U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 PM

101 posts, read 274,746 times

Advertisements

I know that there has been quite a few shows and movies filmed in Dallas but when it comes to places like LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami and Atlanta, Dallas is underrated. I know Dallas will never compete with LA for film but do you think the DFW will gain film credit like Atlanta has? Is it possible and does Dallas have any upcoming projects to help get the ball rolling on this? I think that Dallas could because its clean, has beautiful places, has a huge population and is a major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 AM

11,691 posts, read 21,345,596 times
I don't think of Atlanta as having a lot of "film credit." I can only think of "Real Housewives".....

We'll see what happens in 2012 with the new "Dallas" and "GCB" both being new shows with a lot of Dallas filming. There was a cop show set here last year that flopped within a few weeks.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,387,252 times
No, Dallas won't attain Atlanta's status in the eyes of Hollywood.

Dallas (for all I love it) is not a picturesque place. Atlanta is. Not only that, Atlanta is viewed as the place to be by black celebs. There have been some celebs that have lived here and do live here, but nothing huge.

Austin, if any place will be the film magnet in Texas.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 AM

306 posts, read 402,848 times
Dallas spent too many years uninterested and allowed Austin to become the Texas Film capital, though it is getting better. I have spent a lot of time doing movie extra work in Dallas though I was using that time to study great directors like Leonard Katzman(Gunsmoke - Dallas, J.R. Returns - Walker, Texas Ranger). Even Prison Break people said they were glad to leave Dallas and get back to Los Angeles. I think a better night life would help. Dallas wants to become an international city but can't quite get there. Especially with mayors like Laura Miller doing things like running off The Dallas Cowboys. Jerry wanted to bring them to a totally remodeled cotton bowl but Miller appeared to have her own agenda.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:46 AM

110 posts, read 202,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don't think of Atlanta as having a lot of "film credit." I can only think of "Real Housewives".....

We'll see what happens in 2012 with the new "Dallas" and "GCB" both being new shows with a lot of Dallas filming. There was a cop show set here last year that flopped within a few weeks.
I know most of the Tyler Perry catalog is filmed in Atlanta. But according to IMDB, it is indeed quite a popular filming location:

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Atlanta, Georgia, USA"

But I was surprised to see Dallas isn't far behind:

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Dallas, Texas, USA"

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,266,415 times
Where to start?: "The Walking Dead," "Zombieland," "the Blind Side," "Footloose," "Get Low," "Life As We Know It." Dallas-Fort Worth does OK with TV, especially reality TV, but Georgia does far better with movies.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,869,669 times
Developer Jack Matthews Among Those Partnering to Build Movie, TV Studio in Cedars - Dallas News - Unfair Park

Jack Matthews Talks For the First Time About In-the-Works TV, Movie Studio in the Cedars - Dallas News - Unfair Park

The Studios at Las Colinas Not Reel Happy With Dallas's Efforts to Build Studio in Cedars - Dallas News - Unfair Park

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM

64 posts, read 206,905 times
I noticed a scene from "The tree of life" was filmed outside the Hyatt Regency in Dallas.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM

664 posts, read 1,414,321 times
I really have nothing to add except for a moment of silence for "The Good Guys." Man, I loved that show...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,705,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas (for all I love it) is not a picturesque place. Atlanta is. Not only that, Atlanta is viewed as the place to be by black celebs.
Aye, there's the rub... Like it or not, believe it or not, that's the heart of it. Atlanta can have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or