U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,513,647 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hiking this area of Dallas. I've found this map but it doesn't show where to park and enter the trails. I know the forest is mostly surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods in Dallas so I don't want to leave my car in a bad location. It would be even better if there was a train station near one of the trail heads. What advice can you give me in exploring this large urban forest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 05:04 PM

250 posts, read 447,468 times
Oh yeah, it's kind of close to the sphincter of Dallas - South Dallas. It's not only on the "southern end" of Dallas, but it's also got a lot of crime and a lot of blighted neighborhoods.

The best way to get there from downtown...is to take highway 175 east, exit Buckner Blvd and take a right (Buckner is also called something like the Great Trinity Expressway) and go down a light or two until you hit Jim Miller. The entrance is less than 1/2 a mile on your left, past Jim Miller.

It is actually relatively safe to park your car in there.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM

I'll check that out. I stopped at the end of Bexar St today. It wasn't a nice neighborhood but there was another group of park-goers there so I figured it was pretty safe.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 PM

9,265 posts, read 5,781,633 times
Dallas Trinity Trails: Trails in the Great Trinity Forest Dallas, Texas

you might want to contact some of the people who maintain the trails, check out the comment section.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 AM

Now that I'm home, I can see that the directions given by dallas90210 leads to the Audubon Center. That certainly seems like a sensible place to park. I may check it out tomorrow before work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Dallas Trinity Trails: Trails in the Great Trinity Forest Dallas, Texas

you might want to contact some of the people who maintain the trails, check out the comment section.
That looks like an informative site. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:19 AM

5,268 posts, read 7,197,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Oh yeah, it's kind of close to the sphincter of Dallas - South Dallas. It's not only on the "southern end" of Dallas, but it's also got a lot of crime and a lot of blighted neighborhoods.

The best way to get there from downtown...is to take highway 175 east, exit Buckner Blvd and take a right (Buckner is also called something like the Great Trinity Expressway) and go down a light or two until you hit Jim Miller. The entrance is less than 1/2 a mile on your left, past Jim Miller.

It is actually relatively safe to park your car in there.
It was called Loop 12 (BTW Loop 12 is Northwest Highway, Buckner, Ledbetter, etc. The street is under many different names) until a few years ago, now it's called the Great Trinity Forest Way. The way the neighborhood looks has nothing to do with crime IMO. I've never seen a gun in the Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove, or the South Dallas areas of Dallas but I have seen one in North Dallas.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,792,030 times
LOL. Great Trinity Forest.

I went down there to see what the hype was.

A bunch of hackberry and elm trees, most barely 40 years old. With the osage orange, mesquite, juniper, and thorn trees slowly taking over.

If a real forest is desired, then I'd bulldoze 1 acre clearings and replant with oak, walnut, and sycamore. Add in ferns and moss.

There is nothing very redeeming about it from an ecological perspective right now.

I've seen remnants of the bottomland hardwoods in McKinney and its pretty amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The way the neighborhood looks has nothing to do with crime IMO. I've never seen a gun in the Oak Cliff, Pleasant Grove, or the South Dallas areas of Dallas but I have seen one in North Dallas.
Quite true. Its a function of demographics.

The GTF land is owned by the city of Dallas, so under state law, you can CHL. If you want to feel safer, then that is your option.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM

9,265 posts, read 5,781,633 times
It's been a long time since I was down there. Sorry to see that this summer the water department cut down a bunch of trees (100+ years) on the bluff. Let us know how it was Kenshi.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 PM

I went there today before work for about 30 minutes. All the trails I went on ended no more than about 1/2 mile from the center. If that's all there is, it's a little disappointing.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:26 PM

788 posts, read 1,341,668 times
Other then the audubon center the only parking areas now are 4900 River Oaks Dr. and the Loop 12 boat ramp at 4600 S. Loop 12 (Great Trinity Forest Way)

The other trails back up to neighborhoods, so the best thing to do is to read the blog that was posted to help with your question, parking access is mentioned on the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas