much more involved - and there are more denominations.

So its not a lateral move but a step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
It doesn't seem that the small town in Illinois is better from an education or career standpoint. If you are looking to marry down the line, you may have an easier time finding a partner in Dallas than the land of milk and honey.
Are you proposing, Grey-man?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:27 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,693,182 times
I don't live in the Metroplex....yet, and don't have kids, but my .02 worth is that you should stay put. Your kids need stability more than anything else, IMO. Yes, if the schools would be changing anyway, move to a different part of the area. But also, if your professional future would be in doubt back in IL, that is another good reason to stay in TX. You've got to continue your career path in order to provide well for your kids. In time, I'm sure your oldest son will find a circle of good friends. GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 PM

UpstateBooster, thanks so much for the advice you are right on so many different levels. Now if I could only make a final final decision ... I still have time, I just want to get it RIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I don't live in the Metroplex....yet, and don't have kids, but my .02 worth is that you should stay put. Your kids need stability more than anything else, IMO. Yes, if the schools would be changing anyway, move to a different part of the area. But also, if your professional future would be in doubt back in IL, that is another good reason to stay in TX. You've got to continue your career path in order to provide well for your kids. In time, I'm sure your oldest son will find a circle of good friends. GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:10 AM

13 posts, read 37,254 times
Default What did you decide?

Hi Nicolenh,

I am in a similar situation as you. My job moved me here from Illinois August 2011 and now I have the opportunity to move back keeping my job and being closer to family. I am not totally sold on Texas yet but the thought of going back to Illinois does not make me jump either. We are an African American family with three kids ages 13, 11, and 8 and the jury is still out with them. We are in the Watauga area which I like just feels like I will never meet friends and miss my family (mom,brother, extended family back home). Just wondering what did you decide and what was some of the factors that made you sway in one direction over another.

All the best!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Default Still Here

Thomasfamilymove2009, we are still here in Frisco and making things work. The main thing that swayed me to stay is the education system, I decided not to move to Coppell again not wanting to change my kids school and social experience. I miss my family too and yes it is difficult to meet friends, but as much as I miss family/social it still isn't enough to return to Illinois. I have found additional support in the sports programs here and church. I sent you more information via a private message. I wish you all the best as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasfamilymove2009 View Post
Hi Nicolenh,

I am in a similar situation as you. My job moved me here from Illinois August 2011 and now I have the opportunity to move back keeping my job and being closer to family. I am not totally sold on Texas yet but the thought of going back to Illinois does not make me jump either. We are an African American family with three kids ages 13, 11, and 8 and the jury is still out with them. We are in the Watauga area which I like just feels like I will never meet friends and miss my family (mom,brother, extended family back home). Just wondering what did you decide and what was some of the factors that made you sway in one direction over another.

All the best!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 PM

186 posts, read 357,715 times
I do not understand why OP mentioned Plano several time? Her children go to Frisco ISD that has nothing in common with Plano ISD at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or