U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 10,698 times

Advertisements

I didn't know there was a forest in Dallas. I wonder why nobody ever talks about it. Wait. Yes I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,129,515 times
I will dig up the Youtube link that shows whitetail deer and feral hogs living in the city of Dallas city limits.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,515,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtX4415 View Post
Other then the audubon center the only parking areas now are 4900 River Oaks Dr. and the Loop 12 boat ramp at 4600 S. Loop 12 (Great Trinity Forest Way)

The other trails back up to neighborhoods, so the best thing to do is to read the blog that was posted to help with your question, parking access is mentioned on the posts.
I looked at the map on there but it doesn't have much detail. I have looked at a lot of posts on that blog though and will be looking at more. I saw where it was talking about being miles from civilization and that's kind of what I'm shooting for. It would be an added bonus if I could camp out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I will dig up the Youtube link that shows whitetail deer and feral hogs living in the city of Dallas city limits.
I saw some of that on the blog as well as bobcats and coyotes. We had all of those in East Texas but it's crazy to know they can be found within the city of Dallas.

Oh, and I saw prints today in the forest that I think were made by hogs.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,795,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
What is Turtle Creek?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
What is Turtle Creek?
I don't know where this question came from, but it's a creek that runs through Uptown and the park cities. The feral hogs have been making trouble around White Rock Creek in northeast Dallas.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,117,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
I looked at the map on there but it doesn't have much detail. I have looked at a lot of posts on that blog though and will be looking at more. I saw where it was talking about being miles from civilization and that's kind of what I'm shooting for. It would be an added bonus if I could camp out.

I saw some of that on the blog as well as bobcats and coyotes. We had all of those in East Texas but it's crazy to know they can be found within the city of Dallas.

Oh, and I saw prints today in the forest that I think were made by hogs.

I'm sure you did. There have been many wild hog sitings in the forest. It's been written about either in the Observer or DMN, can't remember which. But they've definitely been a bit of a nuisance.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:55 PM

4,304 posts, read 11,129,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
What is Turtle Creek?

No this the area around McCommas landfill. The land this area is roughly between Loop12 and I-20 in the southern part of Dallas. A guy on Youtube posted video of whitetail deer and feral hogs living in the area.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM

988 posts, read 1,895,517 times
The OP really needs to check out the forums at dallasmetropolis.com

There are some posters who have thoroughly explored the actual trails and can give you much better insight on where to go and what you can see.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 AM

6 posts, read 11,251 times
I saw a feral hog while in my boat up White Rock Creek above NW Hwy last year. Having heard nothing about them being in the area, I was quite surprised. I don't think the hog heard anything about me being in the area, for he was pretty surprised, too.

The Great Trinity Forest is pretty cool. Last year I found what I'm almost certain was signs of an alligator, and deer tracks were surprisingly abundant. Years ago, it first occurred to me to check the place out after viewing it from an airplane. I had known it was there, but didn't realize how large and rich in wildlife it is.

Sometimes it stinks pretty badly, depending on the wind. There are safety issues - a while back I came real close to having to administer a sudden lead overdose/torso ventilation job to four young.....uh, urban males who became senselessly aggressive when I politely declined to support their tobacco habit. That one almost got real ugly. Another time, while eating a sammich in a quiet spot, I got surprised by a crackhead who would have given Dracula the creeps, but he was actually pretty friendly. He even offered me a hit off his pipe, but for some odd reason I declined.

Point is, you might want to have some sort of protection when checking out the GTF. Being well-protected has saved my bacon at least 6 times in 30 years of recreation in various quiet corners of this area. And, once in Arkansas, I almost got killed by a feral hog that would have sent me to the land of wind and ghosts had I not been prepared. Those hogs get real big and mean, and I still shudder when recalling that incident......the thing had to have weighed 400 lbs., but it moved like a border collie. I mean, dang! The notion that a giant freakin' wild hog might mangle one in the woods had never occurred to me.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
The OP really needs to check out the forums at dallasmetropolis.com

There are some posters who have thoroughly explored the actual trails and can give you much better insight on where to go and what you can see.
I'll have to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYowza View Post
Point is, you might want to have some sort of protection when checking out the GTF.
I've been wanting to get my license, but there's always something that has higher priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas