U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM

197 posts, read 456,904 times

Advertisements

I was out yesterday visiting a new community in Lewisville by Mercedes Homes. I like the neighborhood alot, and they have about 8 different floor plans to choose from. One thing I noticed in their plans is that they have several plans with the Master bedroom upstairs, which wasn't alarming, I've seen that several times. The bigger thing that was surprising is that they had 3 or 4 floorplans in which the Master bedroom was in the front of the house. You basically walk in the front door and foyer, and the Master bedroom is the first room you come to, followed by dining, family, etc. I was a little confused, as I am much more used to Master bedroom in the back of the house and maybe a 2nd bedroom towards the front of the house. Does anyone why the builder would have plans with the master bedroom in the front of the house? Is there a benefit? Or, said another way, is it bad to have that in the front? Just thinking about resale down the road. Since the community seems to be made up of a mix of empty nesters downsizing, single young professionals, and young families, I don't think the master up would hurt the resale value in that area and could actually be a good thing for many future buyers. Just a little puzzled by the master bedroom in the front. Thanks for any feedback!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 12:41 PM

59 posts, read 129,077 times
A requirement I have in a home is that the family room overlook the back yard. I also want the kitchen to look out into the family room. So, if you are going to have the master downstairs, then, well, something has to be at the front besides the dining room! I guess it depends on how exactly it is laid out. The door to the master should not be right by the front door. But, having my master br windows look out to the front yard would be fine with me.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern1979 View Post
A requirement I have in a home is that the family room overlook the back yard. I also want the kitchen to look out into the family room. So, if you are going to have the master downstairs, then, well, something has to be at the front besides the dining room! I guess it depends on how exactly it is laid out. The door to the master should not be right by the front door. But, having my master br windows look out to the front yard would be fine with me.
Interesting that you mention that. Maybe it is for a view of the front yard. As a matter of fact, I remember walking through a couple of these floorplans and even the private "toilet room" in the master bathroom had a window in it (which faced the front yard as well). I remember thinking to myself, "why would someone want a window in the toilet room?"

As far as the positioning of the door, here are the different setups: In one floorplan, you walk in the front door, dining room is to left off of foyer, walk through foyer and the door to master bedroom is in front of you (remaininder of house is to the right). In two other floorplans, you walk in front door, through foyer, to left is a hallway to powder room, and master bedroom is to the left off of that hallway. One other floorplan, you walk in the entry, through the foyer, and the door to the master bedroom is off of the foyer to the left. Also, keep in mind that these are patio homes, so they are narrow, deep/long homes, as opposed to wide homes. That may help with thinking about the layout.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM

59 posts, read 129,077 times
Bathroom window would not be a deal breaker for me, I would just make sure I had really good quality curtains and/or blinds! Depending on the window, another option would be to replace the window with stained glass.

I would have to see all three to really understand. I am pretty sure that option 2 would be fine with me.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM

4 posts, read 39,173 times
Our previous house had the master in the front. The only problem with that was that it was also right next to the neighbor's garage, which was occasionally noisy if they came home late at night.

The master is in the back of our current home, which sadly backs up to the only house in the neighborhood with a rear entry garage. I wouldn't have done it differently, but these people with their ginormous trucks and motorcycles at 6am make it a bit less desirable.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
Wife and I looked at a delightful home in Allen, great price, but with the master in the front. I wouldn't consider it because of having street noise (even a side street has noise) at night. Current house has master bed, bath, family room, kitchen and nook all along the back, up to a creek. Dead silent. Office in the front where I can watch my neighbors and snoop.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella bee View Post
Our previous house had the master in the front. The only problem with that was that it was also right next to the neighbor's garage, which was occasionally noisy if they came home late at night.

The master is in the back of our current home, which sadly backs up to the only house in the neighborhood with a rear entry garage. I wouldn't have done it differently, but these people with their ginormous trucks and motorcycles at 6am make it a bit less desirable.
Thanks, Isabella. That's too bad about your current situation. That can't be fun, especially early in the morning. In the community I'm referencing, all of the garages are rear entry, and the master bedrooms face the front yard, so no issues there. You know, I wonder if that's why Mercedes made several floorplans with the master in front - the garage is also in the back, so maybe it's so you're away from the noise of the back of the house. Just a thought. I will ask the sales rep at the community. Besides the fact that you had the occasional neighbor's garage noise next door, did you like the layout with the master in front?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
Wife and I looked at a delightful home in Allen, great price, but with the master in the front. I wouldn't consider it because of having street noise (even a side street has noise) at night. Current house has master bed, bath, family room, kitchen and nook all along the back, up to a creek. Dead silent. Office in the front where I can watch my neighbors and snoop.
That's what my initial confusion was....I was thinking people wouldn't want noise from the street with cars driving by, etc. I will say that, apparently, there are quite a few people who don't mind master in front, I guess, as they have sold plenty of these homes (looks like a mix of all of the floor plans are in the community). They only have 30 lots left and are anticipating entering close-out stage this summer.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 39,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginasmu View Post
Thanks, Isabella. That's too bad about your current situation. That can't be fun, especially early in the morning. In the community I'm referencing, all of the garages are rear entry, and the master bedrooms face the front yard, so no issues there. You know, I wonder if that's why Mercedes made several floorplans with the master in front - the garage is also in the back, so maybe it's so you're away from the noise of the back of the house. Just a thought. I will ask the sales rep at the community. Besides the fact that you had the occasional neighbor's garage noise next door, did you like the layout with the master in front?
I did like it in that house. It was a small house and the master bedroom was close to the front door, but it worked so well because our bedroom was separate from the rest of the bedrooms.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM

813 posts, read 1,766,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobtx View Post
It's a little noisy and not very private.
Yes, I like having the master in the back where I can put a lock on the fence's gate and feel safer. In the front, who knows? Sure, someone could break the glass and get in, but they'd have a journey to us, and I'd have a 12 gauge and 38 waiting for them.

For me it's all about the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas