U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,182,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Yeah, DISD schools are generally not up to snuff, although there are some exceptions. They're certainly nowhere near HPISD status. I think 30K is the highest end for private, but even at a "mere" 15K/yr per kid....

Obviously, Plano/Southlake/Flower Mound publics are good enough to not require private schools.

IIRC, you're moving down from Chicago? (my apologies if I'm mistaken). In general, per test score numbers and other links TC80 has supplied int he past, most of the higher range Chicago suburban school districts (North to NW burbs) are below HP, about evenish with Plano West, and above Southlake/Flower Mound. TC80 had a link to "top 500 high schools" and HPHS was extremely well rated (30-something?), Plano West was ~#98. Most of the good Chicago schools (New Trier, Stevenson, Fremd out in Palatine and I think Maine South and Mt. Prospect were in there as well, can't recall the others) were around the low to mid 100's, with an occasional one in the high 100's/low 200's. Carroll Senior was around #249.

Obviously, one can nitpick various rating systems (New Trier's SAT/ACT's are above HPHS, but it ranks lower in AP test metrics), but that can give you an idea where everything falls.
Yeah, I'm moving from Chicago. I went to a HS in a Chicago suburb (western suburb) and I turned out just fine. Not the best HS, definitely WELL below any of the schools in FM/Southlake/HP/UP/Keller.

Those ISD are ALL upgrades from what I went through. I think personal motivation and parents' involvement is crucial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,603,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
Yeah, I'm moving from Chicago. I went to a HS in a Chicago suburb (western suburb) and I turned out just fine. Not the best HS, definitely WELL below any of the schools in FM/Southlake/HP/UP/Keller.

Those ISD are ALL upgrades from what I went through. I think personal motivation and parents' involvement is crucial.
Welcome from the land of mild and honey. Missing Ravenna already?

If your kid is exceptional (and they'll have to prove it) Dallas' two magnets Talented and the Engineering school are the BEST schools in the area SAT-wise. So public school isn't completely out, but it's not a sure-shot either.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM

440 posts, read 960,365 times
I was responding to another thread on the FW forum and found the following statistics relevant for comparision.

Here are the avg. price/ sq.ft for houses between 500-750K and the avg.days on market as of date for the areas and price range you are looking for:

Flower Mound: $ 138.56 ( 88 days)
Southlake: $ 145.46 (101 days)
Keller : $ 146.16 (147 days)
University Park: $ 303.62 (135 days)

Old 01-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Not to poke holes but at the 500-750k price in Park cities you're looking at condos, duplexes or tiny, older cottages which def skews days on market. And the numbers are small, not a great comparo.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM

267 posts, read 366,641 times
The park cities duplexes aren't exactly like the duplexes you might be used to... many of them are 3500 sq ft +, all built in appliances, 4 bedrooms 4.5 baths, third floor game room, 2500 sq ft of hardwood, etc..

And almost all of the ones build in the last 20 years have firewalls between the two units, meaning you never hear anything from your neighbor, ever.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
The park cities duplexes aren't exactly like the duplexes you might be used to... many of them are 3500 sq ft +, all built in appliances, 4 bedrooms 4.5 baths, third floor game room, 2500 sq ft of hardwood, etc..

And almost all of the ones build in the last 20 years have firewalls between the two units, meaning you never hear anything from your neighbor, ever.
True, a few off NW are like 4000 sq ft and decently priced. But some people have an issue with them (I lived in a row house before and they are huge compared to that). But things being equal you'll likely see a slightly better price per sq ft. but a bit longer on the market, but the big ones do seem to sell.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM

267 posts, read 366,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
True, a few off NW are like 4000 sq ft and decently priced. But some people have an issue with them (I lived in a row house before and they are huge compared to that). But things being equal you'll likely see a slightly better price per sq ft. but a bit longer on the market, but the big ones do seem to sell.
There are plenty of 3000-4000 sq ft SFA's with very modern/high end finish outs around the middle school and around the high school too. The are some right by northwest highway (on "northwest pkwy" or whatever) that are on 70's lots and are like 5500+ sq ft...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or