Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM

17 posts, read 117,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As we continue to contemplate a move from Austin to Dallas, we are considering the things our family enjoys about Austin and wondering about what they are like in Dallas, particularly in and around Lake Highlands, which has risen to the top of our list.

How are the public recreation facilities? We're wondering about the public/neighborhood pools, parks (playscapes for the little ones), children's sports leagues, etc. Are they nice and safe, or are they not well-kept? I know White Rock Lake isn't too far away - is it safe to run there alone, or are parts of the trail sketchy? What's the scoop on Fair Oaks Park (is it also known as Moss Park?) ?

What about the neighborhood associations in LH neighborhoods? Are they active and involved in fostering a sense of community, working with business developments to ensure they best meet neighborhood needs, etc.?

And also important - where nearby could we score some good coffee and dessert (or breakfast depending on time of day) in a family-friendly atmosphere? Good local restaurants in LH?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
I lived in LH for 8 years, grew up in Lakewood, and recently moved out of state due to my husband's job. We can't wait to get BACK to Dallas, and move right back into LH. I love it. There is such a fantastic sense of community there.

Last year, there was a great spraypark that was built. It's on Church road, at the LH North Recreation Center. Kids LOVE it. There are lots of parks around, as well. There's a great one right there at the spraypark. Another one over in Merriman Park, and other little ones dispersed throughout the area.

I used to run White Rock Lake during the day. I wouldn't ever do it at night, though.

There is the LH Soccer Association that most kids play in. There's also the LH YMCA which is a very nice facility. A lot of the kids do basketball and soccer through them, as well. Lake Highlands is VERY family friendly. I don't know how old your kids are, but you should look into www dot lhaecpta dot org. It's an early childhood pta, and is a great way to meet others. There are organized playgroups, outings, parties, and then there are adult interest groups too like game night, book clubs, etc.

The schools are in Richardson ISD. My daughter just completed Kindergarten at our neighborhood school, and she is reading at a 2nd grade level now. Schools to stay away from: Aikin, Northlake, Skyview to name a few. Merriman Park, Moss Haven, Wallace, White Rock and Lake Highlands are the best, and Wallace just recieved "exemplary".

To answer your neighborhood association question, almost all of them are very active with monthly meetings. You will get tons of information there.

The one drawback to LH is the fact that there are not a ton of restaurants. We always went to Lakewood. There is a great donut shop called LH Donuts, there's Highlands Cafe (next door), an El Fenix, and a few other little places. White Rock Coffee is supposed to be good, and it also has a drive thru. Sweet Temptations bakery and cafe has good sweets. If you want REALLY good sweets, I suggest you try Society Bakery in Lakewood. It is amazing! There are lots of restaurants in Lakewood, which is about 8 minutes away.

Please, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need anymore information. I was very, very involved in the LH community so I could put you in touch with a lot of different people, if need be. I highly recommend the area - we love it!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:12 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
Hey, Moxie. Another informative site is www dot lhaia dot org. It's a bit outdated right now, but it has a map of all the neighborhoods with HOA info as well as some general info. about the area.
I have found the rec centers and parks to be very nice and well kept -- the sprayground, like khfar said, is awesome! The elementary school playgrouds are nice, too. There are also a couple of very nice libraries in LH that have activities for kids like story time and craft days. LH is very close to the best medical care in Dallas (Presby) as well. I don't know much about pools since we have one in the back, but I know the rec center has one that seems nice, and the Y has a pool and there are a few membership pools (Knighs of Columbus, I think, is one?) that are reasonable to join and, from what I hear, a lot of fun.
Every neighborhood has a different association, but from what I can tell, most are active and tuned in. Our particular 'hood has a "Crime Patrol" where we pay off duty Dallas cops to drive around and patrol the area. There have not been any home break-ins in our area for years, and I think just one or two car break-ins on the street. People are out walking their dogs and jogging at all hours.
LH isn't a hot spot for dining, but I think that will change in the next few years. There is a newish area at Skillman and Walnut Hill where there is a Mi Cocina Mexican restaurant and an Italian place called Picasso's that we love as well as a smoothie place, a nail salon and a brand new LA Fitness that is really nice. One thing we DO have in LH that I missed while in Austin and Houston are Braum's ice cream and hamburger shops. The best burgers, fries, and ice cream in the world, and I think there are 2 or 3 just in LH. They also have good breakfast. Yum.
And, of course, we have our share of Starbuck's for a quick coffee fix. One of my favorite restaurants is not in LH, but close, and it's called Asian Mint. It's at Forest and Central Expwy. It's very fresh oriental food (think Thai rather than Chinese) as well as great sushi. In that area there are also several fast food places, a Dickie's bbq and a few other things (including a Schlotzky's).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,094 times
OH, there is also a Central Market just south of LH on Greenville Ave at Lover's (I think?). I go in there and feel (almost) like I'm in Austin again. Sigh....

Old 07-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Oh, how I am missing my Picasso's right now! I used to order from them at least twice a week. You know that they keep your CC number on file, right? It makes it SO easy to phone in an order to be delivered!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM

The wait list for the Knights of Columbus pool is about 2-3 years. Trust me, I waited for a long time before we got in! But, it is SO worth it. FULL of neighborhood kids, and it has a water slide, baby pool and a grill so you can order food. If you end up moving to LH, I would suggest getting on the list ASAP.

The Y pool is all indoors, so it's not much fun in the summer. Same with LA Fitness.

Good luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM

17 posts, read 117,652 times
Thanks for all of this great information! Y'all rock!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Not too far away, just a few miles south on Abrams is Legal Grounds... the best breakfast in the metroplex, IMO. Promcakes. Gives me chills just saying it. Oatmeal pancakes with thin slices of bananas cooked inside them, then granola and apple praline sauce on top. My wife and I go there several times each month.

We moved to Lake Highlands last August. We've loved it here. We plan to stay here a VERY long time. It's not only a great residential community, but it's going to continue to appreciate at a nice clip. It's quiet and has great accessibility. White Rock trail comes right through our area. There's a Town Center project that'll be done 2010-2011, along with a DART rail station (located at Walnut Hill/Skillman), across the street from LA Fitness, Picasso's and Mi Cocina. They're adding a trail spur to cut through the Town Center also, so yet even more accessibility.

Another place we love eating is Tony's on Northwest Highway. Great prices, great food and it's BYOB (we bring a bottle of wine - not even a corking fee!). Service is a little slow, but just know that going in and all is well. The stromboli is like $5 and is definitely 2 meals and is AWESOME!

Not too far away, south on Greenville near Lovers Lane is Royal Thai. IMO, the best Thai food in Dallas... I can't order anything but the Pad Thai... mmm....

There I go, talking about food again...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:57 PM

10 posts, read 77,070 times
I am relocating to Dallas soon and I am also looking closely at Lake Highlands. I was wondering if I can get information on condominium developments in this area. I noticed that there are a lot of apartment communities but, are they mostly leased properties vs. purchased? Also, are there are lot of conversions (leased apartments turned/being turned into condos for purchase)? I am attracted to this area because there seems to be a lot of up and coming development and I am coming from a city (Royal Oak, MI) that has gone through a similar revitalization in the last 5-7 years and would like to relocate into the "ground floor" of a similar kind of revitalization.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:25 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Wow - moving from Royal Oak, MI?! I grew up downriver (Gibraltar, Woodhaven, etc) and a buddy of mine still lives there. Royal Oak was probably more like Deep Ellum is now. Lake Highlands is very much more residential. Royal Oak had the clubs and alternative crowds that then turned to yuppies as the transition took hold.

I know more of the single family areas in LH - dont know a whole lot about apartment/condo/conversion areas. I live very close to Skillman/Walnut Hill where the town center project will be - so I think I'm located in a very desirable area should the town center really ignite things.

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas